1979 buick riviera power antenna

F&E Jenkins

Need help. 79 buick riviera. Does anyone know the correct method to install a new power antenna? Spent 4 hours following the Hanes manual which said to remove the inner fender panel. This process was unsuccessful. I'm told by another car enthusiast that the right front hood hinge has to be removed. Please advise if this is the correct action.

Guest acboxer

Thing antenna may be removed after taking off the hinge but be sure to supprt the hood on the fron end and rear where the hinge is removed I used a large rag rug folded to protect the fender, hood and wiper cover. The antenna may be removed tru the hinge hole idf it retracted if its full y extended thats a more difficult situation.Be prepared for a lot of scrapes and scratches as the metal has a lot of sharp edges. This is much easier the second time don't ask me how I know this.The lower bolt on the antenna will be a test of your ability to twist and turn your arm not real easy for 60 yeasr old but old cars are a fun hobby good luck

Guest pfloro

Hello Floyd:

I am the original owner of an '84 Olds Toronado. The

body structure of your '79 Riviera is very similiar to

my Toronado. I have replaced the power antenna twice

in 24 years. The procedure follows:

0) Remove the long stainless rocker panel trim from the right side of the car.

1) Remove right front wheel.

2) Remove the bolts which hold the outer fender to the

inner fender (The bolts to the right of 12 o'clock may be left in place).

3) Using a short piece of 2x4 (~5"), pull out the bottom rear of the fender & 'block it out'.

4) Carefully remove the escutchon nut which attaches the

antenna mast to the top if the fender.

5) Disconnect the antenna power feed from inside the engine bay.

6) Reach up inside the fender & remove the one nut which holds the antenna bracket to the body.

7) The antenna should now drop down. Remove the RF connector from the mast.

The old bracket will be installed on the new antenna so note it's position.

This procedure is an expansion of what is outlined in my

factory shop manual...

Good Luck. It's not that difficult, just time consuming.

Paul

Floyd,

I replaced the power antenna on my '85 Riv the exact same way Paul Floro describes for his '84 Toronado. The body styles of the 85 Riv & '84 Toronado are very similar (if not basically the same) as your '79. I didn't have any need to remove the passenger side hood hinge..it just wasn't in the way of anything.

I replaced the antenna on my 85 Riv but I did mine a little different. I took some of the screws off that holds the fender to the wheel well and along the bottom of the front fender between the wheel well and the passenger door panel. After opening the passenger door I used some tape to make sure I didn't scratch the back of the fender or the door. Then I took the one screw out of the inside of the door jam that holds the antenna inside the fender. Then I had to take off some of the screws off that holds the back of the fender inside the door jam. I was able to gently pry out the bottom and back of the fender out from the car. Disconnect the antenna wiring & remove the escucheon. I was able to reach under the fender and drop the antenna out the bottom of the fender. I don't remember but I might of had to of jacked the car up a bit. I did use a piece of a 2x4 to keep the fender pulled out. Reverse the procedure to put it all together.

Floyd, et al.

I just picked up a right front fender/inner fender for my step-son's '84. I couldn't get it in the hatch of my jeep with the antenna extended so I needed to either get it down or remove it. The motor is apparently stuck because we couldn't hot wire it to get it to retract.

Anyway here's getting to the point. With the fender removed from the car but with the inner fender still attached, I couldn't get the antenna out from between the two fenders even as accessible as it was. I even cut the old antenna off right above the escutcheon and it still wouldn't come out the hole made accessible when there's no hood hinge in the way. To get it out, I'm still going to have to separate the inner fender from the outer fender.

I'd suggest that you start with the method that was described for removing the inner fender from the outer fender, separating them and holding them apart with a 2x4 and taking out the bottom. I think that's where you'll wind up anyway. Then you won't have to worry about aligning the hood hinge again. To put it simply, the antenna motor is larger than the hole.

Ed