1963 Riviera Decode Help?

Guest vinnyfl

Guest JETCOBOB

Hey Guys,

You guys have opened a whole can of worms for me. The FB code for me is 5523, a very early production. I have a 10E code so,it was built in Oct. of 62'. I think that explains the engine code showing "I", meaning model year. I'm guessing that since it was an early production model it had a 62' built engine. The rest is I6,N2,SU8,Z4.This is a heavily optioned car, that's one of the reasons I was trying to find the complete history. I did find out that there was 37,399 cars with the 401 cid and 2601 with the 425 cid. Try,www.rivowners.org/features/colortrim/images/bodycode.gif

Bob-

Are you sure you have an "I" code engine? Because the '63 model year engines all have engine codes beginning with J (like JT and 3 numbers) even if they were built in '62.

Do you have the 120 MPH or the 140 MPH speedometer?

My car was built the week after yours and it has the 140.

Guest JETCOBOB

Jim,

I took some pics of the areas in question. The engine codes both show an "I". There are 2 sets of numbers,both containing an "I". There's "production code" stamped with an arrow pointing to the numbers in question. I can send these pics via e-mail if you want. I also have shots of the dash, speedo, trim plate and VIN plate. The car was originally silver but the previous owner painted it black 20 years ago. I've owned it for 7 years. The rest of the car is "mostly" original and not restored. My engine is a green color. I read "all" 401's were painted silver. I saw this green in a'62 Electra once. I don't think the engine was repainted. I have a body and chassis manual, so I'm pretty sure I'm looking in the right areas.

I don't have a ribbed dash,my speedo goes to 120,my outside rear-view mirror is up close to the driver(which is a pain in the rear),the spare is on the trunk floor(to the right). Don't you think that since this was an early model they may have used up '62 year manufactured engines. Since this was a first year vehicle, they may have used up older engines. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

Let me know what you think!

Bob

ROA #8992

Guest Gee_Rydes

Bob,

I re-read the post and didn't see anything that says your engine matches your VIN. Maybe that is too obvious, but with the "I" and the green engine color, are you absolutely sure it is the original engine?

If it is original and VIN matching, this is a very interesting subject!!

Bob-

Sounds like someone put a '62 nailhead engine in your '63. The '63 Riv had a silver engine and a J code when it left the factory.

Don't sweat it. Just paint it silver and no one will be the wiser.

Other than the engine, everything else on your car sounds about right for a car built at that time. The 120 MPH speedo is interesting. My car was built a week later and has the 140 MPH. So that kind of narrows it down to the end of October as the switch date from 120 to 140.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnrex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim, remember at the ROA gathering in Flagstaff that there was a '63 that had a "green" engine. The owner told both of us that it was an original car and a very late build. I still have a couple photos of it.

John Hellmuth </div></div>

Yes, John, I do. Kind of proves the old "there's an exception to every rule". I now wish we had asked him to pull the air filter housing off and look at the VIN and engine codes on it. I remember him saying the numbers matched.

I'm not an expert on the '63 non-Riviera. I think I heard that other full size '63s had the green engine. I think we decided that his engine was still a '63 but wrong color...

Jim,

My dad had a '63 Wildcat when I was in high school. It had the green engine in it. I'm 99.9% sure that the silver engine was a one year one model ('63 Riviera)color. In 66 the Riv had the red engine, but I don't know about the color of the engines in the Electra, Wildcat, and Lesabre models.

Ed

Guest JETCOBOB

Jim-

If you want,I can send these photos to you via e-mail.I have pics of the dash, speedo, engine#,VIN plate,trimplate, and a pic of the engine itself(re:color).I'm new at this computer thing. Not sure how to link to my pics from here. I know how from e-mail! The thing that stumps me is, the engine #.

Guest JETCOBOB

Jim and Gee Rydes-

One more thing. Just copied the numbers off the engine. It's-----4I174335. Can't quite make out the the other numbers. I didn't say this was a numbers matching car, just trying to figure out what the deal is with this engine. Obviously, the number on the engine doesn't match the VIN.

VIN--7J1018817. Doesn't the first number in the engine# indicate where the engine was manufactured,4=Kansas City?

The "I" of course indicates the model year,I=1962. I'm assuming the rest of the numbers are"legally" to match the VIN. With such a large amount of numbers after the "I", I'm guessing that's a high production number, so it could very well be from a LeSabre. Just putting it out there for discussion.

The 7J number is correct for a 1963 Riviera. 7 is the model number (4700 series, as compared to the 4400 series Lesabre, the 4600 series Wildcat/Invicta Wagon, and the 4800 Series Electra.) The J is the year code for 1963. The VIN number from your car should also be on the engine; front driver's side of the machined surface where the valley cover bolts on the top of the block. The only engine codes for 1963 Rivieras are JT for the 401, and JW for the 425. One of those two numbers is on the opposite side of the engine from where the VIN numbers is stamped. The engine code is stamped in. The years run consecutively with J being 1963. You can go forward or back from there. There are other codes for 401's beside the T. U, R, etc would designate a lower compression ratio, a two barrel carb, an engine for export, etc. Keep scraping until you find that two letter year/engine code. The attachment is from a 1966 Buick chassis manual but the numbers are in the same place. The engine production code on this illustration is MT123, M = 1966, T = 401 w/ 4 bbl carb, and 10.25 to one compression ratio. You should try to find a similar number on your engine and let us know what that one is. Pay no attention to the VIN number on this illustration, in 1965, a new format for VIN's was introduced. This 1966 VIN has no relationship to your 1963 VIN.

Based on the VIN number you've taken from this engine, I'd say that it is a 401 taken from a 4 series car, the LeSabre, for 1962. You might want to do some real searching now to see if perhaps the block is the only part of the engine that mught be from a '62. Look for date stamp codes on the intake manifold and other related parts. If this is a 4 series engnie, it would have orginally come with a two barrel carb and 9.5 to one compression ratio. What kind of carb does it have. If it's a Carter AFB, look for a number on the face of one of the mounting tabs. If the block was replaced, it could been rebuilt with the proper pistons, and used the '63 heads, intake, and exhaust manifolds when it was all put back together. You might have a real puzzle on your hands.

In reality, if it makes you feel better, just buy a can of silver paint from Hirsch and drive it proudly.

If it does have the lower compression ratio, it will be much more driveable on today's gas. That has to be a plus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JETCOBOB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim-

If you want,I can send these photos to you via e-mail.I have pics of the dash, speedo, engine#,VIN plate,trimplate, and a pic of the engine itself(re:color).I'm new at this computer thing. Not sure how to link to my pics from here. I know how from e-mail! The thing that stumps me is, the engine #. </div></div>

Sure, check you personal messages...

I'd love to see them.

• 4 years later...
Guest Hydrus

I need help, I have a 63 Riviera. It has been in the famely from the time it was new, It's mine now. I would like to know all I can about her so I can rebuild her.

VIN# 7J1092774

plate in eng. comp.

04D

style 63 4747 FB30745 BODY

trim 736J2 NN PAINT

acc. D 16 N2 U7

How can I tell what eng is in it, and it has a plate on the dash that sed " Built expressly for my uncle".

All info will help.

Hydrus,

First of all congratulations on your new acquisition.

Here's the decoding info you were asking about

04D = build date 04 - 4th month, D - 5th week

63 = 1963

4747 = 4700 (Riviera) 47 = 2 dr. hardtop

FB = production sequence out of 40,000

Trim 736 = Saddle vinyl, J2 = Power seats

NN = Burgundy paint

The following codes are for options that the Fisher Body plant had to make provisions for before final assembly. Not all options are shown on the plate. You might want to compare your actual car to the options list found on the ROA's website at www.rivowners.org under the Evolution of the Riviera link.

D = provisions for a radio

I6 (not 16) = Tinted glass (all)

N2 = Air Conditioning

U7 = Power windows

Other options such as four note horns, cornering lights, twilight sentinel, guide matic, tires (size white wall or black wall) wheel covers, cruise control could be added to a base car without Fisher Body modifications.

The engine size can be found on the block of the engine. JT = 401, JW = 425. Here's a link to show you where you find the numbers.

Team Buick Forum Just look at the picture of the top of the page, the text does not apply to 1963 cars.

The best two things you can do as a new Riviera owner is to 1) find a chassis manual and 2) Join the Riviera Owners Assn.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your car.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest Hydrus

Thank you so much, that will get me going for now. I need to scrub the grime off the eng., so thanks alot.

It would have been easier if you had started a new thread. It is really hard to find new posts in a thread with 54 replies.

I wold like to know if the A pillars are painted or chrome.

Do you have wood veneer on the doors?

Can I get a picture of the inside surface of the trunk? I want to see the stamping pattern on the trunk "web".

Thanks.