65' Power Steering

Ron Luchene

Greetings!

I am new to the forum but have been gaining insight from the info posted here for a few months. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge!

I have a 65' Riv and have had issues with the power steering. I rebuilt the pump and installed a new hose but still had issues (i.e. hard steering). I decided to swap the steering box and had info that indicated that a later model steering box would provide for a better ratio lock to lock and would fit without issue. The info also indicated that I needed to use the pitman arm which came with the steering box. In my case I have a 71' Riv steering box with a 71' pitman arm. No matter how I have looked at this, I can not possibly see how the 71 arm will work. I grabbed the original 65' pitman arm and it installs perfectly. I have turned the wheels side to side (about 2.5 turns lock to lock) and I can not see any issues with this arm. There is no binding and the motion side to side appears perfect. Has anyone swapped the steering box on a 65' with a later model box? Am I missing something or can I leave it as is with the 65' pitman arm?

If you don't use the original pitman arm, you'll destroy the geometry. It needs to be the same lenght as the idler arm. If not, you don't have a parallelogram between the two arms, you'll wind up with a trapezoid. You'll be creating a bind when you try to turn the wheels.

Thanks Ed! Personally I couldn't see it working any other way but when the documentation I had stated otherwise I was left wondering what I was doing wrong. I will hook up the hoses tomorrow night and hopefully I will have power steering again. My arms are getting sore!

Ron