A/C muffler - keep or toss?

Jim Cannon

Guys, the high pressure hot gas hose between my compressor and condenser has begun to go bad and seep freon out. So I will replace the hose.

Among those of you who have done it, have you observed any difference at all if the muffler can was left out? I'm not sure why it's there. Noise? Vibration?

Thanks for the input.

Yes, custom hose. The metal end pieces (compressor end and condenser end) will be removed from the original hose and crimped on to ends of a new rubber hose that spans completely from compressor to condenser.

As smoooth running as the GM A-6 axial compressor might be, it still puts out individual pulses of pressure into the lines. It CAN put some resonances into play, too, in some cases, whether in the lines themselves or in the condensor at certain rpm levels (as happened to me on a vehicle without a muffler, and I added one from a similar system with a muffler). I also suspect that in the cases where you see a coil of a/c hoses under the hood, to lengthen the pipe, they are there that way to kill certain resonances in the system without using a muffler per se. Adding extra length in the rubber sections of the hose could have been less expensive to do that to build a line with a muffler in it. Still, GM would not have spent the money to do those things if there was not a reasonable reason to do so in a large enough percentage of particular vehicles . . . or they could cover the cost in the basic selling price of the car if it made things a little "nicer" for the passengers in the car.

If you delete it, you can always put an inline muffler in later if you do pickup some resonances from not having a muffler in the system.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• 8 years later...
3 hours ago, RivNut said:

CARS, inc.

Well, I may stand corrected.  I just tried to open their website and "Nada, zilch." Anyone else tried to contact them lately?

They've been down for a few days with backend problems.  The name server that points inquiring minds to their site isn't responding to requests, so they're effectively hidden from the world.

You can still reach them by phone.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

On 5/18/2017 at 10:27 AM, Jim Cannon said:

Get a used one off of a parts car.

Jim, I found a used A/C muffler for sale in TN. THE SELLER SHIPPED WHAT I believe a very good used 63 Riviera A/C MUFFLER..

thank you again for the advice.

Red Riviera Bob

On 5/18/2017 at 11:37 PM, rocky5517 said:

On my second gen ( 67) my muffler was rotted at the bottom. They are hard if not impossible to find so I took it to the blacksmith. He cut off the bottom 3" and re-welded it. Have seen no problems since.

Rocky, good idea. I've seen Welders, fabricators, and blacksmiths come up with some great solutions in metal work. ( My Great Grand Father was a blacksmith who made his own horse shoe nails.). Thank. You for the tip.

Red Riviera Bob