Citroen 5 HP

Guest Mochet

Guest VeloMan

Anyone else like out there like French cars? I seem to have this subject to myself. I was wondering if anyone in the USA has a Citroen 5HP (1922-1926).

Guest carmagreviews

Cannot I ever heard of any of the US of 5CV I assume thats the Cloverleaf most of surivors seem to be in Australia or here in New Zealand

Cheers Julian

Guest VeloMan

They were never imported into the U.S., but were manufactured not only in France, but in Germany, Spain and South America (maybe the U.K., also). U.S. buyers were looking for bigger cars, as usual. The Austin Bantam was the American version of this size car, and it was never a big seller.

Philip Jamison

Guest VeloMan

Are you in Europe or the USA? I'd like to know more about your 5HP. One thing that confuses me are the terms used in Europe (and sometime the USA) describing car bodies: cabriolet, berline, torpedo, coupe. I also see the 2-seat Citroen 5HP mislabelled as the "Trefle" which has 3 seats.

Philip

It doesn't look like my reply went through. I'm in Maryland so I am not too far away. My Cabriolet has glass windows that pull up with leather straps. I think most of the other models had side curtains. I tried posting a picture but it didn't work, so I'll try again.

Guest VeloMan

It seems the image must have a URL to be posted here. I just put images on a free image host. I used freeimagehosting.net. You simply upload your image. There are no fees or extras that I can see. Once uploaded, just "copy" the URL of your image and paste it into the "Enter an Image" box here.

Philip

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Patrick Wibaux

I have a 1922 5HP torpedo. It will soon be completely restored from the ground up! I live in South West Georgia above Tallahassee.

Patrick

I have now completed my restoration. It won best of class at the Hilton Head Island Concours!

Edited by Patrick Wibaux (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest f3mickey

I am in phoenix and I also have a 1925 7.5hp ( 5HP ) trefle rhd vin plate shows: brook green hammersmith w6... burgundy with black wings. and am I need of instruction regarding removal and replacement of the transmission brake drum. especially how to remove the flexible coupling between the drum and the propshaft. by the way, this car is a hoot and as soon as I learn how to post a photo I will.

Guest VeloMan

I don't see your image, Mickey. You could try www. photobucket.com, which works for me.

For your Citroen, go to http://www.citroen-5hp.ch/, the only 5-HP web site. The repair manual is partially posted there, but I think you can find a reprint of it by clicking on "Swap Meet". Willy Schafroth of Switzerland, who runs the site, has reprinted several plus he's written a book about restoring the car. It's in French, but that's the price you pay for liking French cars!

Phil Jamison

PA

Guest Good Old Days

Hi Veloman!

Do you like this one, it's a dutch 5HP from 1923.

Unfortunatly I sold it a few months ago, to make place for (another) american car I bought!

A little sore, but okay that's life!

You know it doesn't run so fast, max 50 km./h!

Good luck with your 5HP!

post-56819-143137987603_thumb.jpg

Guest VeloMan

Very nice, Carine, and the wheels are the correct color, also. In 1923, 50km/h was fast enough. I am more interested in style than speed anyway!

Best,

Phil

Guest Good Old Days

Hi Phil!

You do have a very good taste, I must admit, the 5HP is a lovely car.

The looks of it are eyecatching.

Driving it is very easy, love the gearbox, even the speed

can be a delight!

Last year when I was in France, I ran into a group of antique cars from several French makes. If you like this I can put some pics on, I'm sure there was a 5HP with it as well.

If you need information send me a PM and I will try to help you!

Avec plaisir, monsieur!

Carine

Guest Good Old Days

Hi Phil!

Here's another one, this one is in France together with some other beautiful cars, like Roland Pillain, Delage and a Renault 1903!

Have fun with it!

cool.gif

post-56819-14313798856_thumb.jpg

post-56819-143137988562_thumb.jpg

Guest VeloMan

I like the rain cover and the radiators in the burgundy car, Carine! It must be difficult to work on the engine.

Phil

Guest Good Old Days

The hood can easily be opened, so working on it must be not to difficult. (I will ask the owner in September when we are in France)

As you probably will know, the French built, due to taxes, engines with low HP, but good performances.

I like the rain cover as well, it works both ways, for rain and for sun which is overheating your leather seats!

It's a Renault model Tonneau 1903.

Thanks for looking!

Guest Patrick Wibaux

Good evening 5HP fans!

For the best technical info on the 5 HP one needs the book "les archives du collectionneur"!

- Go to Google: "revue technique les archives du

collectionneur"

- On the left at"recherche rapide" type:"5CV" and then "GO".

- Select "Citroen B10 - B12 - 5CV - 1919-1926-!

At 44.75 Euros it is rather expensive but worth it! Yes, it is in French but the translation should not be a problem!

To get it cheaper try eBay on the French site.

• 1 year later...

I think we all still have our 5HP's! I haven't really started the restoration yet, but I did find an illustrated parts list (available in reprint from Raije in Frace). It cost 30 euros plus 14 for shipping, but very helpful. Interestingly, a Citroen club from South America posted the illustrations from this catalog in pdf form, but not the parts list.

Their is not a lot of 5HP information on the internet. Willy Schafroth in Switzerland has a rather nice 5HP site, but a lot of the links don't work, and he doesn't reply to e-mails. Too bad, as he wrote a book on 5HP restoration which I'd like to purchase! Their are dozens of Citroen clubs worldwide, but none have any focus on the 5HP. There is even a 10HP page and forum, but none for the 5HP!

The good news is Bernard Laurent's book " CITROËN 5HP 1922-1926 ". This beautifully-designed volume is a trove of great period photos and specifications (in French, naturellement). He also has published an equally-good book on the Citroen 10HP, and plans further books on the B14 and B15 and Rosalies.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I belive polyparts is still in business. I ordered some parts from them a couple of months ago, but it took some days before they answered my email. I belive it is Mr Schafroth who is running polyparts.

Here is some other french companies who sells 5HP parts:

DEPANOTO - Pièces et accessoires pour automobiles anciennes française

Auto4A - Votre fournisseur de pièces détachées voitures anciennes et véhicules historiques

RENEL AUTO ACCESSOIRES - Pièces détachées et accessoires pour automobiles anciennes

alex

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be bringing my "work in progress" Citroen 5HP to Carlisle Import Show this weekend (May 21). We were trying to start it tonight for the first time, and getting nothing. We fiddled with everything from timing to valves, etc. Finally, it just started and idled smoothly. I have no idea if it drives. I guess I'll find out on Saturday!

Phil

My 5HP made it to the Carlisle Import Show, unfortunately losing the crank somewhere on the PA Turnpike between Downingtown and Carlisle. If you see it, let me know! Anyway, the car started right up off the trailer, and I drove it for the first time down to the show field where I parked with the other Citroens. There were more than thirty in all, I'd say, include three traction avants, several 2CV's, a few D-models, a panel truck, etc. I was surprised to see my car was the oldest in the show by about thirty years! Many of the import cars were new or a few years old. I saw only one Peugeot. There was also one lonely Trabant. It threatened to rain all day, but never did. At the end of the day, the 5HP refused to start. It turned out the magneto bolts had come loose, one of which we found under the radiator. My mechanic friend Bob valiantly tried to re-set the timing, but we eventually had to push it back onto the trailer. I was happy to have driven it, however, if only for a few blocks!

Phil

My 5HP in the Citroen line.

post-52500-14313821955_thumb.jpg

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)

• 6 years later...
Guest Vonlemberg

I also have 5HP (model 3C) that i am restoring now.
but im restoring to 1926 speedster specifications rather then typical factory specs.
I want to do vintage racing with it
Let me know if anyone is restoring this type of the car/ model. We can share info on these cars.

index.jpg

• 1 month later...

Phil 

There was a cloverleaf in an old warehouse in Long Beach, Ca

Building is gone but the cards still there somewhere. Everything belonged to the owner of a boat scrapyard

I have a 1915 International MW there. Three blocks away I found another one sitting....... So much stuff in So Cal 

I even found a 1937 BMW 328 engine block in Signal Hill one day.