1965 Riv Xenon headlights

Guest Mohogs

Guest Bronie

Hey Guys,

Was wondering if anybody knows where to get a set of headlights for my 65 riv. I just called CARS and they said they don't carry the Xenon lamps anymore but do carry the original style lamps.

Any suggestions?

John

1965 Buick Riviera Custom

R.O.A. 11352

Guest Bronie

How much did you pay for your set Jim?

Just Curious becuase I live in Toronto and prices are much steeper up here. Sometimes I just come to the US and but a bunch of parts I need all in one run.

John

R.O.A 11352

Guest Gee_Rydes

With some exceptions, the sealed beam headlamps for most semi-modern cars are either for:

4 round lamps

4 square lamps

2 square lamps

2 round lamps

The 5000,5001 and direct replacements for the older 4000 series.

My point is that there are direct replacements for these 4 styles as well and they have an H4 bulb and housing rather than being a sealed beam. If that is what you are looking for, you can find them all day long on ebay for about $15 for a pair. These are not the brand name versions, and Hella makes a better unit which is priced more. You can install different bulbs to suit your tastes, but if you get above the 55 watt range you may have circuit overheating problems. You can buy bulbs as strong as 110W I believe.

I have used this option on 2 of my 65's, my 67 Camaro, and many other cars.

The signature look of this style of light is that the face is much flatter than the typical sealed beams.

Hope this helps

Guest Bronie

Are you guys talking about replacing just the bulb or the entire headight unit itself, because that was what I was going to do. I looked last year and found that Hella makes a good product but they only sell headlights that need to be replaced once the bulb goes. They don't make a unit that a burned out bulb can be replaced on.

So my question is did you guys replace the bulbs alone or the entire light itself?

John

R.O.A. 11352

Guest Gee_Rydes

John,

I'm not sure I completely understand what you said, but I'll try and clarify what I was speaking of.

Hella makes a replacement unit that is comprised of a housing and a replaceable bulb. You remove your sealed beam and replace with their complete unit. If the bulb burns, you can buy just the bulb in the future and install in the Hella housing. You can buy various bulbs with different output wattages.

The Halogen unit Jim was speaking of is a sealed beam just like OEM and is replaced as an entire assembly.

I replaced the sealed beam with Hella's complete unit.

There are also HID replacements (I think) out there that are much pricier deals and is a bit more complicated.

Guest Bronie

That's what I was asking. Thanks for the clarification. ow much did your entire setup cost from Hella?

John.

R.O.A. 11352

Guest musclecarfan65

in europe it is totally different. in case you want to use real HID it's mandatory to have an automatic level adjustment otherwise your car is not road legal anymore. so called "HID" bulbs are illegal unless they have an E-approved marking somewhere. i modified my new 65 riviera w a clear lens set from hella which fits also the VW golf1 (rabbit in US) and put legal Osram xtreme intensitiy H4 bulbs into them. set of 4 complete reflectors did cost 90euros ... and it is 100% road legal on european roads.

They don't worry about little details like that in America, Dirk. They are happy to allow other drivers to BLIND you with their very bright lights aimed up in your EYES! I have this problem with other drivers often here.

Guest Gee_Rydes

John,

This is the kit I was referring to. I remember paying about $30 per lamp. Replacement bulbs alone are much cheaper but the initla cost includes the one-time housing expense.

I have also tried the cheaper Chinese made and they were only about $15 per pair. They were just OK.

This is not where I bought the Hellas from but it is the same kit for your reference. Hella sealed beam replacement kit

These are not HID lights.

Guest Bronie

Thanks for the Link. I checked it out, seems pricey though. 55.00 plus 9.00 for shipping each.

Not sure if I wanna spend that much money on lights, money is tied up with other more important things at the moment.

Cars had an amazing deal, 100.00 for 4 lamps, highs and lows Xenon. But they don't carry them anymore.

John.

R.O.A. 11352