63 Window "fuzzy" weather-strip

petelempert

I've got the door skins off my 63. I'm going to replace the window "fuzzy" weather-stripping. Any ROA recommendations on the best source? Also, there is another, short little "bumper" (about 2 inches long) inside the door designed, I assume, to prevent the window rattling side to side. Anybody know if those are reproduced? Thanks. PRL

I think I just learned a funny lesson about Rivieras. I planned to replace the inner door on my 63. Found a really nice, non-rusty, door off a 65. I spent about two weeks cleaning, painting and getting the windows to work flawlessly. Guess what? The hinges don't line up. They are different in several small, but important ways. Just about everything else is identical. I think it could probably be installed if I replaced the hinges...but what a pain. Anybody out there done it...or am I better off just getting a "correct" 63 inner door and starting over? PRL

Pete,

Even though they are referred to as 1st Generation Rivieras, there are MANY differences between the 63, 64 and 65, and some of the differences are significant enough that you can't substitute a part from one to the other. I always try to get 63 parts for my 63's; even the darn sun visors are different from 63 to 64! Inside the doors, the channel that attachs to the bottom of the door glass is different from 63 to 65 and if you put a 65 window in a 63, it won't roll down flush with the top of the door and will stick up about 1/4 inch when down all the way! Don't ask me how I found that one out! Good luck with the hinge issue!

Tim

Tim-You're right. I think I'm just going to start over with 63 parts if I can find them. If it ain't 63...it ain't for me. It's shame because I found a really good 65 parts car at CTC Salvage in Denton Texas. Do you know...from your experience if the fly window from a 65 will fit on the 63 door? For some reason all the 63's I have to choose from have bad chrome, but the 65 is perfect. I'm going back up there tomorrow to see what I can find. One way or another, I'll get the door situation handled. Thx PRL