High Cost of Ownership

Phil_Coker

Recently I noticed a slight oil stain on the garage floor under my 1999 Silver Arrow. A local Buick dealer said that the car has leaks from the oil pan gasket and both head gaskets, one of which is also leaking coolant. Said that replacement of the gaskets would run about $4,000.00. What? Is this a reasonable quote? It seems pretty steep to me. Have not had to add oil or coolant between oil changes.

Phil_Coker

Guest Gee_Rydes

Phil,

I would definitely get some second opinions. Could be a freeze plug weeping coolant, heater hose, etc. Oil can come from a number of places too. I would be very hesitant to jump into a head gasket repair without some double checking.

Especially if there are no other signs in the way it runs.

Just my 2 cents

I would suspect the valve covers fro the oil leak first, and the intake manifold gasket for the coolant second. Especially if there is no oil in the radiator. As for cost however, let me warn you that there is a lot of time involved in making these repairs. I would definitley bring it to a mechanic you trust, and still check with your local Buick Dealer.

Good luck

Phil, my 1997 supercharged Riviera had similar oil and coolant leaks as yours....but with only minor evidence of the leaking (I tend to catch things early, since I change my own oil on a lift.) The coolant was leaking from the water pump shaft seal, and just needed a new water pump to fix that problem. My oil leak was from one of the valve cover gaskets. Although I did the work myself, I was good to go with just under $100 in parts.

You could also have oil leaking from your supercharger. Less likey than the valve covers, but just a thought. By the way, have you been changing the oil in your supercharger every 30,000 miles or so (very cheap insurance)?

Not to quarrel with JohnD1956's posting above, but the supercharged 3800 intake manifolds did not tend to leak coolant. This leakage problem was usually found with the non-supercharged 3800 engine intakes.

None of this information is meant to cast a bad light on your Buick dealer. I believe all of us are saying, "get a second or third opinion from other shops". Personally, the leaking head gasket diagnosis seems pretty extreme for a supercharged 3800 engine. I don't believe guys have been mentioning that as a problem seen with that engine. Good luck, and keep shopping mechanics on this one. Hey, also let us know what the problem(s) were, once you get your car repaired. That helps everyone here. John in Wisconsin

Guest Ranger

Phil,

I don't know if this will equate to a Riv 3800 or not. I bought a '90 Reatta with the 3800, 75,000 miles and I had a coolant leak, it was from the frost plugs (one on the left bank one on the right-front/rear). Time to R & I the engine was 10.0 hours, it shouldn't be much more if your engine has to be pulled, I just don't understand the high cost to repair an oil and coolant leak, I think the worst case senario on the coolant leak, since you know it's not a cracked block would be the freeze plugs. P.S. if it's the plugs, make sure to get brass plugs put in.

Good Luck,

Jim

Thanks for the replies. I will certainly seek a second opinion. Many years ago I would have just jumped into this myself like I used to do with my '56 Chevy and '66 T-Bird (when they were fairly new :-)) but I don't even have the tools any more.

The car has about 135,000 miles on it (it's my wife's daily driver) and runs as smooth as silk. The supercharger still has the right sruff. I can't see any coolant leak anywhere and there is no sign of oil or other contaminants in the coolant. My guess is the valve covers.

Thanks again & will let you know.

Phil