Is this a Stutz?

alsancle

Minerva had that double curvature in the bonnet, West, even into the early 30's. I had a Minerva that had done about 8000miles as a country town hearse, until they used the body as a mini glasshouse for pot plants; and the boys belted it round the farm shooting foxes and rabbits till it coughed a sleeve rod. I gave it to a friend. It looks like paired exhaust manifolds through the louvre gaps, with downpipes adjacent in the centre. Stuart Middlehurst had two 37.2 Hispanos (and an 8 litre which had been fitted with a Perkins diesel.) The carby and distributers were on the right hand side for convenience with the controls. You may be right that it is LHD, but my guess is that all of the driver is obscured except his arm. I have had friends with 4,6,&8cyl Delages over many years. With an ounce of luck I could have had a 1924 4 1/2 litre CO2 six, and a 1929 8 cyl. Ivan Saxton

I am looking at light and shadow too, West; but also the front edge is very clear against the background. That is where the shape of Minerva is most pronounced, and it tapers back to match the firewall. I had a firewall from one of the big 30hp Minerva sixes sitting on the chassis of the cuff-valve Peugeot (1923 6 cyl 6 litre). (But I gave it to a cheap and crooked lawyer friend for his Minerva without a firewall; and Jean-Pierre in France cent me photos and dimensions so I can fabricate a correct one. I brought home a 300 amp Miller Tig welder the other day that originally came from the government aircraft factory here where they used to make Mirage fighter aircraft; so I have the right gear to do that now.)

Can you identify what looks like a body builder's tag?

Ivan

I can't identify the tag, but maybe Al can put a loop on it. If it's a continuous-tone print, he may be able to read something. It's as big as a billboard. Some of the Fernandes et Darrin plates were quite big, but I was going to guess Labourdette on this car.

I will bow to your thoughts on it not being a Minerva. You are obviously more versed in them than I. I just noticed a few Minerva-type features, such as the heavy-looking fenders and the hood latches (the latches look identical to some I saw on Minerva photos), and that it looks very similar to a couple of convertible victorias I found on an Internet search.

I showed these photos to Steve Snyder, and he thinks Als car (photo) may have a Weymann body on it, which would explain the sculptless windows, simplicity of line, as well as the matte finish to the body, which looks like it could be doped fabric. Weymann also frequently used the windshield visor technique.

• 4 weeks later...

The car is no Minerva. The hood latches are identical to those used on 20 HP Minervas. They I have seen only have one latch. The hubs are identical to those on Minreva from 1919 - 1925. The wheels are typical 895*135 on Minerva.

• 1 year later...