79 -85 Digital Dash swap outs

sosuzguy

Jayson,

This could be easy or a royal pain, depending. If you were to make the swap, I would grab as much stuff off of the donor car as I could. This would include the ECM, dash harness and the plastic trim around the instrument cluster. I think that the fuel level sender is different between digital and analog, too. Kevin Kinney and I were chasing a driveability issue on his T Type that we traced to a faulty ECM. I had another one from a junkyard, so we tried that and the car ran fine. Only one hitch, his automatic climate control wouldn't work as the PROM in the ECM was for a manual A/C car! You never know what incompatability issues you'll run into until you swap the parts. Keep us posted!

Thanks,

Tim

Jayson, my gut suspicion is that they'll swap out as they both went in the same place initially . . . as for fitting and all of that. I also suspect they'll plug into the same wiring harness and such, too, getting the same information from the same sensors as the analog (most probably an "electronic cluster", too) would use. Just a different method of displaying the information (needles or readouts) . . . but I could be wrong as there might be some little things (as tim mentioned) that would be model-specific as for getting everything to work correctly. As I recall, LOTS of electronic things changed with each model year, back then, so I might recommend that you find the exact model year vehicle as a donor vehicle rather than something close.

I concur about getting everything off of the donor vehicle. It would be best if both cars were sitting side-by-side, though, but that's not always possible.

Seems like the vehice odometer readings on the digital cluster vehicles were kept in the ECM or BCM and not "in the cluster". Might take a scan tool to reset it to be accurate for your existing vehicle.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467