Help: Timing marks on 733

34PackardRoadsta

Guest imported_Speedster

So, now that we've determined that the '30 used a slip-balancer, I'm eager to find out if the '31 used the same type. Probably not, if Tom's (packin31) '31 has bolts at the outer edge of the balancer.

Packard was probably experimenting with many different designs during those years.

Guest 39Super8

Hi Tom,

Glad you posted the distributor, and separate drive shaft pictures. I was beginning to think I had the only distributor with an offset drive slot. The distributor obviously cannot be lifted and rotated. What I did not realize is that the whole distributor assembly including 3 bolt pedestal could be removed allowing the separate drive shaft to be removed, rotated 180 degrees and dropped back into the engine. When I sent my distributor out the be re-bushed and curved, the fellow put the drive back on backwards. I new this, because I never disturbed the crankshaft position. I guess the earlier cars do have an offset distributor drive.

Guest imported_Speedster

Thanks for the pics Tom (packin31)

Yes, that one is different Also.

So, there's only 2 bolts attaching the pulley onto the balancer and the pulley is keyed to the crankshaft and the large center bolt holds the complete assembly on crankshaft, is that correct?

It appears to be much larger diameter than earlier balancers, also.

Yes, those large countersunk bolts look rather Imposing, I don't think I would have tried to take that one apart either. grin.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 34PackardRoadsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Oh, wait, I didn't read the whole answer. Got it smile.gif . </div></div>

Yes, Don't Forget the 'Magic'. laugh.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

That shows that the same dampener assembly (same part number) was used in '30, '31, and '32, but we have already determined that the ones used in '30 and '31 are Different.

That may mean that they were all the same basic design with some changes or they could have changed designs in mid year, of '30, and Tom's '30 (733) has the older design?

Even tho the dampener Assemblies had the same part number, the designs definitely Changed, because the internal parts changed numbers thru those years (with at least 2 changes).

Man, this is Gettin' too complicated for me. cry.gif

Speedster,

When I look at the parts list, it seems to me that the design changed between each series. All have the 'vibration damper assembly' but I think that is a dummy code for the entire thing assembled. The components that went into each assembly clearly changed, with the most apparently dramatic change occurring from the 7th to 8th series; the 7th series columns contain the greatest number of unique parts among all three.

But, this brings back the problem of the timing mark I put on my dampener. I have now run the engine for several hours, and my timing mark is still perfect (I haven't futzed with the timing, and it still rides below my little 'pointer'). So, does that mean my dampener needs disassembly and repair?

Cheers,

Tom

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 34PackardRoadsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have now run the engine for several hours, and my timing mark is still perfect (I haven't futzed with the timing, and it still rides below my little 'pointer'). So, does that mean my dampener needs disassembly and repair?</div></div>

If it's running Good, I wouldn't Worry about it, and be Happy you have a working timing Mark. Now if you were going to make some Cross-country Trips in it, you should probably check into it more, because I've heard that if the balancer is not working properly, it can shorten the life of the main-bearings, etc. High RPMs is when it's really needed.

I ran one of my '29 engines Without a balancer on it, for a little while and never got it over 2000.rpm, (to test the engine before I put it in the car and the balancer was hiting my test stand), and I could Not really tell any difference after I got it in the car with the balancer on it.

You find out how Long those engines Really are, when trying to fit one on a test-stand made for V8 engines. grin.gif

I'm looking at the dampener and belt pully assembly. From the drawings supplied, it looks like the screw that holds the pulley on is simple unscrewed to start the disassembly process. However this screw appears to be a rod with a pin thru the end to mate with a hand crank rod. Is there a special or homemade tool that you have used to unscrew this screw?

Guest imported_Speedster

Yes, I cut slots in a wrench-Socket. I found a long 1/2"drive socket (from an air-wrench set) that fit over the large bolt, then drilled a hole thru both sides of it, about 1/2" from outer edge of socket. The drill bit needs to be a little larger than the pin in bolt. Then used a hacksaw to cut down to the holes, forming the needed slots. The width of the slots should be a little less than the diameter of the drilled holes, so the socket will slightly lock around the pin, to keep it from sliping out easy.

Also need a long brakeover-bar for the socket and a piece of hard wood or something similar to lock into teeth of flywheel (thru the starter mounting hole, if the engine pan is still on) to keep the crankshaft from turning, when loosening the bolt. The bolt has normal threads (left to loosen).

Rick, Ken

I just took a deep 7/8" (1/2 drive) socket and used my angle grinder to cut .25" slots in the socket. I made the slots a little over 3/4 of an inch deep. I started with the hacksaw thing and lost patience! Took about 2 minutes, but man you generate a lot of sparks!

I can get a shot of my tool if you need it.

Ah, geez, I mean a shot of my socket. Or, well, you get the idea.

Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 34PackardRoadsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rick, Ken

I can get a shot of my tool if you need it.

Ah, geez, I mean a shot of my socket. Or, well, you get the idea.

Tom </div></div>

Tom...it's scary that you have the same warped sense of humor that I have. crazy.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...though I am giving it new life as a different tool. smile.gif </div></div>

Exactly... Making something Special, from something ordinary.

That's why I used one from an Inexpensive set, and it can still be used as an ordinary socket, just won't be quite as strong.

I checked and it is the 7/8" size I used also.

OK, I made the "tool" using a die grinder, blocked the fly wheel with a piece of wood and the screw came out fairly easy. Victory on the first try. I like how these "easy" ones. Though now I need to pick up a replacement socket at the April Portland swap meet.Now for the next step.

What kind of puller would you use to remove the pulley and the dampener? Steering wheel puller?

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of puller would you use to remove the pulley and the dampener?</div></div>

You want to pull on the inner part of balancer and pulley, not the outer.

If your's is the design I think it is, you can use this type puller (which is also used for steering-wheels):

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37824

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't remember for the life of me how I pulled mine off. </div></div>

I had to drive wooden wedges behind the pulley (which is on the back side), of the '29 Standard-8, since there's no puller attachment bolt holes in that balancer. Luckily it came off fairly easy, before bending anything.

I've seen a larger version of the one I linked to above, that would be great for the '29 balancer, but I didn't have one.

Ok it has come back to me. I have a puller like Ken posted a link to. I left the pulley on and that is where I hooked the jaws onto of the puller. I used a deep well socket that fit inside the center hole of the pulley and like you Rick luckily nothing bent for me too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the bolts must be on the side you can't see. </div></div>Not on mine they are on the front side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will post pictures. ETA of success is 4 hours from now smile.gif </div></div>

Well beat the ETA by 2 hours! That included getting some fine thread bolts for the steering wheel puller which the one I bought had none. I bought the whole puller as I didn't know what other surprise I would find and I didn't want to make another trip.

It was a 2 pull operation. First the pulley and then the dampener. No bolts were holding the pully to the dampener.

DSC_0359.jpg

Hope you take out those 6 filister head screws and educate yourself about the inner workings before you ship it off for rebuilding. It's interesting and nothing you can mess up. Maybe post a pic of the "guts"? Maybe it was revulcanized in the past and you can save a few bucks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hope you take out those 6 filister head screws and educate yourself about the inner workings </div></div>

Yes, I'd be interested in seeing that myself!

Wayne