Rear main rope seal on a 67 430

Les67riv

I have been told it is possible to change this seal without droping the transmission. Egge makes a new type of rope seal for this application. Has anyone done this, and does it take a special tool as well? Any instructions/thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Les Lee

ROA # 6726

Guest Buick Bonery

I've heard that you can do it by lifting the engine up and forward, dropping the oil pan and lowering the main bearings just enough to give you room to wrap the rope around.

I do not know if Egge makes a special seal or not. They don't list it on their website. You should try calling them. Maybe they have a seal along with a system with instructions to install it. Its worth a try.

I attempted a rear main with engine in car (without dropping the crank shaft) many many years ago without success. If there is a trick to doing it, I sure couldn't figure it out. I didn't even make it to installing the new seal because I couldn't even get the old one out. If its the original you can bet it is in there tight. Theres nothing to grab on to. What you can grab the seal just pulls apart.

If you drop the crank a bit it could be done but that gets a little more involved. The crank can be dropped slightly with engine in car but god that would be an ugly job.

Hypothetically even if it is possible, by the time you go through all the trouble of raising the engine high enough for the pan to clear the oil sump tube, dropping the oil pan and trying to fish a rope seal through a hole that is smaller than the seal itself, you will be far ahead to just pull the engine, pull the crank and do it right with a quality rubber seal that is designed to seal up to the rubber gasket on the oil pan at the rear corners.

Over the years I have heard this process of replacing the rear main can be done with engine in the car however I never talked to anyone who ACTUALLY did it. I think its one of those old wives tales. smirk.gif

Comparing what you have to disconnect to raise the engine high enough to pull the oil pan vs pulling the engine, trust me you are better off pulling it. These engines come out fast and easy. Of course that could lead to a ballooning project replacing other gaskets as well such as the timing cover. If the timing chain and gears have never been replaced you can do those too. There is always more risk of getting a gasket misaligned or dirt on the sealing surface when trying to do something like this with the engine in.

Yes, the rope seal can be done in the car. It is a very tricky job that needs lots of patience and experience. I have done many way back in the day when it common to do them.

BUT. I would pull the engine and install a modern rope seal in it. I've done these and they don't leak or real minor weepage if installed correctly.

• 2 months later...
Guest NorwegianRivRoy

Hi!

I did manage to change seals on a 322 nailhead (Buick Century 1955) But, it's a H of a job.. Next time, if ever, I will pull out the entire engine.. Even with a lot of options like AC and PS it's easier, and probably takes less time...

Good Luck!

Roy

1964 Riviera

1958 Special

1958 Super