Ediqute/courtsey question

Guest abh3usn

Guest George V.O.

Just found this forum and it looks like a great place to find info!

For whatever it's worth, here was my experience at Fall Hershey: I registered my vehicle for the show on the last day they were accepting entrants. Within a few days, I received a brochure telling me about the meet and how to prepare my vehicle for judging (open hood, be prepared to open doors/answer questions, don't engage judges with questions, stay out of the way unless needed). Two weeks before Hershey I had taken my truck to a non-judged truck-only show in Winchester VA; this was my only experience in any show of any kind.

Let me add that I'm a hillbilly from the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and I'm not real comfortable in crowds/traffic. When I arrived at Hershey on Friday afternoon, I parked my truck/trailer in the parking lot that was shown on the map I was sent with my brochure. I went to the registration tent and received my packet and was told everything I needed to know... even which lane to drive in the next morning. I drove on at about 6:30 am Saturday and was guided to my parking spot. At just after 10:00 am, the Chief Judge told me they were about to judge my vehicle. They were extremely professional and asked me no questions.

Summary: Every single person I met from the AACA was helpful and courteous and made my first stressful show a great experience. I had planned on entering my truck in only small local shows, but now I'm glad that I went to "The Big One" and I now plan to enter in more AACA shows. As a retired Marine and former Drill Instructor, I'm a stickler for details and was completely impressed with how such a large show could be run so well. I give a big, heartfelt thank you to the people of the AACA... they worked like they were getting paid for it!

Take care, George

George It's great you had a good experience. You have to give credit to the Hershey crew since the do try to take the suggestions and make things better. When you think of the number of people that attend and the number of cars and traffic etc its amazing that it runs that smooth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">actually any point that i brought up could benefit ANYone showing a car. member of the aaca or not. so no, i would not call it a moot point.

if anything, it has opened up additional discussion that may otherwise have not happened</div></div>Until you join AACA and bring a car onto one of our showfields, what you have to say is a moot point.

We know the game, you don't, and you want to have fault with what we do???

Join the club, bring your car out, learn the system and then debate this, until then, go to another car club and bash their system.

Guest tcuda340

Thank you George for posting. It is nice to hear that the AACA is giving first timers more info after registering for their first show. All I had to go by was my expience in 2002 and was hoping someone could shed light on how it is today. I thought someone monitoring this thread might have spoke up and cleared all this confusion up days ago.

Guest George V.O.

Thanks to all for the welcome and kind words. You all seem to have a great club going and I'm glad to be a new member.

Rick, If I recall correctly, the green Chevy parked two spaces from mine was a FLAWLESS 1951. That truck was beautiful and was a well deserved winner. Congrats!

Take care, George

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tcuda340</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....and was hoping someone could shed light on how it is today. I thought someone monitoring this thread might have spoke up and cleared all this confusion up days ago. </div></div>

You did see where I researched the rules and posted them here for you, right? Those are the current rules.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George V.O.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... they worked like they were getting paid for it!

</div></div>

WHAT?!?!? shocked.gif You mean they lied and we aren't getting paid?!? cry.gif

Just kidding. wink.gifgrin.gif

Welcome George. It makes all of us feel very good when a newbie has a great first time experience.

Guest tcuda340

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tcuda340</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....and was hoping someone could shed light on how it is today. I thought someone monitoring this thread might have spoke up and cleared all this confusion up days ago. </div></div>

You did see where I researched the rules and posted them here for you, right? Those are the current rules. </div></div>

I was talking about what new members receive when they first register for a show. And George was the only one who shed any light on that aspect. Yes, I did see your post and responded to your reply as well.

Totally agree with tcuda. The more info the First Timer can get prior to showing, the better prepared. We were also sort of lost as to what was expected with the vehicle, had some difficulty getting straight directions to get our Registration packet, but then things calmed down and we had a GREAT time! We'll do it again for sure. A very helpful neighbor in our class told us the basics of what could and could not be in the car. That would be helpful to receive prior to arrival. We only receive our confirmation letter, no other info as to car prep, etc. Now we will be much better prepared for 2009! Thanks to all the AACA folks who were soooo nice and very friendly and helpful.

Many Team Captains will, if there is time available, go from vehicle to vehicle looking for things that need to be opened, removed, etc. to help first time folks at AACA shows. Many first time folks at our shows have shown at local shows and the rules are so much different.

What is acceptable there such as period correct maps and memorabilia, prior trophies won, front plates with names, etc. is not acceptable at our shows as far as being in/on the vehicle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">actually any point that i brought up could benefit ANYone showing a car. member of the aaca or not. so no, i would not call it a moot point.

if anything, it has opened up additional discussion that may otherwise have not happened</div></div>Until you join AACA and bring a car onto one of our showfields, what you have to say is a moot point.

We know the game, you don't, and you want to have fault with what we do???

Join the club, bring your car out, learn the system and then debate this, until then, go to another car club and bash their system. </div></div>

how can that be? the fact that I CURRENTLY don't own something "worthy of showing" at the fall hershey event (or any other aaca event for that matter - as i have a strong attachement to addtional chrome and metallic non-factory paints), means my questions warrant no validity, and are a moot point?

how is one to become more knowledgeable in the inner workings of how things operate, w/o asking questions, encouraging discussion, etc?? so i am just supposed to send in my $35, just to learn some more about what YOU can do for ME? i don't quite think that is how it will operate. seeing, and interacting with people, both live and in person, and *gasp* on the internet, are just two addtional ways to learn how the club operates. i hate to generalize the club in the fashion, as you being just a tiny percentage of the members really have no difference from anyone else to tell me what is moot. you, as i, are just one person. what says that your way, your thoughts, your methodology is correct?

i am sure that for as many people that are "siding" with you that i am the "apparent new bad seed", there are just as many people out there cheering me on, because i had enough kutspah, to voice my thoughts (as have several others). this has escelated to a point, where for me, it has become personal.

i'm sure this post will bring on yet another flurry of "me too" posts, but all i am trying to do is find out more about how things work. and judging by what i am seeing posted by a few, makes me wonder, and scratch my head.

bring on the onslought of quips, and nastygrams. I had never intended to be the trouble maker, i apparently have become around here. debate what? how silly i think some things are? i could go on for hours about that, but i won't. it's not worth my time, or yours for that matter. do you have any other clubs in mind that i could infiltrate, and bash then mr. ex98thdrill? i would love to hear your suggestions.

this thread would have been long dead with the likes of Henry Ford, and Harley Earl, and a bunch of others, had i not brought into question some issues that I FOUND ODD (i dont think i ever was saying it shouldn't be - just that i had never heard of something like opening doors etc. at ANY carshow that i have been to in the past 15+ years)

moot point. ha. you sir are a moot point. i shall not fire, until fired upon.

now where did i put that spare $35 i had? i might just join, so that way, WE sir, WE can be equals on the playing field. and I too can spout random bits of information around. How dandy would THAT be? you and I, in the same club. I can hardly wait.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ted sweet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think aaca membership s/b required to join this forum </div></div>

That is the most arrogant comment I have read yet in this thread. You obviously think you are better than everyone else and would deny people who are not members of AACA a chance to ask questions or get help with their car.

For the record, I have been a member just over a year. I have NEVER heard anyone express such a sentiment. My car is NOT 100% stock, but it IS period correct. I am sure you would look down your nose at people like me. I will probably never show at a National event and with an attitude like yours, I don't know why I should.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Etiquette/courtesy question!</span>

Gentlemen, the heading of this thread needs a little more attention. Please use some etiquette and courtesy! wink.gif

Wayne </div></div>

There is a very simple end to this thread:

It is about time that this thread recognize that there are people who do not want their car touched by anyone for any reason. Period.

If the rules for a show state that for your car to be judged, you put the top up, roll the windows up, open the hood/trunk, etc. and you have not done so when the judges come around , points are deducted. If you have forgotten to do this, or are not there, tough, you have learned a valuable lesson. Otherwise, display the Do Not Judge sign. There is no reason for anyone to touch anyone else's car without permission. End of story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill_Haegele</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There is a very simple end to this thread:

It is about time that this thread recognize that there are people who do not want their car touched by anyone for any reason. Period.</div></div>

The end is, follow the instructions as written from the AACA, stay with the vehicle until the judging team has finished their job. No one other than the owner will need to touch the vehicle. If the owner cannot, or chooses not to be there and does not want others touching the vehicles then put a blue <span style="font-weight: bold">Do Not Judge</span> windshield card on the vehicle and there is no issue.

We are NOT mindreaders. We as judges trained and authorized by the AACA are obligated to do the job that is expected of us by the Chief Judge and the Judging Committee. The owners have to let us know what they want or we will do as we have been trained to do.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill_Haegele</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There is a very simple end to this thread:

It is about time that this thread recognize that there are people who do not want their car touched by anyone for any reason. Period.</div></div>

The end is, follow the instructions as written from the AACA, stay with the vehicle until the judging team has finished their job. No one other than the owner will need to touch the vehicle. If the owner cannot, or chooses not to be there and does not want others touching the vehicles then put a blue <span style="font-weight: bold">Do Not Judge</span> windshield card on the vehicle and there is no issue.

We are NOT mindreaders. We as judges trained and authorized by the AACA are obligated to do the job that is expected of us by the Chief Judge and the Judging Committee. The owners have to let us know what they want or we will do as we have been trained to do.

</div></div>

Ummm, isn't that what I said?

It is also the JUDGES responsibility to let participants know what the rules are, maybe by putting them on the judging sheet or elsewhere in the registration package. Participants are not mind readers either. It cuts both ways.

Bill and others;

The point Susan is trying to make is that all judges have rules and guidelines to go by, <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">as written below</span></span>. Until these rules are changed there is no other criteria for judges to follow. As some have suggested, it is advantageous for you and others interested in the AACA Judging system to attend the judging schools put on at each AACA National Meet. We're not trying to be hard to get along with, it's just the rules we have to follow.

Judges Manual and Guidelines!

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It is also the JUDGES responsibility to let participants know what the rules are, maybe by putting them on the judging sheet or elsewhere in the registration package. Participants are not mind readers either. It cuts both ways. </div></div>

I don't know how many shows you have been invovled in nor do I knwo how many times you have judged at shows but I have probably been to close to 500 shows over the past 20 years (both AACA National Meets and local shows) and have judged in probably half of those - mainly local AACA shows and a few National Meets. While it is the responsibility of the show organizers to inform the participants as to the rules, the AACA does a GREAT job of providing that information prior to the meet. It is also the responsibility of the participants to ensure they knwo the rules without having to be bottle fed them.

BTW, I have never seen a car on a field yet that was so special that if a judge touched it, it would harm it. And with all due respect I doubt you have one that is so special that if a judge opens the door that it will harm it. My suggestion is that if you don't want you car to be touched that (1) you make sure you are there at judging time, (2) you enter as Do Not Judge or (3) you don't particpate. The rules are the rules and they are not subject to change for one person. THere have been hundreds of AACA NAtional Meets and as far as I know, a judge has NEVER harmed one vehicle out there by opening a door. I think participants eitehr need to learn to play by the rules or not play - pretty simple in my view.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill_Haegele</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ummm, isn't that what I said? </div></div>

Not exactly. You want us to go against our training and rules and not do what we have been trained to do. First timers get some latitude to need help. No judge or Team Captain will ever touch a car that the owner has said, or left a note, not to touch. Owners are asked to do all the touching. Some are totally comfortable with us doing the opening and closing of doors and ask us to do it. That is their choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is also the JUDGES responsibility to let participants know what the rules are,...</div></div>

No it is not my or any judge's responsibility to tell owners the rules. That is the responsibility of the group conducting the show to do that. I have not yet shown a car at an AACA event so I have not seen what all is included in the paperwork an owner gets. As judges we know the basics, windows up, tops up, trunk open and hoods up. Items that did not come with the vehicle from the factory should be removed if possible. If the owner refuses to comply with those rules then we start deducting. But they have to refuse in person for that to happen. Forgetting to do something is not refusing in person to comply with the rules.

I have been judging since Sept. 1991. If I am the Team Captain I will, if there is time (some judges breakfasts run longer than others and that cuts into spare time), walk the line of vehicles and help owners that either have not had enough time to read all that paperwork in the envelope or don't exactly understand all of it. It is my pleasure to help owners do the best that they can. First time people are "sweating bullets" a lot of the time. No matter what vehicle they brought, or the condition it is actually in, they are <span style="font-weight: bold">very</span> proud of it. Each vehicle, and owner(s), is treated with respect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....maybe by putting them on the judging sheet or elsewhere in the registration package. Participants are not mind readers either. It cuts both ways. </div></div>

I think that putting the basic rules on the back of the envelope (where the flap to open it is so that it cannot be missed) that is given to owners would be a good place. Don't bury it in with all the other paperwork. The judging sheet is for the team not the owner. Owners are welcome to look at it all they want before we arrive. In fact they should so that they know what we are looking at and what point value that area has.

I encourage everyone to go to the judges school, get a rule book and read it cover to cover, go to some CJEs and find out what the process is from the inside. This is not a "secret handshake" process. It is all out in the open for anyone that wants to know more about it.

OK, I have stayed out of this so far. While I might occasionally go off the deep end myself...

This is a hobby. It is supposed to be fun! A lot of good people have been criticized for trying to explain the judging system. They volunteer many hours at their own expense for the benefit of the hobby. The rules are the rules and Judges get very particular about trying to explain them exactly how they are written. (I know I am a bit ridgid and inflexible about this issue myself.)

There is enough room in the hobby for many people from many different backgrounds. There are also many different interests within the hobby.

Years ago, I participated in local shows. Sometimes the judging left much to be desired. In the past few years, I have become involved in National shows and been impressed enough with the judging, to get involved in national judging myself.

This year, I discovered Touring. Touring is more fun than any show.

Communication by typing alone leaves much to be desired. You miss the non-verbal clues, tone, inflection, facial expression, and so on and so forth. It is very easy to misunderstand what someone typed and get offended and then respond with something that will then further inflame emotions. I suggest that we listen to Wayne and try to be nice. Let's enjoy the hobby without raising anybody's blood pressure!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill_Haegele</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've offered my opinions and been roundly criticized for them. Guess I really don't care any more. </div></div>

No one has criticized you personally - they have criticized the fact that you criticize the AACA rules that 99% of the meet participants have no problem with AND you aren't really impacted by because, and correct me if I am wrong, you have never participated in an AACA National Meet. confused.gif Each poster has given you the solution - be with your car when it is judged or don't have it judged. I don't know how much simplier the AACA can make it. If I didn't want a judge touching my car (which as I stated - it is only a car - it won't hurt it!!) I would ensure I follwed the rules the AACA has in place for judging. I certainly would not come on the AACA forum and start criticizing them. That would be like me joining your local car clubs forum (if they have one) and saying how unbeliveable their rules are and how I can't believe your club actually has those rules in place all the while admitting I have never been to one fo your club meeting and probably won't ever. What would your membership say to that? Well I think we both know the answer to that. wink.gif

All this talk about judges touch your car is absurd!!!

I have been showing cars since the early 70’s and judging since the 80’s.

I have had all kind of damage done to my cars at shows but none by the judges.

I have even had my car trailer hit twice at shows.

If you are so protective of your car that you don’t want a knowledgeable judge touching it, you should not have it in a public show.

The worst was one year at Hershey I think it was around 1991, I was showing and Senior 64 Amphicar, back then the swap meet still went full on Saturday, I was out in the swap area when I returned I found my front bumper pointing to the ground instead of point forward.

I was told by the guy next to me that a really large woman and her large son were setting on the front bumper of my car, and if any of you are familiar with Amphicar front bumpers you can understand why it gave way and bent down. He said that she just said the bumper wasn’t made very well and Hershey should be sued for not providing her somewhere to set and she walked off.

I have had my light turned on so my battery was dead, lost a cigar lighter, I have returned to find 2 people setting in my car eating their lunch and numerous scratches. Not all at AACA Shows.

So if you worried about a judge opening your door, you should keep you car locked up somewhere or at a minimum never let it let of your site.

I for one, judge and show so I always leave the Judges a note telling them what team I am on and telling them to do whatever they need to do they have my permission. I usually leave my car open but several times when it was raining I have returned to find the judges close up the car.

Not to Stereotype but I have found the people at a AACA National Events are more car savvy and act appropriately and keep the kids acting appropriately that at local shows.

But you find stupid people with no respect for cars or anything everywhere.

Unless you keep your car in a vacuum, it is going to get damaged.

Guest George V.O.

On a side note; I was standing in front of my truck at the Hershey show in class 22C and I watched a guy walk to each truck and open the passenger door, then shut it. I assumed he was one of the judges with a stack of judging sheets, placing one in each truck. After he passed by, I checked the seat and it was a flyer for another car show. I didn't think it was that strange until I told someone else about it and they said that that was a big no-no. I'm not that touchy about my vehicle (probably because it's a truck), so I didn't stress over it, but I can see where some people might get mad.

Take care, George

Guest windjamer

Bill getting my senior at cumberland this year was pretty special, preservation at hershey was frosting on the cake,BUT at a local show this year a handycaped boy about ten was trying to see inside my buick. I picked him up opened the drivers door and sit him behind the wheel. His eyes lit up like stars in the sky, Mom got a little teary eyed and I got a real good feeling. Now thats special, Try it,you will like it. Once again its a car,only a car

wj, We had similar things happen over the years with our Legends racecar. A group of handicapped adults came to the local track. Anyone that could fit into Bill's racing seat was allowed to do so. The group went down the row of cars on the track and came back to have a group photo taken with our car. The man that brought them from the group home said that we were the only people that let them get into the car, so that is why they wanted their photo taken with our car.

They were all very careful around the car. Not that they could hurt it after all the times Bill got wrecked by others. whistle.gifgrin.gif

Never at any time have I ever questioned vehicle ownership or condition of any vehicle that you may or may not own. You do not have to own a vehicle to belong to AACA. You may be a member, or you may not be, and with that in mind, that is entirely your choice. You can bring in a Ford Pinto to a national meet that is rusted so bad that the doors touch the ground when you open them up, and as long as you've paid your dues, and properly entered the vehicle into a national meet, you have every right to do so.

I have tried to answer your questions in a polite manner, but it appears that you haven't been able to understand.

Judge's don't touch cars unless they have to. Yes if your vehicle didn't have the hood open, trunk, etc. then you would face a deduction. The judge's open doors and hoods only when absolutely necessary, and only to benefit the owner in winning awards and not from a wrongfull deduction.

As I've mentioned before

1. Be with your vehicle during judging.

2. Enter the vehicle as a Do Not Judge.

3. Don't bring a fire extinguisher and take the disqualification.

That isn't hard, that isn't rude, but if you haven't already done so, I would encourage you to join AACA, and get involved with the system. If you learn the system, you'll understand. If you don't like the system, come to one of our events, attend the Judging Schools and Roundtable Discussions, and you can voice your displeasure face to face with our national officers. They can address the issue and make the necessary changes, while none of us on this Forum can.

As I've asked you before, please don't blast our procedures over the internet without trying to learn the system, and don't blast our ways if you're not willing to get involved.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windjamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill getting my senior at cumberland this year was pretty special, preservation at hershey was frosting on the cake,BUT at a local show this year a handycaped boy about ten was trying to see inside my buick. I picked him up opened the drivers door and sit him behind the wheel. His eyes lit up like stars in the sky, Mom got a little teary eyed and I got a real good feeling. Now thats special, Try it,you will like it. Once again its a car,only a car </div></div>

At our last company sponsored event this past September, I allowed a visually handicapped women I had never met before to sit in my car. I also guided her hand up and down the entire length of my car so she could "see" what it "looked" like. I have done this many times with children and adults, handicapped or not. Difference is, it was done with my knowledge and permission.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill_Haegele</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

At our last company sponsored event this past September, I allowed a visually handicapped women I had never met before to sit in my car. I also guided her hand up and down the entire length of my car so she could "see" what it "looked" like. I have done this many times with children and adults, handicapped or not. Difference is, it was done with my knowledge and permission. </div></div>

And when you enter an AACA meet they will only touch your car with your knowledge or permission because when you enter the show as a judged participant, you agree to either be there when the car is judged or allow them to open your car doors.

Again, what is so special about your car that a judge can't open the door?!?!?!?

Guest windjamer

Bob, at the fall meet in Hershey I think it was 1999, the right side wiper on a car we where judging had sliped down on the cowel,there was a chance it could scratch the paint so the chasis judge gently lifted it to place it back on the glass. The blade was not connected to the arm and fell off. I wonder if maby Bill forgot the pin in the door hinge??

Guest Bluesky636

Personal attacks now? Your comments only demean yourselves and the club you supposedly represent. If you are representative of the caliber of people in this club, looks like I made a mistake in joining.

And as far as who I allow to touch my car and why, I don't owe an explanation to anyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill_Haegele</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personal attacks now? Your comments only demean yourselves and the club you supposedly represent. If you are representative of the caliber of people in this club, looks like I made a mistake in joining.

And as far as who I allow to touch my car and why, I don't owe an explanation to anyone. </div></div>

BUT....when you enter an AACA National Meet you are either giving permission for the car to be touched by the judges OR you agree to be there when they judge it. I am an easy guy to get along with but I can't for the life of me understand why if you have such a hard time accepting the rules of the AACA why you enter the show? I was taught as a young boy to play by the rules. That is all anyone here is asking for you to do - accept the rules or don't play on the show field. The AACA is NOT going to change their way of judging cars (that has been successful for years now) just because you don't like them.

Guest Stonefish

Ok...the original slap or reality on this thread was the knowing that an AACA judge has a green light to open HOODS, TRUNKS and put TOPS up. Not sure where the doors came in....not from me. I let judges and spectators open my doors.

Now, we know just from this year's Hershey (by Shop Rat's statements) that a knowing judge left his car not as open as it should...this car was then opened by the judges.

Again, my ignorance that this was an acceptable practice. I have my cars open, I'm there. It comes back to my wondering how an AACA judge can possibly know how to release hoods and trunks on the various types of cars on an AACA show field. I just feel it is safer to deduct and move on, rather than dig around under the dash...in the glove box looking for a release?? Trust me...I'll never do it!

An owner could be pulled away from their car for many reasons...I had mutiple cars on this year's show field and spent most of the morning jumping back and forth between rows keeping an eye on the judge's movements in case there was any question...which it did at both locations.

It has NOTHING to do with, "I think my car is so great..blah, blah....blah"

What if, in Shop Rat's case this year...the man left the car to go judge...didn't put the other side of his hood up because there is something wrong with the hinges...got sidetracked be a spectator and didn't leave "the note". The judges come by...Oh, we have to open this other side and mess something up. All I'm saying...could happen, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stonefish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok...the original slap or reality on this thread was the knowing that an AACA judge has a green light to open HOODS, TRUNKS and put TOPS up.</div></div>

Whoa, back the wagon up. None of us said that judges of any kind put tops up. We do not do that, ever. Hoods and trunks, yes. Tops, not on your life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now, we know just from this year's Hershey (by Shop Rat's statements) that a knowing judge left his car not as open as it should...this car was then opened by the judges.</div></div>

We sure did. I e-mailed Fred and told him about this thread and asked if he had any issue with us opening the hood and leaving it for him to lower and he said he did not. He teaches the very classes where we are taught to do so.

Here is his reply to my question if it was okay for us to open the passenger side of his car's hood and that we left it up for him to lower when he got back to the car.

<span style="color: #3366FF">"Personally, it was OK with me that you opened the passenger side of the hood and left it up since it is tricky to get back down without scratching the fender." Fred Young</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have my cars open, I'm there.</div></div>

Awesome. That way we get to meet you as well as see the vehicle. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It comes back to my wondering how an AACA judge can possibly know how to release hoods and trunks on the various types of cars on an AACA show field.</div></div>

If among five team members we don't know how, we won't attempt it. We would check back to see if the owner has come back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just feel it is safer to deduct and move on, rather than dig around under the dash...in the glove box looking for a release?? Trust me...I'll never do it!</div></div>

We follow the rules of our training. Again, if we don't know how we will not attempt it. You are at your vehicle and that is what needs to happen if at all possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An owner could be pulled away from their car for many reasons...I had mutiple cars on this year's show field and spent most of the morning jumping back and forth between rows keeping an eye on the judge's movements in case there was any question...which it did at both locations.</div></div>

That is where a note to the Team Captain with your cellphone number on it can help the team. We know where to find you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if, in Shop Rat's case this year...the man left the car to go judge...didn't put the other side of his hood up because there is something wrong with the hinges...got sidetracked be a spectator and didn't leave "the note". The judges come by...Oh, we have to open this other side and mess something up. All I'm saying...could happen, right? </div></div>

Sure, it could happen. But any owner truly concerned about such an issue would make sure the Team Captain knew before leaving.