silly question, where to jack up a 64 Rivi

Guest lvrpool32

Guest lvrpool32

I have to work on the exhaust on my 64, where do you guys jack your 63 - 65 Rivi's from with a trolley/service jack and place your axle stands?? The chassis goes to a "x" in the middle which is tough to get at with the jack....just would be interested in feedback.

Nick

Nick-

If I understand your question right: Start in the front. Place jack in center under frame (not on oil pan -- be careful) and lift car. Put jack stands under frame on the sides of the car, up forward, just back from where the frame starts to rise to go to the front wheels.

Then put jack under rear axle in center and lift. At this point you can put jack stands under the axle out by the wheels or under the frame and let the rear axle drop when you lower jack.

If the front did not get up high enough for you to work under the car the first time, go back up there and lift it some more, then raise the jack stands some more.

Hope this helps.

Word of warning -- I went to a muffler shop once and they were planning to lift the car to work on it by lifting under the body, from the sides, not under the frame. I stopped them. I'm sure they would have seriously messed up the body. Their lift could not reach under to the frame to lift the car so I took it another muffler shop (where the car wheels stay on ramps, which they use to lift the car for work).

Guest lvrpool32

Jim,

thanks for the response. I think I am going to take it to a muffler shop, going to see if they can make some type of "over the axle exhaust" with two 3" tips coming out under the rear bumper and I confirmed they have the drive on style lifts.

Nick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lvrpool32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to work on the exhaust on my 64, where do you guys jack your 63 - 65 Rivi's from with a trolley/service jack and place your axle stands?? The chassis goes to a "x" in the middle which is tough to get at with the jack....just would be interested in feedback.

Nick </div></div>

I couldn't help but notice that one of your cars is a 1969 Corvette. You indicate a '396 small block' can I assume you mean 350 small block? I don't believe the 396 was available in 1969 in Corvettes.

Back on topic, I jack my '63 from the rear frame rails and the front frame rails, just past the bumper attachment point.

Guest Gee_Rydes

Muffler/Exhaust shops had better have the drive up style lifts or they will run into problems making alterations with an extended suspension compared to a resting suspension.

It is the mechanical shops that don't use them much except for their alignment rack

Guest rlbleeker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Go Poly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I couldn't help but notice that one of your cars is a 1969 Corvette. You indicate a '396 small block' can I assume you mean 350 small block? I don't believe the 396 was available in 1969 in Corvettes.</div></div>

Probably a bored and stroked 350. I had a 406 small block in my '68 Camaro.

Guest lvrpool32

nope, its a small block, longer stroke, 6" rods and lots of block clearencing. AFR heads, solid roller cam, quad dellortoss and a G Force road race 5 speed make for a fun ride.

Nick