Sign in to follow this  
Peter Gariepy

Welcome Pontiac Flathead Fans

tin_indian    10
Hmmm...Thanks, Tin Indian. I think that would completely compress the coil springs inside, right? Then back off for slot alignment, just giving the springs the least bit of rebound/compression as steering inputs and road shocks are transmitted. It's a funny old system. And funny that it isn't covered in the shop manual. The picture of your 54 reminded me of the 51 Ambulance, body by Meteor(?-hazy on that) I got back in '79 or '80, on its very last legs, as an engine donor for my 53. And telling you that reminded me of the 57 Pontiac hearse I bought around then, in the hope that its Hydramatic would replace mine. Big disappointment - little in common but the name.

Is that vertical chrome ahead of the rear wheel a simulated air intake, like Caddys of the era?

In my '49 - '54 shop manual it has a blurry photocopy of the centerlink that's a cutaway. It says, (with an arrow pointing at the end cap) "Adjust end plug by turning down tight and backing off to nearest cotter pin hole" When I had my centerlink disassembled to clean and re-grease, I remember noticing the springs looked heavier than a valve spring. I highly doubt turning the plug in would even begin to compress it. You'd have to really crank it.

The vertical chrome is to cover the section of the front of the rear fender that was cut off. There was a rounded front to the fender. To accommodate a straight vertical edged rear door, the fender was chopped and a chrome piece was fabricated to cover the raw end.

Heres a shot of one side of the centerlink guts. Note how heavy the coil spring is?

centerlinkguts_zps401aa79a.jpg

Tinindian    272

There is a special screwdriver that exactly flits the slot. On my car I tighten it down as tight as I can using a 1/2 inch ratchet (approx. 60 ft/lbs) and then back off to insert the cotter pin. You have no idea of the road force shock that is put on those springs and seats when your wheel hits a bump, pot hole or the wheel drops into a rut. Adjusted right and lubricated those pieces will last 500,000 miles.

stelor    10

Thanks again, Tin Indian. I should have taken a closer look at the manual. Great pictures of your project. Wow, a lot of work to this play, isn't there? Some of the sheet metal and heavier metal work you had to do seems painfully familiar to me for some reason. My 57 hearse furnished an electric wiper motor for my 53, in an easy installation. It still uses the cables to run the pivots, and they're looser than they should be - another situation where I'm tempted to say the manual doesn't give adjustment instructions. But I'll recheck before saying that.

stelor    10

My thanks to you, too, Tinindian. Years ago, I flattened the shaft of a 3/8" extension for use as an adjusting tool. It has since gone the way of all the earth, and was not among the goods and effects present on our trip south. I improvised using the tire iron. "Some fun, huh, Bambi?" When the apprentice asked the old pro for the torque spec, O.P answered, "As tight as you can get it, plus a quarter turn."

tin_indian    10
There is a special screwdriver that exactly flits the slot. On my car I tighten it down as tight as I can using a 1/2 inch ratchet (approx. 60 ft/lbs) and then back off to insert the cotter pin. You have no idea of the road force shock that is put on those springs and seats when your wheel hits a bump, pot hole or the wheel drops into a rut. Adjusted right and lubricated those pieces will last 500,000 miles.

So, you really tightened yours up? How many extra turns did you get after the screw/plug initially contacted the cup?

stelor    10

I have another problem - windshield wipers. The cables are off the drums that drive them at the motor end. (Long story) Which one goes where, and how is slack removed, so the wipers sit down nicely when parked?

pontiac1953    29
I have another problem - windshield wipers. The cables are off the drums that drive them at the motor end. (Long story) Which one goes where, and how is slack removed, so the wipers sit down nicely when parked?

what year pontiac do you have ?

pontiac1953    29

i see now that stelor has a 53 pontiac, i will take pictures of mine and post them here. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

stelor    10

Hello, Charles, and thank you. I got my wipers sorted out - I used the muddle through, trial and error, take a stab in the dark, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again method that has served me so well, so long. I've admired your impressive (understatement) Pontiac, having seen your posts somewhere. Love the spoke wheel covers.

pontiac1953    29
post-32395-143142529253_thumb.jpghi stelor, i went out to my 53 (not much room around the car in the garage) and tried to take some pictures with my sony digital camera, lol, the air conditioning hoses up inside the dash kept me from getting good pictures. i am glad to read that you sorted it all out. thanks for your opinion of my olds/pontiac wire wheel hubcaps, that was a fun project, i ended up doing two more sets of four for other people, and one for a friend's man cave wall decoration. let me know if you have any other 1953 pontiac needs. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

post-32395-143142529179_thumb.jpg

post-32395-143142529206_thumb.jpg

post-32395-14314252923_thumb.jpg

stelor    10

Thanks again, Charles. I appreciate the effort you made, including an advanced application of contortional gymnastics, to get those pictures. You da man. And I relate well to the not much room thing - those two doors take a lot of it to get them open far enough for inside work. I removed one defroster duct, after removing the dash speaker, after removing the glove box, and then I could get my hand (singular - not that I don't have two) in there. Needed light, but the light kept getting knocked out of focus, speaking of which, working at that distance I have to peer over the glasses. The pull-up cable goes on one drum, and the pull-down cable on the other, for each wiper. Simple, once you know how. I suppose that's in a body manual or a wiper supplier manual somewhere.

I found another use for those rear fender emblems. I used one of mine as a mold, melted aluminum rod into it, and for a second one, solder, to make a head for my grille center. Sandwiched it between plexiglass circles, put a light behind it, and get along pretty OK until a correct one shows up in my price range of, well, low.

pontiac1953    29
Thanks again, Charles. I appreciate the effort you made, including an advanced application of contortional gymnastics, to get those pictures. You da man. And I relate well to the not much room thing - those two doors take a lot of it to get them open far enough for inside work. I removed one defroster duct, after removing the dash speaker, after removing the glove box, and then I could get my hand (singular - not that I don't have two) in there. Needed light, but the light kept getting knocked out of focus, speaking of which, working at that distance I have to peer over the glasses. The pull-up cable goes on one drum, and the pull-down cable on the other, for each wiper. Simple, once you know how. I suppose that's in a body manual or a wiper supplier manual somewhere.

I found another use for those rear fender emblems. I used one of mine as a mold, melted aluminum rod into it, and for a second one, solder, to make a head for my grille center. Sandwiched it between plexiglass circles, put a light behind it, and get along pretty OK until a correct one shows up in my price range of, well, low.

i'm leaving today on the truck (cross country truckdriver), when i get back home, i'll look in my stash for a 51,53 pontiac grill lucite emblem, i like the 52 emblem with the head in gold instead of silver. charles.

TheGerman    10

Hello together,

i am glad that i found this forum and want to say hello. I just registered myself and hope that you can answer some questions that i will have in the next months during the restauration of my "brandnew"

1950 Pontiac Chieftain Silverstreak 2 Door Sedan.

I bought the baby last month here in Germany with an US-Title from Virginia.

The condition is not too bad, motor running, not too much rust, chrome bad.

The next days i try to upload some photos.

Have a nice day (or night)

( Sorry for my english, hope it is not too bad )

mokelsen    10

Hi everybody! Nice to meet you!

Please allow me to introduce myself:

My name is Thomas, another european german with the virus for flathead Pontiac!

My automotive adventure is just about to start:

post-106636-143142993523_thumb.jpg

Leaving Miami this car is now on its journey to Europe!

After arrival (How long might this take?) I will post a bit more about this 1954 Pontiac Starchief Catalina 2Dr Hardtop.

I am almost sure that the description of its seller is correct: A beautiful and solid car, nearly original.

(To my knowledge the colors on that car are non-original, but look very, very sharp!!!).

She will need some minor modifications to get a german registration.

I think this forum will be very helpful for me in near future!

Thanks for being here!

Thomas

pontiac1953    29

hi thomas, congrats on getting the 54 starchief custom catalina hardtop, i can help you with lots of factory information from my 53-54 pontiac library. i have own my 53 chieftain custom catalina for 42 years, and i've been the 53 pontiac tech advisor for 30 years. if you are on facebook, please look up the pontiac chieftain club, i'm on there quite a bit, helping others like you and me. you can also email me directly at charlessdv8@yahoo.com , look forward to hearing from you and helping you.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci

post-32395-143142997203_thumb.jpg

post-32395-143142997226_thumb.jpg

post-32395-143142997252_thumb.jpg

post-32395-143142997276_thumb.jpg

post-32395-143142997302_thumb.jpg

post-32395-143142997327_thumb.jpg

post-32395-143142997349_thumb.jpg

mokelsen    10

Hi Charles,

it is very exciting to get involved with these nice old cars from the 50s for the very first time!!

Hope I will not regret it...:cool:

Thanks for offering your advice!

post-106636-143142997426_thumb.jpg

This is a picture from its former owner.

New ones will be posted in another thread (and -as I understood- automatically in my gallery...)

Thanks again

Thomas

Edited by mokelsen (see edit history)