63 Rochester 4BBL heat transfer shield and fiber gasket

petelempert

I'm switching from a Carter to a Rochester 4BBL on my 63. I'm looking for the fiber gasket and stainless heat transfer shield that go between the intake and the carb. Anybody got a source? Allstate Carb in Islip NY only has them for the Carter. A thread back in November recommended Carmen Faso, but haven't heard yet if he's got them. Anybody with a source would be helpful. Anybody? Thx PRL

Guest Gee_Rydes

Looks like I am going to learn something on this one. I always assumed the secondaries on the Q-Jet were too big for the Carter manifold and that a 1966 manifold was required.

I guess I should've remembered what happens when you assume...

Guest rlbleeker

This is the earlier style Rochester (4GC?), the secondaries are the same or close to the same size as the primaries. I personally don't like them as well as the Carter and was thinking about switching my '63 the other way.

From what I can tell. They will swap (Rochester for Carter) and the secondaries on the Rochester are identical in size. That said...I haven't hooked anything up yet. I started on this odyssey after I figured out the Carter on my 63 was actually for a 65 and none of the stator/dashpot gear would hook up. My experience with the Carter on the car has been...mixed...so I decided to try the Rochester. If it doesn't work, I'll either have a nice, rebuilt Rochester for sale or I'll be searching for another intake. If this was simple, I don't know what I

do. PRL

I think you'll find that the base of the Rochester 4GC(an OEM carb for '63) is iron, not aluminum like the AFB, and therefore the stainless heat tranfer shield is not necessary for this application. The heat shield is to prevent exhaust gasses from corroding the aluminum. The Rochester Q-jet, which will not bolt to a stock 63 manifold, has an aluminum base and does require the heat transfer shield.

If your AFB is rebuildable and has the correct #3578S, and it's for sale, I'd be interested in it.

Ed

PS - I switched from the 4GC to an AFB many years ago. I found the AFB to give better perforance and MPG, the AFB is easier to rebuid and tune, and there are no gaskets below the float level on the AFB so there are no leaks.

I'm much happier.

Pete-

You would be much better off and happier with an original '63 AFB on your Riv. They are not that hard to find. When you find one, get it rebuilt and setup properly and you will love it. I can help you with the rebuild, if you want; Houston is not that far from Dallas.

Hmmm-Sounds like I might end up starting my own carb resale company soon with all my failed attempts to get my car set up right. Let me see if I understand:

The Rochester 4BBL (not a Quadrajet... has no numbers on it but has "4 Jet" and "Rochester" on the stampings) should fit the 63 standard intake...right? It came off a running 63 Buick (about all I know). It doesn't need the stainless gasket, but still requires a fiber gasket with the semi-circle heat transfer die cut. All preferences about the Carter versus Rochester aside...it should work...right? PRL

Rignt,

I drove my '63 for a number of years with the 4GC. The car had just over 100,000 on it when I got it in 1982. It now has around 195,000 on it. I probably put the last 50,000 on it with the AFB.

Get a kit, follow the directions, and enjoy your ride.

I've contacted the guys at The Carburetor Shop a few times for parts and answers. Great people. Here's the link that shows the 4GC for 1963 and the kit part numbers. They show two different 4GC numbers for 1963, each requires a different kit. ???

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Kbuick2.htm

IDing a 4G Series (4G, 4GC) – (1952 – 1967) (4 barrel): number is stamped on a triangular metal tag under one of the top screws - yours was probably not reinstalled after a rebuild.

FYI - 4G - manual choke, 4GC - automatic choke on side of carb

Ed