seat belt ticket

bassman

My granddaughters  were here this summer (upstate NY) for 5 weeks from Florida. I had to go to the bank downtown, a quarter mile, and asked them if they wanted to ride along. They quickly scrambled in the front and found them searching for seat belts. Pappa (me) told them no belts  in the Franklin. They werent real happy but I proceeded down the street. They insisted on sitting on the floor until we got back home. The teller asked me if they would like a sucker, and amazingly they reappeared  on the seat long enough to get the sugar. 

IMG_20220624_195250221.jpg

IMG_20220624_195040512_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220624_195203473.jpg

Edited by mikewest (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 5 months later...

Seems hard to require kids be belted in a car not required to be equipped with them.   Sounds like more legislation that was rammed through without clear wording for every circumstance.  Yup happened back then and now as well.  Why all laws should have long periods of debate and carefully scrutinized before they are finally signed in or rejected entirely on grounds they are unconstitutional.  Not just ram it through and figure it out in the courts later.

Problem is the laws have standing until they are stricken down and in some cases can take your rights away.  Including the fundamental 1st and 2nd.  NY is mighty good at just ramming crap through though.  Look at the most recent rounds of stuff rammed through in the last year.  Law enforcement couldn't answer the questions as to what was legal, representatives couldn't and agencies weren't even set up to question how to follow the new regulations. 

• Thanks 1

When we in VA went thru all the nonsense on antique plates in 2007, the Lynchburg Region (RIP...) and other Central Virginia car clubs hounded their legislator so bad that she finally told the one who had introduced and sponsored the bill that he'd better come to Lynchburg and explain what he was trying to do to the car people, because she couldn't.

She, the sponsor, a Virginia Dept of Taxation rep, and several local and State Police officers attended.

After an hour or so of doubletalk, one of the Central Virginia Mustang Club officers asked the State Police barracks commander how he intended to enforce the new law and restrictions.

The Trooper pointed to the bill's sponsor and the tax guy and said "when these guys tell me how to do it". And both of them sat there and didn't say a word.

The tax guy being there shined a light on the true impetus behind that bill. It was a revenue grab, pure and simple.

That was also the night I explained to the sponsor that I could do things the AACA people and other car groups he'd met with in Richmond couldn't do. I lived in his House District and could work to unseat him. In the 2008 election we came within 600 votes of doing that. He's been awful quiet on old car stuff since.

• Thanks 3