Lift Questions

Hi all- I've been looking around at lifts for the last few months & have been pretty overwhelmed with the variety of products & number of makers out there.

Does anybody have any suggestions/recommendations as far as features & manufacturers? Anything I should avoid? Any advice would be much appreciated-

Thanks!

Chuck

I have a 9000# Bend-Pak two post. I bought it a year ago, cost $2300 delivered. For a "hobby" quality lift I'm VERY satisfied with it. My only criticism is the assembly directions absolutly STINK. There are cheaper ones out there but the Bend-Pak is certified. I think that's important. Once you have one you will never be without one again. If you want commercial quality (and price) think Rotary or Mohawk........Bob

Guest oldsmobile1915

I also have bend-pack 10,000 2 post and a 12,000 4 post extended. I have been very happy.

I use my 4 post as an elevator to the second floor of my garage, and the tailgate of my pickup is even with the second floor, so there is no carrying heavy things upstairs anymore!

I love my lifts, and wont ever go without one again!

Chuck,

I too have a Bend Pac (the smallest four post $2K). Buy only a certified unit for safety. Regardless of where they are made, I think they all have to meet these requirements.

If you only go up and down a few times each year, you really don't need much more than a $2K unit. I use it to store one up and two under, and for routine maintenance on four cars.

If you have several cars and do your own maintenance, you may want to consider a heavier duty model.

I have a mid-rise lift that is the perfect tool for suspension and body work. Your choice will greatly depend on what you plan on using it for. Here are a some of my thoughts...

a) The 4 post type are good for under carriage work and adding a parking spot plus some can be mobile.

B) Two post type are permanently mounted but take up less floor space.

c) Scissor lifts do go high, but are portable, inexpensive and great for body and suspension work.

I also bought a Bend-Pak. I decided that the 2 post lift would better suit my needs so I opted for the #10,000 model. For a few dollars more I got the assymetrical and wide option. It was $2200.00 with free shipping. I have had it for about 2 years and have been totally satisfied.

Once you own one you will never be without again!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest oakland

I am thinking about getting a lift and was wondering how stable the 2 post lifts are. How hard is it to balance the car on it? I assume it has to be bolted down, but do you need any kind of foundation or could you bolt it to a concrete garage floor approximately 4" thick? It seems the 4 post lift would be a lot more stable. I would appreciate any feed back. Thank you.

Guest Leonard Shepherd

I installed a 2 post asymmetrical lift on my garage about 3 years ago. The lift manufacturer - http://www.forwardmfg.com/ only requires a 4" slab, which is what I have. There hasn't been any cracking. I did weld brackets, mainly to support large shelves on both sides on the garage. The advantage of asymmetrical is that you can open the doors of the car while it is on the lift.

I had to build my garage with a cathedral ceiling because of the county zoning codes that restrict the height of a detached building. I also had to make it small because of my lot size. Because of the small size of my garage I built sliding doors because an overhead door would interfere with the car on the lift.

post-52673-143137962268_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have a Backyard Buddy and the minimum is about 10'. I don't think any of them will work with a ceiling much lower than that.

The 4 post will work with lower ceilings, you just won't be able to get the car up high enough to stand underneath it. I bought a lift so I could safely work underneath my cars. It's better than jack stands and easy to get the car up in the air. I have 9' ceilings.

• 2 months later...
Guest Charlie Larkin

I'm kinda doing my "dream shop" now...dream shop because at least for another couple of years, it will be that!

In all seriousness, I prefer to buy American-made tools. I trust the quality and know that certain private and federal standards must be maintained in order to cover their hind-quarters.

Aside from Backyard Buddy, are there any other American-made lifts available short of the heavy-duty commercial models that are still good quality?

Charlie Larkin

I bought a two-post 12,000lb ROTARY lift from the folks in Madison, Indiana and I highly recommend them. I bought the highest rating in the price range at the time.

http://www.rotarylift.com/

I've used it for general duty, to pull engines and lift a body off the chassis.

I also unloaded an 8,000 Monarch lathe from a trailer with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Backyard Buddy and love it. I think it is superbly made and just know that I am safe under it. My garage is only 9 foot 4 inches high, so I don't store another car underneath, but since our stinking homeowner association doesn't allow sheds at least I have room for my tractor, mower, snow blower, etc, etc.

Guest Dave Mills

I just installed a direct Lift, Four Post. My ceiling is 12 feet high in this bay. I am very pleased with it, so far.

Lift_July_26_2008-1.jpg

• 1 year later...