1936 or 1937 Packard 12 Boattail photos

Tom Laferriere

• 1 year later...

Tom,

I ran across your thread here. I am a bit late, but you may be interested in the example photo of a 1937 Packard Twelve Boat Tail at the Tebo Garage in Colorado. I don't have much information on it. It was shown in an article about the museum. Perhaps somone in the club knows about it.

The car I am most familiar with is the one that West and Imported provided photos of. I knew that car as a boy. It's evolutionary history goes all the way back to the thirties.

Peter Tacy

post-56114-143138131216_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

A fellow by the name of Jim Malloy in Columbus, OH had one made back in the 80's. It was a 35 or 36 and very well done. The back fenders are a pair of rights and lefts matched and welded together on each side of car. When car was done it was black w/orange trim. The V-12 needed rebuilt and a cadillac was in its place. The guy he had make the car made a good two dozen boattails of various makes and age - they are out there and well done so use care in purchasing.

• 5 weeks later...
A fellow by the name of Jim Malloy in Columbus, OH had one made back in the 80's. It was a 35 or 36 and very well done. The back fenders are a pair of rights and lefts matched and welded together on each side of car. When car was done it was black w/orange trim. The V-12 needed rebuilt and a cadillac was in its place. The guy he had make the car made a good two dozen boattails of various makes and age - they are out there and well done so use care in purchasing.

Thanks for the comments Mr. Mareness. The car shown in West's photo was from New York State.

The car was owned by Richard Saunders in Rensselaer, New York. The body is from a 1929 Auburn. The Packard Twelve engine was balanced, bored and modified by Mr. Saunders. Mr. Saunders worked at several Packard dealers and knew the best parts to use in the car to make it relatively low, light, and quick. He made notes, took photos of the modifications, and kept all the registration/inspection documents.

The car was painted red from about 1952 to 1976 when he died. After that, the new owner painted it a light tan color in the 1980s. Most internet references note modifications were completed in the 1980s. The history of the car actually goes all the way back to the 1930s when the Auburn was purchased. Initial modifications on the Auburn were innocent enough, when the sidemounts were removed and Woodlights were added. The Boat Tail Packard has been featured in several magazine and newspaper articles, plus it was displayed in a museum in Europe for many years.

As a young boy, I remember it as a red blur speeding past dad's model 900 convertible. It is a time capsule to be sure.

Vintageride

Boy that takes me back. I knew Dick Saunders way back when. As I recal, about the time he died he had 3 V-12 cars, the speedster completed (and red when I knew it), another Speedster body (fiberglass as I recall) he was working on as his "new" project, and a V12 ahead of a 37 junior conv.coupe. I often wonder what happened to the cars, as I recall they were sold very quickly after he died. Any chance you know if the 37 is still around? Dick sure loved his V-12's, thats for sure...

Boy that takes me back. I knew Dick Saunders way back when. As I recal, about the time he died he had 3 V-12 cars, the speedster completed (and red when I knew it), another Speedster body (fiberglass as I recall) he was working on as his "new" project, and a V12 ahead of a 37 junior conv.coupe. I often wonder what happened to the cars, as I recall they were sold very quickly after he died. Any chance you know if the 37 is still around? Dick sure loved his V-12's, thats for sure...

Excellent. You remember too.

You may not know that he raced a Maxwell car in the 1920s while he worked at the Worcester branch of Alvin T Fuller's Packard Motor Company of Boston. You can read about it here.

http://www.charltonhistoricalsociety.org/CHSNewsletterFall2008.pdf

I talked to the guy that purchased the V-12 convertible coupe after Dick passed. It was an interesting car. Commercial chassis, 1937 junior body and a 1941 front clip. He registered that as a 1940. It really looked nice. According to the guy that bought the 1940, it went to a collection somewhere out west. I would love to hear from someone that knows where the car is now. See attached photo.

There was also a similar car based on a 1940s vintage Victoria. The victoria had a lowered ride height.

The 1936 boat tail also had twin superchargers fitted on the V-12. The superchargers were not on the car when it was auctioned in 2007. Maybe the museum in Germany removed them.

I do rember his other boat tail project car. I am not sure it was fiberglass though. It was quite rough and needed allot of work. I have no idea where that went.

Good to see someone else remembers him. Most people only know the recent history of the boat tail and nothing about the other cars. He made a list of of over 100 Packards he owned over the years.

Vintageride

post-56114-143138163308_thumb.jpg

Edited by vintageride (see edit history)

• 4 years later...

Thanks for posting these pictures of the Saunders Special. When Dick built this car, I am sure he did not expect the attention that it has received over the years. If he were alive today, I bet that he would be honored that Fran Roxas had a hand in restoring Dick's original creation. I wonder if Dick wishes that he kept this car as a v16 Marmon/Auburn creation? The Marmon does have a nice look. His Packard heritage gave him the drive/vision of a Packard Speedster to boast a v12 with twin superchargers-of course he was a unique hot rod pioneer. The current state of this 1936 Packard Speedster is a long way from Dick's vision. I think Dick and my Grandfather are up there enjoying the continued saga of the Saunders Special that was created in the 40's. Below is a link to the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club Website; there is additional information and pictures about Dick's car.

http://forums.acdclub.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6131

Edited by roadster (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

Dick Saunders 1936 Packard Twelve Boattail Speedster 904080 is going back out of the auction block-Mecum Monterey 2016.  So far it is being represented as a Dutch Darrin coachwork.  I not sure Dick was looking for the Darrin Coachwork label when he built this car?  May be he was inspired by the Alvin Mccauley's 1932 Packard Boattail Speedster.  I am sure Dick's car was much faster.  I do hope the car is represented correctly-the "Saunders Special" just as he called it.

image.jpeg

Edited by roadster (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

John Fisher, R.I.P., of Huntington, Indiana loved big Classics. He would buy a distressed parts car and turn it into a boat tail. They usually had a modern replacement drive train and the bodies were very similar.

page_01.jpgpage_02.jpg

• 4 years later...