Relocating headlamps on a 64?

Guest Gee_Rydes

Guest Gee_Rydes

Does anyone here know what headlamp mounting brackets are used when relocating the headlamps on a 64 (or 63) to the location that the 65's are.

I'm not talking about converting to operate like a 65, but rather just leaving them fixed behind the turn signal grilles.

I have heard of people using Jag XJ-S headlamps, but that seems a little extreme. I thought maybe 65 brackets are used but I have not seen one up close.

I figure at least a hundred of the 63/64 style have been relocated (maybe more) over the years and some of the folks that have been around may know what the best ideas have been.

I think Nick on this board recently converted so maybe he can offer some advice?

Thanks

The only thing I know for sure is that the fender braces behind the turn signal grills are different; 63/64 fenders do not interchange with 65 fenders. I too have seen this modification using Jaguar headlights, but don't know the particulars. If I were to venture a guess, I would think that you'd want to find something like a chevy truck (they were the rectangular kind) from the late 80's that had vertically stacked headlights and see if you adapt the bracket from that to your fender. What are you going to do with the turn signals? After you've figured it out, share it with the rest of us who've had the same idea.

Ed

Guest Gee_Rydes

Ed,

They make H4 style headlamps that are an exact replacement for the 4000 style round headlamps and have a 194 style bulb inside the actual headlamp housing that I thought I can use for the turn signals. I have not tested them to see the brightness, but that concept should work out.

I also thought maybe the 65 mounting brackets may have to be tacked into the 64 fenders since, as you point out, they are different fenders.

Hopefully others here have seen it done too and can give us some ideas.

Dave,

I think that you are on to something with the headlamp/turn signal combination. I did this back in 1984 on A '37 Chevy 2 dr sedan that I street rodded. I bought 2 Helo halogen headlamps that had a metal reflector with the lense bonded to it. I measured up an 1157 bulb socket and drilled a coresponding size hole in the reflector below the headlamp bulb. I installed the socket with an 1157A (amber) bulb and then wired it all up. I had turn signals, parking lamps, low and high beam lamps all in one housing with no need to run another lamp housing for park lamps or turn signals. I went with the 1157A so that the turn signal light would be amber and show through with the headlamps on. I would do some investigation to see if the 194 bulb would be adequate for this application.

Keep us posted!

Tim

Guest Gee_Rydes

Tim,

What you describe is exactly what I am thinking. You may be right having to upgrade the size for a 1157 or 2057A.

Now I just need to work out the brackets part

Dave

Guest Gee_Rydes

lvrpool32...(Nick) where are you? I think you would be a valuable source for this thread seeing as the picture of your flamed 64 shows the 65 grille installed.

We would love to hear your thoughts

Thanks

Dave,

Pontiacs, Fords and even Mopar's of this vintage stacked the smaller headlamps vertically, too. It might be possible to get a mounting bracket set up from one of them and recess it into the fender of the Riviera at less cost than finding a clam shell set up off of a 65 Riv. Are you planning on having the headlamps exposed or under the parking lamp grill and lense? Sounds like fun!

Tim

Guest lvrpool32

Hi, sorry, have been busy organising my sons christening and trying to finsih the rivi's paint.

I actually haven't finalised my headlamp plans, the idea I was going with is a plate to replace the factory reflector that would hold 2 5-3/4" headlights (re use the factory headlamp "buckets" just weld three posts per lamp onto the plate so you have adjustment.) I was going to move the "running lights" and directionals to behind the grill (make some brackets so they would mount to the radiator support) either use round units I have(from a Tr4) or some oblong billet LED types I have. I would have to test to see how much light would be visible through the grill as I plan to put a stainless black powdercoated mesh behind the grill and between the two front bumpers.

However I found some nice 7" headlights with LED directionals built into them on the web the other day and the seller is looking into whether they make (or can make) a 5-3/4" version.

So I am going to wait before I make my final decision, as I have Hagans flush mount tail lights, crazy paint, lowered (or will be once I put the air bags in) I want the headlights to match the "theme".

cheers,

Nick

Guest Gee_Rydes

I would like to see them behind the stock turn signal grilles without the lens of the 64. The 63/64 have about an extra 1/2 of sheetmetal at the top of the fender light opening and I think these look better than the 65 because the top of the radiator grille matches up with the top of the turn grilles in an almost perfect horizontal line. The 65's clamshell trims are a bit taller.

The new "headlamp" grilles now have the see through look that the radiator grille has. Plus, the added benefit of not having to deal with the 65 motor and linkage is a plus.