1938 Dodge and Discussion Group

cpwalter

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back my rebuilt engine to add to my rebuilt overdrive and a new set of running boards. Can't wait to get them all installed on the car. I just hope I can put it all back together after so much time since I took the front end off the car. I did take pictures and bagged all the parts so I have my fingers crossed. George Asche out of Venus PA rebuilt the engine and overdrive and Hundley Acuff did the running boards. Both did excellent jobs. Has anyone purchased a new wiring harness for a coupe and have any recommendations?

Question and opinions on older engine crank and piston journals hardness,

I have had this happen twice on 35 and 36 dodge engine , the number 6 piston journal will egg shape and loose oil pressure. Then engine develops a knock. After tear down ,both times number 6 journal egg shape and worn, other crank and piston journals are OK.

I had a old dodge engine mechanic tell me to get a 38 crank or older, due to the fact the journals are shot peen.

I have since then put a 1940 Plymouth engine after rebuild , it is working fine!! Many miles on it and still great oil pressure ,no knocking.

Jesse

Edited by 30dodge35
Spelling (see edit history)

How many of us are lucky enough to have found this part either on their car when they bought it or found it afterward to add to their car?  The glove box door is unique to accommodate the clock.  They did not just cut out a hole in the door and stick a clock in it. Pretty nice accessory to have in your car.

post-80205-0-83184600-1431998710_thumb.j

post-80205-0-16122600-1431998725_thumb.j

One more accessory that is nice to have, is the radio.  Pictures of the correct radio head face plate with knobs that sits in the dash above the ash tray, the correct speaker that hangs on the firewall, and the radio head showing the back of the speaker. You could have an antenna that ran along the bottom of the running board or on the cowl in front of the driver door.

post-80205-0-10413900-1431999572_thumb.j

post-80205-0-87468000-1431999607_thumb.j

post-80205-0-79621600-1431999623_thumb.j

Edited by cpwalter (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Found on the internet from a Dodge restorer.

That emblem on the right is either a 37 Dodge car or Dodge truck but not a 38 car, the head light come off of the radiator shell. The other is a replacement emblem not original.

The parts book shows different part numbers for the emblems for 1937 and 1938. They are identical except for the USA on the 1938 emblem.  A 38 with a non USA emblem has a replacement from 1937 on it. The emblem was another way to distinguish the difference between the two years. Too many original domestic 38 cars have the emblem with USA on it for it to be export only. It very well could have been on exported 38 vehicles as well to distinguish them from 37 cars.

• 4 months later...

The parts book shows different part numbers for the emblems for 1937 and 1938. They are identical except for the USA on the 1938 emblem.  A 38 with a non USA emblem has a replacement from 1937 on it. The emblem was another way to distinguish the difference between the two years. Too many original domestic 38 cars have the emblem with USA on it for it to be export only. It very well could have been on exported 38 vehicles as well to distinguish them from 37 cars.

The 38 Dodge front emblem is thicker at the top  than the 37 emblem

• 4 months later...

Has anyone seen or have a copy of the 1938 Dodge Brochure, Switch Parade (I think).  It is 21 pages long in color and is oversized. Shows pictures of the car's, features, and benefits of the 1938 Model lineup. Don't know what the cover looks like it was missing.

• 1 year later...
Guest bmeder7

I have several extra parts for 38 dodge coupe some motor and tran need the stainless trim both sides frim doors to taillights thx brian.m982@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

looking for paper patterns  that i can use for making running boards  makes it easey to post in paper so i can lay out and makein panel steel  or measurments if some one has made them or waiting to fit to there car...Regards John

Guest bmeder7
On 4/3/2015 at 3:39 AM, panelbeater1234 said:

hi to all the 1937 and 1938 dodge owners .if I can be of help just send me a email and I will try and help .Since I finished I have done 1000 klm and no prob I found about 45 mph was a steady speed to drive at .look forward to hearing from you all .Regards John

Guest bmeder7
Just now, bmeder7 said:

I am looking for stainless trim on the 1/4 s both sides for 38 dodge coupe thx brian

• 3 years later...

Thanks for that cpwalter.

I have just purchased an absolute barn find 38 dodge sedan in Australia. The running boards are looking less than pristine and would be great to have some new tread. 

I have no idea how long the old gal hadn't been started for since being put up in the mezzanine of the barn, but with a little lube and some fuel it fired and ran with out any drama. 

• 2 months later...

I'm having an issue with interior window crank winders and door handles. Unsure if the Australian 38 dodge sedan came out with different handles or it has been modified at a later stage of the cars life.

As you can see in the pictures attached the handles have a splined fitment, with a press pin for removal. This is the same for the door handles and window cranks.

Does anyone know where I can source some new handles that are the same as these?

thank you

20210216_170322.jpg

20210216_165932.jpg

20210216_165833.jpg

• 6 months later...

By now you have probably solved your problem but that does not look like a 38 window crank. The hardware has female connections to the mechanism not male. That must be a modification and from what I have seen in the US it must be a foreign system.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/18/2021 at 5:40 AM, cpwalter said:

By now you have probably solved your problem but that does not look like a 38 window crank. The hardware has female connections to the mechanism not male. That must be a modification and from what I have seen in the US it must be a foreign system.

Seems the Australian version of the winder and door assembly was made from some form of alloy. the female splined section has expanded/corroded with in the steel main body making it a real mess to free up and I'm trying to source a full set of replacements.

If you know of anyone?

Also in need of a replacement draglink and pitman arms.... these seem to rare as hens teeth currently.

cheers