63 Transmission Repair

MCM Realtor

I have a '63 Riviera and the transmission is not going into reverse any more. Does anyone know of a repair shop in the Dallas TX area that they recommend? Does it sound like I need a rebuild of the transmission? It shifts fine when driving, it has been leaking some transmission fuild and now it will not go in reverse. Thanks. Ed Murchison 214-395-7151

Sounds like an internal seal leak. Did you check fluid level? If fluid level is correct (check while engine is running, in Park) then yes it sounds like transmission needs a rebuild.

I don't know if a rebuilder in the area but I know others on the list do.

Ed,

What probably happened is that the reverse band servo strut fell out. This happens as the reverse band wears and is not periodically adjusted. I'm not sure that this strut can be repositioned correctly without disassembly of the transmission. Probably a good time to freshen up the Dynaflow anyway!

Tim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tim63riv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ed,

What probably happened is that the reverse band servo strut fell out. This happens as the reverse band wears and is not periodically adjusted. I'm not sure that this strut can be repositioned correctly without disassembly of the transmission. Probably a good time to freshen up the Dynaflow anyway!

Tim </div></div>

Tim-

I could not find a procedure in the shop manual to adjust this reverse band periodically. Where is it?

Jim,

5-65 and 5-66 in the 1963 Chassis service manual. I don't see a maintenance interval listed, but that was something that was done back in the day. I also have a Motor's manual from 1963 that details the procedure, but again, not the interval. Might be because it is only able to be done by "feel" when the transmission is in the car. The information on the strut falling out came from Tom Telesco, a very reliable source. I'll be going through a 63 Dynaflow in the coming weeks as my Black car seems to have developed a pump to converter seal leak that is pretty bad. I'll keep in touch!

Thanks,

Tim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tim63riv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim,

5-65 and 5-66 in the 1963 Chassis service manual. I don't see a maintenance interval listed, but that was something that was done back in the day. I also have a Motor's manual from 1963 that details the procedure, but again, not the interval.</div></div>

Tim-

The shop manual says to change fluid every 25,000 miles, so perhaps that is the frequency they would expect reverse band adjustment. I've never done it on my car and thought I should. But then I could not find the procedure. I'll dig into the books tonight where you directed me.