Sign in to follow this  
wwebb

Transmission anomoly

The transmission shifts as smooth as silk and otherwise runs great. Occassionally, however, when I come to a stop sign and immediately proceed, the transmission will, momentarily, not be engaged. Perhaps the anology is a stick shift car and the clutch is disengaged. It only does this rarely. Any suggestions? Is this a warning of a transmission failure?

You must check the level with the engine in idle and the car in park. If you just pull out the dipstick and look, the transmission fluid level can be as much as 3 quarts low and show as full on the dipstick. You must pull out the dipstick, wipe it off, put it back in and then check to get an accurate reading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sahein</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You must check the level with the engine in idle and the car in park. If you just pull out the dipstick and look, the transmission fluid level can be as much as 3 quarts low and show as full on the dipstick. You must pull out the dipstick, wipe it off, put it back in and then check to get an accurate reading. </div></div>

That's the way I did it, with the car fully warmed-up. Fluid level is correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sahein</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it only do it when cold or does it also do it after it has been warmed up from running awhile? </div></div>

I have only had it occur when the car was warmed-up.

Your problem definitely sounds like the transmission is low on fluid or sucking air into the pump.

It is possible that when the fluid and filter are changed the seal around the filter can come off with the filter. Could this have happened the last time the fluid was changed and a new seal was not installed? If so it will allow air to be sucked in around where the filter fits into the transmission for some reason.

Normally this seal is submerged in fluid. The air is sucked in when you hit the brake and the fluid runs away from the side of the transmission the filter is on. Then it will take a couple of seconds for the transmission to purge the air out. During that time the pump can't build adequate pressure to lock the clutch packs and it will feel like the car is in neutral.

Not likely but it could happen. Also be sure it has the correct dipstick for your car.

Hmmm, I had the transmission fluid flushed awhile back, which I have had done on numerous cars without problem. In the flusining process, they do not pull the pan and change the filter. I wonder if the flusing process could have dislodged the filter or cause a problem?

I had a 4T60E do that for a while (revs as if in neutral when starting from a stop)& only when warmed up. Saw something about sticking servos, put a can of SeaFoam in and it healed.