Ediqute/courtsey question

Guest abh3usn

I judged at a show yesterday. In the class I judged (sports cars) , several cars did not have the hood or convertible top up. Several owners were present and we asked if they would open the hood for judging which wasn't a problem. Many of the folks were not AACA members and were not familiar with the judging rules. On the instruction of my senior judge I opend several hoods when owners were not present. My question is, is this correct for a judge to do? Or do you take the 40 points off for not having the hood up?

The Team Captain is supposed to open the hoods, unless they are unable to do so. I have on more than one occasion had someone else open a hood because I am only 5'5" and have tendon damage in my right elbow which I have broken twice. And some of the hoods/vehicles could have been damaged if I lost control of the hood. Some of them are very heavy or awkward to handle. I would rather let someone stronger/taller than me open/close a hood. I feel that common sense should apply if the rule endangers the condition of a vehicle. I am sure the owners would agree.

If a hood/trunk cannot be opened, top put up etc. then you must deduct the maximum points for that component since it cannot be judged. There are exceptions like batteries that are under seats etc. WE do not remove anything to see something else.

If the owner is present is it always best to ask them to open hoods, trunks and doors.

Guest Stonefish

Whoa...you are actually saying, if a car does not have the hood up or top up, the judges have the right to do open things up!?! I thought judges never to touch the cars in such a way?? If he hood and top are not open or up...move on, and deduct the points. The owner should know what the rules are at an AACA event.

Where is the liabilty if some judge tried to put a manual top up, does not know the correct procedure and rips a nice hole in the top. Same goes with the hood...I can not believe a judge would attempt to open the hood of a car when the owner is not present!

Am I missing something here??

We did not attempt to raise convertiable tops, just deducted as we could not inspect them. We did ask owners to open hoods as well. Maybe it was a mistake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stonefish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whoa...you are actually saying, if a car does not have the hood up or top up, the judges have the right to do open things up!?!</div></div>

In the absence of the owner the Team Captain can open the hood. The Interior Judge can open doors to judge the interior. We do not put tops up.

Sometimes it is raining, or the documentation is in the trunk and they don't want it stolen or damaged, and other judges/or an admin. worker will leave the hood down and the trunk closed to prevent damage. One judge at the Hornets Nest Region show this year gave me the keys to his car to do that. We had a safe place to hide the key when we were done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought judges never to touch the cars in such a way??</div></div>

Yes, we do when it is necessary. All vehicles are treated with the utmost respect and care.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If he hood and top are not open or up...move on, and deduct the points. The owner should know what the rules are at an AACA event.</div></div>

As I stated above sometimes there is a good reason. If the owner leaves the hood down, trunk down, locks the doors and leaves (as happened a couple years ago at Heshey in the rain) we did disqualify the car. We had no choice. Did not want to do that since it was a nice car but we had no choice. No one knew where the owner had gone. We finished the class and walked back to see if he/she had come back maybe from a restroom run. No one had seen them so we struck through the judging sheet and put a note about what had gone on so that Admin. knew the car had not been missed and that we had tried twice to judge it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is the liabilty if some judge tried to put a manual top up, does not know the correct procedure and rips a nice hole in the top.</div></div>

Not an issue since we do not put tops up. We just deduct points as if it was not there. Trust me, I have had to ask a few owners to put the top up, especially if it was their first AACA show. So that means they did not know the rules. They were used to local shows where they tend to show them in good weather with the tops down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same goes with the hood...I can not believe a judge would attempt to open the hood of a car when the owner is not present!</div></div> In judging school, which we must attend once per year, we are told that Team Captains can do that. I would never attempt to open a hood that I could not safely handle. I have in the past asked another team member to do that to protect the vehicle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I missing something here?? </div></div>

Only that you have not attended a judges training class. Which every owner that can should do. It is very interesting and informative, and well worth the time to do. CJE's are also something that owners can attend. None of the classes cost anything and you get a free Judges Guidebook at the first one you go to. I call that a bargain.

I think there's a difference here. Shop Rat is talking about national meets. What regions do on their local shows is their business. As for AACA judging procedures, that only applies to national meets. You can't show a vehicle at an AACA national meet unless you're an AACA member. If a local region chooses to follow AACA national judging guidelines at their local shows, that's their option, but it is not required.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shop Rat is talking about national meets.</div></div>

That is correct. I honestly missed this in the original thread.

<span style="color: #3366FF">"Many of the folks were not AACA members" </span>

I thought he was talking about the AACA meet at Cleveland.

Because of our training with the AACA Bill and I found it hard to judge at local shows where the standards are so different. So we stopped judging at local shows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because of our training with the AACA Bill and I found it hard to judge at local shows where the standards are so different. So we stopped judging at local shows</div></div>To add to that, that's why we don't show our vehicles at a lot of local shows because of the lower standards or lack of. Usually we'll do a cruise night, or if we do go to a show it is usually where the national winners are kept separate. That way we're not taking anything away from anyone else, and we're not being misjudged.

Guest Stonefish

I'm just surprised…wasn't there discussion on here, like last year, about judges using bumpers to help them get up from judging undercarriages and how that was such a no-no...and now we have a judge opening up hoods.

I keep picturing my Father's 35 Ford…and how you had to be so careful not to hit and scratch the head lights. Oh well...

There is a dfferance in opening the hood or door to perform the duty of a judge and being disrespectful of the vehicle and it's owner by using the car as a leaning post, getting up or down aid, etc.

Also, the team captain will usally try to have the owner open doors, sometime the owner will tell him/her to go ahead and open it. At the AACA National meets, the hood is suppose to already be up but sometimes it isn't due to the onwer forgot, weather, etc. In the case of the hood, there is 100 points there thay can't be judged if it isn't open. Again, opening and closing is done carefully if the judging team has to do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stonefish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just surprised…wasn't there discussion on here, like last year, about judges using bumpers to help them get up from judging undercarriages and how that was such a no-no...and now we have a judge opening up hoods.</div></div>

Yes, I remember that discussion and that is the case. Judges should not lean on, enter or otherwise touch the vehicles. We are to see with our eyes and not our hands. The exceptions are the hood and the doors if the owner is not there. If the trunk is not locked we can open that also. If it is locked deductions will be taken. The owner should always be given the opportunity to open hoods, trunks and doors. Even if the hood and trunk are open the owner should still be asked if they would prefer to open the doors for the interior judge. MANY times they tell us it is fine for the interior judge to open it.

If an owner does not want their vehicle touched at all by judges in any way then they need to stay with that vehicle until the judging is complete. There are owners that unlock the car and leave to go look at other cars.

AACA has insurance incase of accidental damage. It is a calulated risk on everyone's part to be at a show no matter why you are there. Most judges are/were vehicle owners themselves. They are careful around other people's vehicles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I keep picturing my Father's 35 Ford…and how you had to be so careful not to hit and scratch the head lights. Oh well... </div></div>

AACA shows are different in so many ways from local shows. We do have high standards about how things are done and by whom.

I have been judging since Sept. 1990. In all that time I have never been on a team where any damaged was done to a vehicle that our teams judged. I feel that most people can say the same.

The simple answer is, we do not remove one item to see another (batteries under floorboards), we do not open glove boxes to see what the interior of it is like, we are not allowed to ask the owner to start the vehicle to check hide-away headlights or any other feature (ie. radios, self storing tops etc.).

In a way it is not fair because a car with regular headlamps will have them judged. A car with hide-away headlamps could have Halogen headlamps (a mandatory 10 point deduction) and get away with it.

The only fair thing to do is get the rules changed by going to the committee and pleading the case of fair for one should be fair for all.

Susan, with the headlights, I'd leave it what it is. If you change the rules to dictate a vehicle with hideaway headlights, then do you hold cars with 4 headlights to a higher or lower standard than a vehicle with two headlights???

As Doug already mentions, there are cars with batteries exposed, unexposed, leaf spring covers, etc.

....I'd leave it what it is.

Having judged at 100's of local shows (and have served as Chief Judge in many of them), I NEVER open a hood, trunk or raise a top if it is down. I also instruct our judges not to touch the car with the exception of opening a door and that only applies to the interior judge. If a car's hood or trunk isn't open or top is down and I can't find the owner, the car loses the points for that section.

We announce over and over that hoods, trunks and tops should be up - if the owners choose to ignore that, they lose points.

I'm also wondering what happens in the case of a car with no convertible top, delivered only with a hardtop, that is being shown without ANY top. Do you deduct max. points for this too? To me, it is absolutely absurd to not require hidden headlights to be opened, power antennas up, etc. JUST like a convertible top should be up. I agree with other statements here, a judge should never open anything but a door.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nearchoclatetown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm also wondering what happens in the case of a car with no convertible top, delivered only with a hardtop, that is being shown without ANY top. Do you deduct max. points for this too? </div></div>

Since the car left the factory with a top and since the car is being judged against how it left the factory, I would say it loses max points for having no top at the show

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Susan, with the headlights, I'd leave it what it is. If you change the rules to dictate a vehicle with hideaway headlights, then do you hold cars with 4 headlights to a higher or lower standard than a vehicle with two headlights???</div></div>

It really has never seemed quite fair, since they changed the rule about Halogen headlights. It used to be 5 points per headlight for Halogens. Then a few folks with four of them felt that they got hit too hard at 20 points. The committee agreed with them and made it a mandatory 10 points no matter how many someone had. How is that more fair to the guy with one vs. the guy with four (and yes I have seen that situation)? My vote would be to take 3 points off per headlight for Halogens for a total of no more than 12 points if someone had four headlights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....I'd leave it what it is. </div></div>

I am not advocating that it be changed, just that is what it will take to make it fair for all concerned.

The one true thing is that this is a HOBBY, it is not life and death.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nearchoclatetown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with other statements here, a judge should never open anything but a door. </div></div>

AACA set up the rules. We obey them as written. As I stated before, if an owner does not want anyone touching the car they should make sure they are with the car at all times until the juding team has finished judging their car.

When they unlock the car and walk away, and stay away, we follow the rules and judge the car. If the owner left a message to not open the hood, trunk or doors that would be honored. It is still their vehicle and they make the rules about what happens at a show to that vehicle. But they better be ready to not get an award.

Guest Stonefish

The judging manual now states that notes must be left behind if you sneak off for a crab cake!? Granted...I know what is expected when I show a car at an AACA event, but seeing some of the questions that have been posted here about a person's first time showing...I wonder... what about the first time person...with his million dollar ride, had the hood down...takes off for a pile of fries to come back to find someone when ahead an opened the car up. Hmmm..I can just imagine the feelings there. I still can't imagine a judge would go ahead and touch another person's car in such a way.

Yes...I have never been to a judging school...but I don't have to go to a class to know, you don't go fiddling around another person's car trying to open a hood...be it a local AACA event or a national AACA event.

Really...I'm a VW guy, would you want me, as a potential head judge, try to figure out how to open your hood? One of my cars is a two person operation...I can just imagine someone just yanking and yanking on the release, trying to get the hood to "pop." It ain't going to happen! You can go to a slew of classes...is it really going to give you the know how on the proper technique on opening the countless number of hood releases out there?

I was just wondering....is this all stated in the Judges Guidelines somewhere? I scanned them and didn't see anything that states: "when you come upon a car this does not have hood or top up, the head judge will then proceed to open such things?"

Again...I know the rules and have my stuff open and up. I'm just trying to clear some "mud"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stonefish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The judging manual now states that notes must be left behind if you sneak off for a crab cake!? </div></div>

Please re-read this: <span style="color: #3333FF">If the owner left a message to not open the hood, trunk or doors that would be honored. </span>

I did not say that the judging manual states that notes must be left behind. I said IF a note was left the team would go by what it said. In my opinion the owner has the responsibility to be there or make sure that the team knows, either by a note or asking the neighboring owner to let us know, that they had to leave and will or will not be returning. That is just common sense. If they plan to come right back we will either go judge another car or give them a chance to come back within a reasonable time for the errand they went on. They do not get to make a "bathroom run" and come back three hours later with a wagon full of parts and a crab cake sandwich. Unless they brought a crab cake sandwich with mayo for me. grin.gif

For eighteen years I have sat in a judging school once a year, and a CJE every year (sometimes two) and been told that Team Captains, in the absence of the owner, can open hoods and trunks and that the interior judge can open doors. I didn't make the rules I just go by them.

Again, any owner that objects to that should stay with their car until the judging team has finished with it. They all know when judging starts and they see the Team Captain verifying which owners/cars are there and who is not to report back to Admin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes...I have never been to a judging school...</div></div>

You should go. smile.gif It is FREE. You get a copy of the Judging Guidelines. What a deal!! laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just wondering....is this all stated in the Judges Guidelines somewhere? I scanned them and didn't see anything that states: "when you come upon a car this does not have hood or top up, the head judge will then proceed to open such things?"</div></div>

It has been part of the judge's training class for at least eighteen years. Probably longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again...I know the rules and have my stuff open and up.</div></div>

And that is what every owner should do if at all possible. We all understand that bad weather dictates that hoods and trunks be down to protect the car. As the Team Captain I went from car to car at Hershey, I think the last year it was on the lot by the stadium, a couple years ago before the judging started and told the owners to keep the hoods/trunks down until we got to their car. To wait and only raise each one just enough for the judges to peak under and see what they needed to. The owners were very grateful that I told them that in advance. As luck would have it the rain stopped and we got the vehicles judged with no problems.

The guy that wrote the original question had been at a local show. Here we are talking about AACA rules which are different. Local shows have people judge cars with little or no training at all. The folks that judge at AACA shows at least have been through a training class and an apprentice class before they ever are on a team. They are placed on teams to start out with that have several experienced judges to help train them. They don't just turn a group of newly trained people loose on the show field.

Guest windjamer

shoprat, where dammed if we do and dammed if we dont. A new member came to me last week and complaned that the judgeing team at Hershey gave a first to a car that he thought should not have rec. even a 3ed. He told me that the teams knew the owner and thats why he got a first.He said he knew this because he saw the main guy (his words)talking to the owner and shaking his hand. took me twenty min. to explane that we are told to think the owner, and introduce our self and just because he shook the guys hand didnt mean that they where frends. Put your judges hat on and some one told me the average person sees judge as expert, I say we are like gold fish in a bowl,everybody is watching.

wj, everything you put is true. I was always told that owners, especially the first time people, are "sweating bullets". That we must not point at cars, because they can take it the wrong way. A judge saw an awesome feature and pointed it out and the owner is freaking out wondering what was wrong with that part. They will run to that spot and look and look trying to see something that was not meant to show something wrong.

We walk a very fine line when we judge the vehicles. We are the "expert" to those owners when we put that hat and badge on. That is why we must do our level best to be fair and equal from vehicle to vehicle and owner to owner.

Guest imported_Matt M, PA

While it's true we must go by the rules...I think any AACA member that attends a show...trying to a particular award...should be with their vehicle until it is judged. Yes, we all need to make "pit stops" and such....but at every show where my car was judged, I could see the team coming and made sure my trunk was open, windows up, etc. I also thought it imperative to be with the car while they were there should they have questions, etc.

I understand what the rules are about opening hoods. However, I think it's crazy to expect judges to open the hood and trunk before judging. The owner surely knows the drill...and should ensure his vehicle is ready to be judged.

In part of this thread is was asked if a car with 4 headlights is held to a higher standard than a car with 2. The simple answer is...the more parts...the more chances for deduction.A car with factory A/C like my '72 Scamp has many more parts under the hood than a car without...so there are more things that could be chipped, defective, incorrect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt M, PA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand what the rules are about opening hoods. However, I think it's crazy to expect judges to open the hood and trunk before judging. The owner surely knows the drill...and should ensure his vehicle is ready to be judged.</div></div>

Matt M, Honestly the times that I have had to open a hood or trunk, or have been on a team where the Team Captain had to, have been rare. It mostly happens in bad weather, or bad weather is predicted, and the owner is usually another judge or someone working at the show that can't be there when the judging team arrives. Most of the time they find the Team Captain for their class and let them know that the hood and trunk are down and why. And if there is a trick to opening/shutting them they share that. I have even had them tell me which class they will be judging/being Team Captain in incase they are needed, and give me their cellphone number just incase. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In part of this thread is was asked if a car with 4 headlights is held to a higher standard than a car with 2. The simple answer is...the more parts...the more chances for deduction.A car with factory A/C like my '72 Scamp has many more parts under the hood than a car without...so there are more things that could be chipped, defective, incorrect. </div></div>

Right you are. The more "plain jane" the car the higher the likelyhood it will do well. Less stuff to be able to deduct from. grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it's crazy to expect judges to open the hood and trunk before judging.</div></div>The only issue you ever have with hoods being closed is with the newbys. I've never judged a vehicle going for a Senior, AGNM or Senior AGNM that didn't have the hood up. It just doesn't happen.

Guest Bluesky636

I don't go to shows to have my car judged.

I go to shows to have fun.

Therefore there is no need for anyone to ever touch my car and I prefer it that way.

I have seen too many "trophy hounds" argue about this, that, and the other. Spoils the fun for everyone else in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't go to shows to have my car judged.

Therefore there is no need for anyone to ever touch my car and I prefer it that way.</div></div>On a local level we do the same thing, but if you're showing up to a national meet, put a Do not Judge on it, and save the Judge's time and aggravation. If you don't, and your hood gets raised to judge your car, you're a victim of your own problems....

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't go to shows to have my car judged.

Therefore there is no need for anyone to ever touch my car and I prefer it that way.</div></div>On a local level we do the same thing, but if you're showing up to a national meet, put a Do not Judge on it, and save the Judge's time and aggravation. If you don't, and your hood gets raised to judge your car, you're a victim of your own problems.... </div></div>

What makes you think I don't put a "Do Not Judge sign" on it? Besides, the "Do Not Touch" signs that are placed on the car apply to judges too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill_Haegele</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides, the "Do Not Touch" signs that are placed on the car apply to judges too. </div></div>

If your vehicle does not have a blue <span style="font-weight: bold">Do Not Judge </span>window card, then it will be judged according to the rules of the AACA which includes opening hoods and trunks if they are not already open for whatever reason. If your vehicle is being judged, you will be asked to remove the <span style="font-weight: bold">Do Not Touch</span> signs/magnets as the vehicle did not come from the factory with them in place. And many times owners try to use them to cover bad places in the paint or an area of rust. If the owner refuses to remove them while the vehicle is being judged then deductions will be taken per item.

One more time: <span style="font-weight: bold">Owners that do not want anyone touching their vehicle while it is being judged should stay with the vehicle until judging is complete. They should be available to open trunks, hoods and doors for the members of the judging team.</span>

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill_Haegele</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides, the "Do Not Touch" signs that are placed on the car apply to judges too. </div></div>

If your vehicle does not have a blue <span style="font-weight: bold">Do Not Judge </span>window card, then it will be judged according to the rules of the AACA which includes opening hoods and trunks if they are not already open for whatever reason. If your vehicle is being judged, you will be asked to remove the <span style="font-weight: bold">Do Not Touch</span> signs/magnets as the vehicle did not come from the factory with them in place. And many times owners try to use them to cover bad places in the paint or an area of rust. If the owner refuses to remove them while the vehicle is being judged then deductions will be taken per item.

One more time: <span style="font-weight: bold">Owners that do not want anyone touching their vehicle while it is being judged should stay with the vehicle until judging is complete. They should be available to open trunks, hoods and doors for the members of the judging team.</span>

</div></div>

Like I said, I go to shows to have fun, not to be judged.

Ex98th was simply letting you know the best way of handling things.

At an AACA National Meet, if you register the car in a judged class, and don't specify at that time it will be entered as a "do not judge", and then you stick a do not judge sign on it, you create headaches for the judging team. Now the team captain has to ge through the deal with Adminatrastion explaining why he doesn't have the cars score sheet, etc which adds to the time getting all the teams through admin, etc.

As Shoprat pointed out, judges in doing thier job on the show field will ignore the Do Not Touch signs in order to perform thier duties if the car owner can't be located. Which goes back to the point Ex98th was making; if you don't want the car judged and to make sure judges do not touch it, make sure your car is registered as "do not judge" so it has the Blue window card and the judges won't touch it as there will be no need to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill_Haegele</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Like I said, I go to shows to have fun, not to be judged. </div></div>

Then make sure you don't have it judged by follwing the rules of the show.

I am not sure what the big deal is about a judge touching anyone's car. I have two Senior Cars and I don't care if a judge touches them or not - in fact I would think if anyone understands how we feel about our cars it would be a judge and I have full confidence that he/she will treat my car properly.

After all, it is only a car smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob Hill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not sure what the big deal is about a judge touching anyone's car. I have two Senior Cars and I don't care if a judge touches them or not - in fact I would think if anyone understands how we feel about our cars it would be a judge and I have full confidence that he/she will treat my car properly.

After all, it is only a car smirk.gif </div></div>

Case in point at the Hershey show which we just got home from today. I was the Team Captain for the team judging class 20e (1938-39 production cars excluding Fords). The one car going for it's Senior award belonged to Fred Young, the man that usually teaches the judging school. I happened to be checking the cars to see who was there and Fred was writing a note to let the team know where we could find him if we needed him since he was also judging. I introduced myself and told him we would take very good care of his car. He had only opened one side of the hood on the car. With the help of one of the other judges on the team (taller and stronger than I am) we gently and very carefully opened the other side of the hood. We left it in that postion for Fred to close it. I will guarantee you that he did not have a problem with that.

Guest Stonefish

I still find this odd. especially, if Fred is a judge. Why didn't he have everything open as needed? You may have known Fred...but what if it was someone that never showed a car at an AACA event before...would you have opened up the car?? Do you think that owner would have had a problem with it??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stonefish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still find this odd. especially, if Fred is a judge. Why didn't he have everything open as needed?</div></div>

I can't answer that. I know he was in a hurry to get to his class, I think he was Team Captain also. We have duties before the judging starts. We must verify who showed up and who didn't to report back to Admin. We must verify that the information on the windshield card is correct for the vehicle and has not been tampered with. We usually take a quick look at the vehicles, we look for fire extinquishers in advance if we have time. Maybe he was in a rush and just forgot. Maybe he counted on us to lift the other side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may have known Fred</div></div>

Yes, we do know each other, hard not to after so many years taking classes from him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...but what if it was someone that never showed a car at an AACA event before...would you have opened up the car??</div></div>

Simple answer is yes I would. It is my <span style="font-weight: bold">job</span> to do so if the owner is not available to do so. In 20e all of the owners but Fred were there or a respresentative was there. So we had them open doors, hoods and trunks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think that owner would have had a problem with it??</div></div>

If they did then the Chief Judge would let them know that the Team Captain is authorized by the AACA to open hoods. The Team Captain or the Interior Judge is authorized by the AACA to open hoods and/or trunks. They would be told for the future that if they do not want Team Captains/Interior Judges to open hoods/trunks/doors that they must stay with the vehicle until judging of it is completed.

It is the rules. We go by them.