Packard Exterior Color

Tom M

Since I did want to steal the '26 for sale thread I figure I start a new thread about exterior colors in general.

It was pointed out in the thread about an exact car for sale on ebay that looked like a circus wagon. I did not catch the ebay number so I can't make judgment on what the car looks like. Guess what I am getting to is what colors have all seen that was not the norm for Packard?

Guest imported_Speedster

This '25 Touring is on eBay now.

This is what I call a 'Circus Wagon'. sick.gif

Is this the one you are talking about?

I don't see how anyone could 'Mess Up' a great car, like that. sick.gif Unless it was for a Prop in some kind of Strange Fantasy Movie.

post-33516-143137959987_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this one of these pick out what's wrong in this picture? </div></div>

It may be Easier to try to pick out 'What is Correct', in the pictures. laugh.gif Since there are so many that are Not.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since my hard drive crashed I can't find a better picture of this car but you can see what some of the color from the engine shoot I took. </div></div>

I want to know who the red-head is, reflected in the headlight? She looks interesting from that angle. laugh.gif

I wish you guys would Learn how to Reduce your File Sizes! wink.gif I gonna ware out my trackball scrolling back and forth. LOL

If I were a customer and wanted to buy a new Packard and brought in my own can of paint didn't Packard paint the car with that Color for you?

I am not after what is right or wrong I wanted to see what other paint schemes people have painted their beloved Packards.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not after what is right or wrong I wanted to see what other paint schemes people have painted their beloved Packards. </div></div>

Okay we've shown some Extremes. How many hundreds of pictures do you want posted? laugh.gif

Just Kiddin',

Should I post some of my favorites, or would you like me to see if I have some pics or 'Your' favorites? If so, give me a clue? wink.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packin31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with you Rick it is hard to scroll back and forth to see the pictures so I reduced the one I posted. </div></div>

But, Now I can't see the red-head! mad.gif LOL

Your favorites would be great or off the wall colors smile.gif

Wish I had a better shot of the lime green one. My friends 1970 Challenger TA is painted that color.

That redhead was my wife smile.gif no just kiddin not sure who she was.

Guest imported_Speedster

I scaned thru my pics of '31s and my favorite colors are this one: (it needs a cover over the trunk to match top, tho)

post-33516-143137960006_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

Yes, there are at least 4 shades of tan there. The wheels are a darker Taupe color, the body is two shades of tan and then the top a lighter tan. Really a good combination.

Probably couldn't get that many colors with your hardtop coupe, but maybe Close. cool.gif

Here's a 1934 Phaeton that was on sale on ebay recently. The listing is here. Note that the seller says, "Although painted in period restoration colors of the 70's, . . . This would make an EASY restoration to another color if you choose."

post-54236-143137960008_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

Yes, that would be the Easyest and Best Solution, since it has an external trunk already, it really doesn't need that one also and it would take up a Lot less space in the garage. wink.gif

Ok, Tom, Here's a 1932 901 that is <span style="font-style: italic">almost</span> totally correct. He even found a set of 1932 paint chips and had the colors copied. There is only one thing that should be changed. Anyone know what it is? I'll give the answer in a day or so if no one gets it,, which I'm sure some of you eagle eyed Packaholics will spot easily... B

post-48053-143137960012_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packard32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, Tom, Here's a 1932 901 that is <span style="font-style: italic">almost</span> totally correct. He even found a set of 1932 paint chips and had the colors copied. There is only one thing that should be changed. Anyone know what it is? I'll give the answer in a day or so if no one gets it,, which I'm sure some of you eagle eyed Packaholics will spot easily... B </div></div>

Incorrect running boards?

Oh also copper fuel lines grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1935Packard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a 1934 Phaeton that was on sale on ebay recently. The listing is here. Note that the seller says, "Although painted in period restoration colors of the 70's, . . . This would make an EASY restoration to another color if you choose." </div></div>

What struck me was the terrible shape of the engine compartment and the right hand door as a very visible gap. yes a repaint will cost you 15-20K, but this car to me would need a lot more than that.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packard32</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There is only one thing that should be changed. Anyone know what it is? </div></div>

The light-Blue color of Wheels doesn't look correct to me ???

And the winner is... Speedster.. give the man a repair kit for leaking blocks!!!... The wheels should be the same color as the fenders. The light blue is the correct color for the pinstripes...Fender colors are Midnight blue, and the body is Countess blue...B

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packard32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And the winner is... Speedster.. give the man a repair kit for leaking blocks!!!... The wheels should be the same color as the fenders. </div></div>

Maybe Santa will bring that kit for Christmas. laugh.gif

Guest 1956Packard

I for one find this thread to be very interesting. I'd love to see more photos of 'proper' cars and improper.

BTW. 'Circus wagon' or not, if someone offered to give me the car......

Geoff

I know this is a custom bodied Victoria by Waterhouse body company, but I've forgotten the year, and I think it is a 1930 7th series. It is a very rare car because Waterhouse made very few cars on Packard chassis. Paint is personal opinion.. but to me, this is one ugly combination. I don't know if it's supposed to be the original colors or not. Note also the rare light bar bumper on the front, there is a matching on the rear with red lenses, as well as the Woods lights, chromed disc wheels, and Lalique hood ornament....B

post-48053-143137960056_thumb.jpg

Those are supposedly the original colors for that car, as it was made up for the auto-show circuit. One thing I've heard/learned is that many cars custom-painted for auto shows (using WILD color combinations), needed to be repainted before being put on the market. Not all, mind you, but most.

The first person that restores cars like this and takes it down to the last nut and bolt, finds some very strange colors.

This is a good example of why you should NEVER put a lighter color on the bottom (fenders) and a darker color on the top (body). I know there are several original examples of Packards (and others) that did this, but it doesn't work. High contrasting two-tones look strange to begin with, but when you do it backwards, it looks even worse. But then... that's just MHO.

Guest bkazmer

The light over dark tends to make the car look less massive. The 1941 two tones (highly promoted in the sales literature) are all light over dark (silver/gray, silver/blue, silver/maroon, green/green, tan/brown). So are the Clipper ones. The odd ones are the bathtubs - brown, blue, or green over tan.

I used to like those dual Trippe lights but not anymore. Apparently those style lights were never actually a factory authorized accessory and are actually lights originally meant for large trucks. The Packard Trippe Light shown in the '32 Accessory Catalog is the single center mounted "steerable" light. I don't think anyone has ever seen a factory photo showing the dual Trippes. AACA grandfathered them in years ago and they are still popular on show cars, but they aren't correct.

When one ordered a custom body on a classic in the 20s or 30s the owner choose the color, so there were no "factory colors" per se. Most buyers were older, rich and conservative, but not all. I once saw a Ruxton in California restored in its original colors, seven shades of lavender in stripes. You paid for it and you got what you wanted.

There were 4 or 5 of those Ruxtons painted that way, not because an owner wanted it that way. They were painted that way for the auto-show circuit. It drew attention, and was supposed to make the car look even lower than it was (optical illusion). Each had a different color scheme.

What looks really odd on this car is not so much the paint, but the big ugly trunk on the back. I think it would also look better with black tires.

post-33613-143137960074_thumb.jpg