Save my !970 Riviera from the crusher

Mike Carman

I have a 1970 Riv that's been garaged at my parents since 1992. It's all complete. 127,000 miles. Fuel pump is bad so I hot wired it to the tail lamps for power. Local mechanic tells dad it needs replaced for $500. I told dad B.S. I can replace it right through the trunk because I've had it out. I haven't been in touch obviously..... but $500!?! No body damage but it had a quickie paint job before I stored it. It's all black. Resonators are gone on the exhaust. Only rust I'm aware of are on the full fender skirts that I picked up second hand but the original half skirts were fine. I live in the |Omaha area and I need guidance fast and quick here. If money were the only issue I,d have sold it years ago. Dad says scrap metal is high and he'll scrap it for storage money ...Hah Hah. I bought the car with 20000 on it in 1974. Please steer me to someone in Omaha or this region I can visit with. Thanks much guys. Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Carman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuel pump is bad so I hot wired it to the tail lamps for power. Mike </div></div>

Huh? Maybe you left out some words or I'm totally misunderstanding. Hot wire from the tailights?

The 70 had the pump back on the engine according to my recollection. Parts listings also confirm it was a mechancial pump but I know those aren't always 100%. Maybe someone put an aftermarket electric pump on it. As far as changing any fuel pump from the trunk, that is news to me. Regardless replacing a pump outside the tank should not be close to $500. If it is in fact inside the tank, maybe $350 figuring $80/hr labor unless the car is rust free underneath then maybe a little less. If its rusty the price goes up for obvious reasons. One can run into many problems when working on a 40 year old car. Maybe you mechanic was padding it due to those issues.

The above advice is spot on. Put it on craigslist. Its free and fast. If its worth more than scrap price someone will pay it. Top scrap for cars is $12 per 100lb around the Pittsburgh area but they seem to vary wildly even locally. 1970s aren't very sought after compared to other years unless its a GS.

Good Luck