1904 Model A running issues

Brainless

I am currently working on getting a 1904 Model A running. It starts and idles well with the timing retarded but as soon as I begin to advance the timing the engine dies. The car has a model T carb on it but everything else appears to be original. Any suggestions?

The model T carb doesn't sound like the source of your problem here. If the car starts easily and idles nice at the retarded setting (i.e. no kicking back when starting and realtively smooth idle from all 4 cylinders) and then simply dies when you advance the spark, I would suspect that the problem lies either with the timer, or a problem in the advance control linkage. Obviously I would verify the ingnition timing just to be sure, but it sounds to me like either something is happening in the timer when you attempt to advance it, or something has been done with the linkage that is advancing it too far or, more likely, actually retarding the spark evem futher (maybe a reversed throw arm). If an engine starts and idles well, and then simply dies when the ignition timing is slightly advanced, (remember that we're only talking a few degrees here), you need to follow the path of everything that is moved or affected when you move that lever. If might even be something as simple as a misplaced wire being grounded out by a piece of linkage moving against it. I'd start by checking out things along that line first, before actually tearing into the motor. Good luck. P.S. You might also want to check with Tom Rasmusson through the Franklin Club website. He is definately one of the most knowledgeable when it comes to dealing with the early Franklins. He has a great deal of experience with the cross engine cars.