64 Riv Seat Cover Replacement - Help needed!

DirtyDan

I am in the process of restoring a 64 Riviera. It is time now to do the seat covers. I am trying to recover these on my own shocked.gif I purchased the complete front and rear kit from Clarks. I also purchased the foam seat buns for both front seats. I have an AZ car and the foam was really dried up and is turning to powder in a bunch of spots. The seat covers look really well made, but the foam isn't even close. Has anyone else here used the seat buns that Clark's sells and if so were they are way off as mine are? The top buns on the orig seat have a grove all they way around the perimeter for you to hog ring the the cover to the listings, and create the bolstered insert. The replacements only have 2 side grooves, and they don't hardly line up to the listing wire inside the cover or the frame.

I'm tempted to cut a groove in the top, but these suckers were over $200 for the pair, so I hate to start slicing on them!

I really wanted to try and do these myself, but it looks like I may be taking them to the interior shop!

Guest musclecarfan65

i also propose clark's corvair parts as bill recommends. i received my complete 65 custom interior seat cover set after approx. 1 1/2 week ,,, delivery to germany! excellent shipping speed and perfect product quality. i am 100% statisfied with clark's.

one question: why are they named "suckers" by you, "dirtydan"? any issue you have with them we have missed here?

I used Clarks seat buns and upholstery on my 63. The buns are not an exact replacement, I think they are really for a chevy seat, but I did not have a big problem with them. Had to trim the front corners a little which they state in their catalog, plus had to piece in some foam at the back lower corners. Mine lined up OK with listing wires and look fine after completion. If they are way off call Clarks, they will stand behind their stuff. You do have to use the cotton padding over the buns like original, I bought extra from them and used plenty. I bought all the tools and planned to do the whole job myself but only completed the driver's seat. Those hog ring pliers did a great job of activating the arthritis in my old hands! I wound up having the rest done by a local trim shop. I think the seat I did looks better than theirs, but I'm prejudiced...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nimrod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i also propose clark's corvair parts as bill recommends. i received my complete 65 custom interior seat cover set after approx. 1 1/2 week ,,, delivery to germany! excellent shipping speed and perfect product quality. i am 100% statisfied with clark's.

one question: why are they named "suckers" by you, "dirtydan"? any issue you have with them we have missed here?</div></div>

I am not calling Clarks "Suckers" I am using slang just saying that the seat covers were expensive and I hate to cut them up.

I will give Clarks a call and see what they advise.

I spoke to Clarks this past week. I have a tear in the original seat (1965 RIV) and am thinking of replacing. I had some questions (I have not ordered yet - but soon will) they got one of their stitchers on the phone for me - I was impressed.

I have a question for the ROA - what is a reasonable price to pay to have a trim shop install two front bucket covers from Clarks?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

The seats are nearly finished. I called Clarks w/ my problems and they got it straightened out. The seat buns are actually for a Corvair and they need a little tweaking to fit the 64 seats just right. They turned out pretty good for doing it myself. All the upholstery shops around here wanted around $500 to do them.