1928 series "72" Chrysler Royal sedan

HarryJ,

Just picked up on your post. Looks like you're doing a great job on your "72". I've got a '31 CD8, the restore was completed about 15 years ago, but I still have some info from it as well as various links to sites that I've used since for repairs, etc. Also have my manuals, different models /different years, but I'll keep a watch and chime in if I can help. I also have a alot of odds and ends info.

Chrysler 72 - 6

Model Code: J (Engine # Prefix)

Years built: 1927 - 1928

Serial # Range: CW-000-P to CR-838-L

FYI: Photos of my '31 @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/cd8rob

• 1 month later...

Quick update..........Week before last I talked to John Wolf; he is working on my instrument cluster, He is taking his time; however, time in this context is not the issue, quality is, and from my brief conversation It appears this issue is being adressed. I went up to visit the gentlemen doing the body work on the car........it is looking very good!I have included some pics, for your review. The last picture shows a reproduction runningboard bracket next to an original. These would probably fool the original assembly line worker who made these by the thousands per day.

post-34731-143138017994_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138018002_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138018003_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138018009_thumb.jpg

David, thanx.......I am aware of these guys in Austrailia. They do not reproduce the handles and escutheons that replicate my series "72"; however, they seem to do an excellent job on the reproductions they do produce. I am attaching some more pictures from the body shop.

post-34731-143138019137_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138019143_thumb.jpg

Hi guys, I have found your info very interesting. We just recently purchase a 1928 Chrylser and really don't know what we have!!! I purchased this 2 door sedan at a estate auction. This car has been in my wife's family since day 1 and they wanted to make sure it stayed in the family and didn't get chopped. The anti-theft tag in the dash is interesting. I had no clue what it was. I looked at the appearance and seen both shades of the tag.

I was just looking for info on the 28' tonight and just stumbled onto your site. (what a great find). You are doing a excellant job on your car and I look forward to following your progress. My father-in-law has our 28' at his place and is currently working on the brakes. We are going to need the glass for the drivers door and also the LH passenger glass. The car is in original condition and runs pretty good. Clutch disk is stuck but we will get that free again. As for now we mainly want to get it running and operational. I am sure I will be asking questions about what I have!! Thanks for your info. Gene.

Hi Harry, I really can't give you much info. It is a 2 door sedan w/rear seat. The engine is a 6 cyl. The info on the title just calls it a sedan. I know very little about Chrylser cars so I have alot of research to do. We live about 3 hrs away from where the car is so I will have to wait until Thanksgiving to get some pictures and I will send them. I really can't find much on the internet about old Chryslers. Do you know of a web site I can research that might give me more info?? Gene.

• 2 weeks later...

This restoration project is proving to be somewhat of a challenge. I am attempting to restore the survivor to what it looked like when it rolled off the assembly line in 1927 or 1928. I am trying to preserve and/or replicate the appearance of the car as it was when the first buyer drove it off the lot. To date...............I have made great progress on the body and am studying the chassis. I really need your help in my pursuit. What did this car look like when it rolled off the assembly line? If anyone following this post has information to add please feel free to post it. Very few of these series "72" have survived. As far as I can guestimate' only 60 to 70 of these chassis have survived in any condition what-so-ever. That includes Concours winners to corn field find. The biggest challenge ahead will be to reproduce the die cast parts which include all of the door and window hardware and hopefully the dual throated carburetor. I have been exploring for some time rapid prototyping techniques, including laser scanning, stereolithography, and modern casting tecniques. I would like to hear from anyone out there with experience reproducing diecast parts. I would also like to see any pictures of surviviors no matter the body style or condition.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I have just stumbled onto this site and want to let you know of another Chrysler 72. Mine is a 7 passenger touring car in pretty bad condition. It has a cracked engine block and after 20 years, I have decided it's time to adapt another engine. These parts are near impossible to find here in Australia. Laurie.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are two original factory photos of the series "72" Royal sedan from the Chrysler Historical Data Collection. I believe these are very early photos, as this example has the painted headlamp shells and does not have a set of bumpers. Further note, the window reveals are painted a contrasting color on the period photo; on both of the cars I have the window reveals are body color (green). (note my pics of the parts car, post #494834).

post-34731-1431380317_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138031711_thumb.jpg

Guest David B

Harry J , Hello from Western Australia !I dont know if this is the correct place to submit this ,but here goes ! I own a 1928 Chrysler 72 Sportsmans Coupe (the one with the little side door for the golf sticks ) ,and have been restoring it for about 10 yrs now . The car came from Pennsylvania (Hershey sale),and was in quite good condition. It did have quite a bit of wood rot in the body ,and a little rust in the running boards, but all complete mechanically and running quite well. I have restored everything now , and am starting to assemble the accesories and fit the body .

I am fitting the Hassler shockers ,and wondered if you had any info on setting up and adjusting them?

Re the window winder handles ;I got new ones in 1999 from Bob's Automobillia in Atascadero CA $36 ea.(dont know if still available) I will send some photos of car when I figure this site out ! Regards , David B

David B, I look foward to the photographs of your series "72". As to the Hassler "shock absorbers", I am somewhat at a loss. To my knowledge, there is not a maintenance manual for this car and the owner's manual refers the owner/reader to the Hassler Manufacturing Co. Inc. of Indianapolis, Ind. The snubbers need some attention as to lubrication from time to time; however, as to other maintenance/adjustments I can't see any way to perform such. Again, I look foward to seeing pictures of your car. How do I get in touch with this Bob's Automobilia? For those following this post, I am still looking for the five bead running board molding.

Guest David B

Harry ,Thanks for reply re Hassler shockers. I guess I'll get them set up reasonably well ,in time.

The part numbers for the winders(Bob's Auto)not chromed are as follows:DH-27 door handle- inside.

WW27L window winder -long.(doors)

WW27S window winder -short.(windscreen)

WW27T window winder-T (rear window)

Is the 5 bead running board molding ,the rubber surface you are refering to ? or the metal? angle that goes along the edge? I have the correct rubber,but cant remember where I got it from .Could probably retrive info if needed.

Regards , David.

Guest David B

Harry J Here are hopefully 2 quick photos of my Chrysler 72 Sportsmans Coupe .I have reduced them so I hope they dont clog up the system !Hope it works!

Regards ,David.

post-59837-143138032523_thumb.jpg

post-59837-143138032524_thumb.jpg

David B ........I would really like to see more pictures of the body ; inside and out (with different perspectives). I really like the arm rests on the rumble seat. What is the engine color you used? I plan to restore the Hassler shocks on this forum some time in the future as I work through this survior. Let me know about your progress in these efforts. I notice the car you are restoring has the red head engine. By the way, what are the other cars in the room?

Guest David B

Harry ,The other car is my 1914 Talbot (photos coming)note the extractor type exhast manifold, alloy block and g/box ,steel rims, rear drum brakes,,,,a fantastic car to drive , and very reliable.....dont know what went wrong with English cars after that !

The colors of the engine I got matched from unmarked pieces on the g/box ,and a few spots of red on the head . They looked like the original.

Was the info on the winder handles of any help?

Did you understand my querie on the running boards ?(descriptions vary, and I'm no expert by a long shot ,just still learning .....painfully sometimes!) I will get some more photos soon.

Guest David B

Harry, Here are 2 photos of Talbot . I also got shock absorber snubber belting for the Chrysler( the propper stuff) 1-1/4" from Bob's Automobillia.

post-59837-143138033295_thumb.jpg

post-59837-143138033297_thumb.jpg

post-59837-143138033299_thumb.jpg

post-59837-143138033301_thumb.jpg

David B ................awesome! Yes, I did notice the reference to the running board molding; from what I can see from the catalogue image, it looks similiar to original pieces I have. I need to get a sample to compare. The Talbot is quite impressive; and I have a prejudice against foreign cars. Thanks for the additional pictures of the coupe body. I would appreciate as many pictures of the body as you have. Hopefully, in early February I will get my royal sedan body back from the body guys. The engine paint color looks similiar to the paint left on the parts car. If you could, I would like to see some detailed close-ups of the door hardware. Here is the cross sectional drawing of the molding again.

post-34731-143138033372_thumb.jpg

Guest David B

Harry , Here are photos of winders from Bob's Automobillia

not chromed.The patterns on the edges are fairly close to the original .Happy restoring

post-59837-143138034718_thumb.jpg

post-59837-14313803472_thumb.jpg

post-59837-143138034723_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some notes on the parts car. The focus of this post is, the on going restoration of a 1928 Chrysler "Royal Sedan" of which I acquired some35+ years ago. As I mentioned in this post; I own a parts car which I bought some 7+ years ago. The parts car as "acquired" is actually in better shape than the car I am restoring when I acquired it. Besides parts to cannibalise, I view the parts car as a pattern to see how the car was origanally assembled. I am trying to preserve the parts car as I restore the focus of this post. I am posting some pictures of the parts car preservation for your rewiew. The first three pictures show body parts (such as fenders) which are being preserved for the parts car. The last picture is of the parts car as it is as of this date and time.

post-34731-143138047917_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138047927_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138047937_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138047947_thumb.jpg

I've read with interest the progress you've made on your Chrysler along with the challanges and your choices of solutions to date. I did liked the topic of the floor boards, I too have this to deal with. And just for the record, I personally don't think you could get into to much detail here on your restoration. I'll be watching. Oh, one other thing, I sure wish I had a garage like the one your cars are in... Looks to be a nice old vintage space... Scott

Don......Scott....Thanks. Don, I plan to paint the car the green and black color scheme you see on the parts car. This was the same paint job the car I am restoring had on it when it was new; note my earlier post refering to automotive archaeology with the pictures of the green over spray. Scott, the shop I am restoring my cars in is the old Atlanta Speed Shop.

I am still in pursuit of running board molding for this restoration. The latest recommended source "Bobsautomobilia" sent me a sample. It meets some of the specs; however, it won't work. By the way this is a fine repro. The following are some pictures of the sample I was sent. I am now working with a friend of mine to produce some roll forming dies; so I can replicate the sample off my parts car. The third picture is of a sample from L&L; and the forth picture is one of the original molding off the parts car.

post-34731-143138048709_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138048717_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138048725_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138048734_thumb.jpg

Well, I thought I would tackle an easy component of the car to restore next. While brousing arround in the parts I noticed the horn and decided to tackle it's restoration (sounds simple right?) As I am trying to faithfully replicate the look as it rolled off the assembly line I took some time to study the assembly; noting such things as which sides the screw heads were on in the flange. I took several pictures and made many notes. As I said, all was well and good until I looked at the horn on the parts car. Turns out the horn on the car I am working on was manufactured by Sparton ; whereas, the horn on the parts car was made by Klaxon! Chrysler must of had more than one supplier of horns. Both are original to the cars in my possession and upon quick examination look alike. I need your help again as I would like to restore the Sparton tag or find a replacement. Has anyone had these reproduced?

post-34731-143138049553_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138049561_thumb.jpg

post-34731-14313804957_thumb.jpg

Guest Pulfer&Williams

Hello Harry,

As per our phone discussion we can have these produced. We already have the Klaxon 18B tag, but we will have to produce the Sparton SOS A as we the A2 model. We also have hunders of other styles of tags if you think of anything else that you man need. I will be contacting you today to discuss needing the original sparton tag you have pictured in order to have it remade. If there are any other tags you can think of please email us at lavine@bnin.net, or you can visit our LaVine Restorations website and find our contact information (along with restorations and work our shop has done). Also we are working on a pulfer&williams website that will have our full catalog and that should be completed soon. Talk to you soon.

Travis