FS 1968 Door Pull Escutcheons NOS

Guest BJM

I have four of the metal door pull covers NOS with Riviera "R" in the middle of them FS. Absolutely stunning perfect with some of the black in the R rubbed off on 1 or 2.

I have no idea on price, can't remember what I paid for them but I remember my 68 was missing them so that I why I bought them.

I always thought the "R" door pull escutcheons were '69 - the rear door pull escutcheon was a plain surface, and the front one had the "R" logo ?

In '68 the escutcheons had a scroll type design on both the front and rear door pull strap covers, and there was a large silver "R" logo fastened to the interior door panel.

While they will fit a '68, I believe they would only be period correct on a '69 door pull.

I paid $35 for a good set of used "R" types on evilBay, about 2 years ago,

but never installed them on my '68.

Thanks Randy.

I will try to include a photo later, but these sure have the Riviera "R" in them, so these are for 1969 Rivieras only.

Guest Riviera66

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 68RIVGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always thought the "R" door pull escutcheons were '69 - the rear door pull escutcheon was a plain surface, and the front one had the "R" logo ?

In '68 the escutcheons had a scroll type design on both the front and rear door pull strap covers, and there was a large silver "R" logo fastened to the interior door panel.

</div></div>

Randy:

Things are never as simple as they should be, when dealing with Rivieras. Actually, there are 3 correct answers to this one.

From my research / documentation of Rivieras I can confirm that there are in fact 3 different factory installed door panels for 1968 Deluxe Rivieras. (There is another style for standard interior...to my knowledge there's only one of these, but I've only seen a handful of standards).

For the Deluxes, the year started out with a relatively 'plain' handle. No strap at all. It's just a little color keyed plastic handle that looks like the cheap one used on '67 Standard Interior Rivieras and on Electras. This lasted until about Dec 1967 (still trying to pin down date ...I document interior type as I see the cars). Then a strap was placed on the door panel. These had the 'scroll' type covers you describe on the escutcheons. This lasted from around start of 1968 through around early April. Then, for the remainder of production, the '69' style was used... the front escutcheon on each side had the "R" emblem while the rear was plain. I know this last change was made somewhere between vin 28500 and 36400.

So, watch on eBay... you'll see all 3 styles pop up and they're all correct... well, only one is correct for a given time of the model year, but all 3 were used during the model year.

Darwin Falk

1966-70 ROA Technical Advisor

I know the three different types are listed in the '68 parts book, and I've seen the early 'elbreakable' plastic door pulls on the deluxe interiors, and the type 3 scroll type escutcheons, but sofar, I've never seen any of the type 3 "R" covers

in any of the '68s I've viewed.

Guess you never stop learning about these cars -'thanks' for the clarification Darwin !

Sorry Bryan - looks like late'68 or '69 is correct !

Here are the covers. There are 4 different numbers on each one. I didn't think there was enough room on them for four different serial/part numbers.

8714794R

7765822 --> 7765823 --> 7765824 --> 7765825

post-43249-143137974497_thumb.jpg

Guest dcdpgh

Hey Darwin,

I have the simple hard handle pulls in my Strato Bench interior '68. What info do you need to coorelate this to a production time to add to your database? I'm offering this info as it stands to reason that you will never get an oppurtunity to see my car in person, seeing as how you are in Cali. and I'm in PA.

Guest Riviera66

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dcdpgh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Darwin,

I have the simple hard handle pulls in my Strato Bench interior '68. What info do you need to coorelate this to a production time to add to your database? I'm offering this info as it stands to reason that you will never get an oppurtunity to see my car in person, seeing as how you are in Cali. and I'm in PA. </div></div>

Ya never know Dan...

But meanwhile... please send me your VIN# and the info that's on the Fisher Body Plate underhood... email to riviera66@aol.com if you would.

I've been documenting 66-67 Rivieras and Toronados like this for nearly 15 years; in recent years I expanded the Riviera documentation to cover '65 to '73... it grew out of the articles I was writing for the Riview... my curiousity on oddball options and production differences got the best of me and the only way to go further is to collect information from the surviving cars.

Darwin Falk

1966-70 ROA Tech Advisor

Guest dcdpgh

OK Darwin,

VIN and Body Plate info has been sent to your private email address.

I really enjoyed reading the "Options Not Included" series in the Riview. I've learned so much from the ROA in the short time I've been a member, it's the least I can do to try to give something back (as minimal as it is).