Carburetor options

My Premier originally came with a Johnson carburetor, no parts available and I have heard not a good choice for safety reasons.

I have tried the Carter BB1 with some success, but seems to run rich no matter what I do with main jet adjustment.

What are your thoughts on the new Zenith 267 carburetors ?

I understand most Cadillacs through to possibly the updraft carb V16s had Johnson carburettor.    These were 2 inch throat size.  I have several pages from a contemporary Radco manual scanned into my hard drive so I can readily email them to anyone who needs this.   My first car in the early 1960s was a 1927 Cadillac,  and I never had problem with running or tuning.  The old Cadillac agent here in the 1920s told me that one man bought a new sedan and kept records of fuel used.  It consistently averaged 16 miles per gallon over 66,000 miles.   You may need to make a new cork float; but there are better coatings that you can use now than shellac.   There are essentially only two types of trouble with them:   Dirt trouble, and Spanner trouble.  Once you set the correct fuel level with respect to the tip of the single jet, it should perform well if everything else is correct.   A lot of the control is automatic by bi-metallic strips.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:08 PM, 20Premier said:

Carburetor options

My Premier originally came with a Johnson carburetor, no parts available and I have heard not a good choice for safety reasons.

I have tried the Carter BB1 with some success, but seems to run rich no matter what I do with main jet adjustment.

What are your thoughts on the new Zenith 267 carburetors ?

The new Zenith is too small, which is probably the issue with the Carter BB-1. A carburetor which is too small will run rich up to a point, where the engine simply will not run faster.

The later Premiers, with the same engine, used the Stromberg O-3 carb (a different O-3 was used on contemporary Lincolns). Why not try to find an O-3, and calibrate it for the Premier engine?

Jon.