Anybody reproduce the aluminum dash overlay trim for a '63?

jimtash

I have the dash parts from a '63 Rivi A/C donor car and some of the trim surrounding the glove box door lock is damaged. Is there a company that reproduces the trim?

If not, can the dash parts from a non-A/C car be modified to fit the vent balls?

The thing is Ed, the parts in my car are in immaculate shape. They look brand new and I was hoping to sell them to cover the cost of the A/C conversion. I really don't want to mess those pieces up.

It's just the passenger side panel that needs attention as the drivers side is in good shape. It just needs to be painted to match the rest of the interior.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Riviator

Hi Jim-

I gave up looking for replacement aluminum long ago. I found someone advertised in a magazine claiming they could refinish the trim. Big mistake. After I carefully removed the parts without bending, I sent them off. Six weeks and $400 later I got them back. They looked terrible. Luckily, they had a satisfaction guarantee and I used it. I was able to buff off what they did and found a used glove box door in OK shape to get it put back together. So I'm pretty much where I started. I mentioned this to Regional coordinator at the ROA meet last year, and he said he might be able to help me out on this one. But, I haven't followed up.

My impression is that you're in to a real original look. If you weren't, Formica makes a ribbed aluminum laminate that looks sort of like the original. I haven't done it because it runs somewhere around $300-400 for a 48x96 sheet. And Formica can be a pain to work with. Then there's the authenticity issue. Look at formica.com, and I think it's style 4749.

When I installed my A/C, I cut in to the dash and installed the factory vents I got at Wheatbelt. No problem, but be aware, there is very little wiggle room around the vent housings.