1920 Premier

I am restoring my grandfathers 1920 Premier model 6-D Roadster, made by Premier Motor Corporation of Indianapolis, Indiana. I would like to find examples of restored or orginal cars in museums or privately held. Also need information and literature that will aid in the restoration. I will share information that I have collected.

post-54566-143137956457_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143137957193_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138116586_thumb.gif

Edited by 20Premier
updates (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ChrisSummers

For what its worth, there's a 1916 Premiere at the ACD Museum in Auburn, IN, and a 1912 at the Nethercutt Collection in Sylmar, CA.

Both museums have research libraries that, after you check at Hershey, might be worth checking out.

• 1 year later...
I am restoring my grandfathers 1920 Premier model 6-D Roadster, made by Premier Motor Corporation of Indianapolis, Indiana. I would like to find examples of restored or orginal cars in museums or privately held. Also need information and literature that will aid in the restoration. I will share information that I have collected.

did the premiere ever get restored

dave

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

Your Premier Restoration looks almost as daunting as the Dixie Flyer just keep plugging away and I am sure that you will get it done.

The reference section of the AACA Library has proved a valuable source of information and are certainly worth a try.

Bernie J.

Hi again Premier20

If you need some more info on the Borg & Beck clutch I could send you the pages out of the Dixie Flyer hand book. It may be of some help when you come to put it all back together again. Let me have your e-mail if you would like to see the relevant pages.

Bernie J.

• 1 month later...

I am still looking for a pair of 3-1/2" warner lenses. We haven't accomplished much this month with the cold weather and Christmas. We hope to have the springs and axles under the frame in early January. Still struggling with deciding who to have work on the radiator, badges, starter and generator.

Have a great New Year !

post-54566-143138150903_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest whildwhun

20 Primear

wondering where you are located. We have a 20 or 21 open touring located on the east end of Long Island car is compleat and unrestored. I will look to sea what liturature we have in the file.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

We are still working on the car. Just starting to work on the wood. The engine is cleaning up good. Had to be a little more aggressive than soda, tried a very fine grade glass bead at low pressure and was very pleased with the results.

Traveled to Connecticut to salvage the remains of a Premier chassis. Brought home an engine and transmission, radiator and shell and many small parts. Thanks to Jim and all his help!

Always looking for more parts ! :eek: Will be going back to hershey again via Kentucky with the girls to see horse stuff, the world equestrian games.

post-54566-143138258285_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Making progress! Working on the doors of the body. Went to Crosscut Hardwoods in Portland OR for a ash. We are trying to save any piece we can. Finally got the clutch apart. We have a broken spring, does anyone know who has these conical springs for clutches?

Our Connecticut trip proved to be very good, the inside of the engine is in excellent shape. I didn't think it would be very good.

Off to Hershey! Contact me if you know of any Premier parts.

post-54566-143138312132_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138312134_thumb.jpg

Edited by 20Premier
did not load pics (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

It turns out that Chris (20Premier) and I stayed at the same hotel during the Hershey meet. We met at breakfast for 3 days straight and talked about, what else, old cars. I had the privilege of looking through the 1920 Premier restoration booklet that Chris is compiling. It is a truly daunting restoration which few people would undertake. I hope that by bumping this thread to the top Chris will give us another update and let us know if he was able to find any parts or leads at Hershey.

Phil

Phil, thanks for the post. I had a great time visiting and sharing our projects. I met some great people at Hershey again. I found a few interesting items this year, a "Premier" brass cap, a Trico wiper, and a retractable dash lamp. What an amazing event that the Hershey Region puts on, incredibly well organized. I am always looking for Premier parts and also compiling a list of cars around the country and world.

Pictures later!

Guest 2moredoors

Glad to see your pics. I was just wondering about you and your car the other day. I was the other fellow who had breakfast with you at the hotel. You are indeed to be admired for attempting your restoration project. With my 2 Studebakers a quick call to Studebaker International or some other vendor and most of what I need is available. Good luck and keep on hunting.

cliff t

Thanks for the post Cliff. The doors are coming along! We are trying to save as much original wood as possible. The body wood is ash made by Fleetwood or possibly Columbia. Brought back engine parts from the body and paint shop today. The valve cover, push rod cover and head look great.

post-54566-143138335976_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138335978_thumb.jpg

post-54566-14313833598_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our trip to Connecticut proved to be very good. When I saw the remains of the car in the brush I thought we had wasted a trip. But, we just opened up the engine and it came apart surprisingly well. We got a lot of very good usable parts. It was amazing how bad the car looked compared to how the engine was on the inside. Two of the cylinders were full of water when we took the head off. The other 4 pistons came right out, and it didn't take too much effort to get the other two. The pistons and rods have to come out the bottom side because the rod bearing is larger than the bore! Really glad we went to Connecticut.

post-54566-143138359547_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138359548_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138359555_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138359557_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138359558_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The battery box is almost finished. The Connecticut car provided the needed pattern, ours was missing. Cutting gaskets for the engine and transmission.

We also started the newly rebuilt engine in my wife's 1969 Chev pickup, it will be a surprise for Christmas. :eek:

post-54566-143138379507_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138379514_thumb.jpg

Working on the engine today. Getting ready to mount the water pump, but need to fix a chip in the aluminum casting on the block. It is behind the gasket of the pump, would JB weld work on the aluminum? It will not be visible. I also need some hose clamps like this one, for 1-1/4" ID hose so about 1-5/8" or 1-3/4" OD. Have not found any in the catalogs I have.

post-54566-143138385853_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138385864_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I’ve been following along and with each step I’m getting more drawn in to this car. I think that the body structure looks amazing with the sheet metal removed. Really like the progress you’ve made too. I’m really looking forward to the time when all things start coming together as I’m sure many others here are. And just to let you know, I know how much work it is and how much extra work is involved in posting your progress and wanted to pass along my appreciation for the extra effort in sharing this project with us.

Scott…

We removed the aluminum skin from the body today! We are very pleased with the condition of the wood. We believe the wood body was made by either Columbia or Fleetwood.

That frame is simply amazing!

Really great project, can't wait for the next update.

• 2 weeks later...

The wood is looking good. A little glue, new screws and some new wood and we will have a body again. We need to do some welding on the aluminum skin, but for being 91 years old it is not to bad!:o I am also working on the thermostat housing, it was made by Fulton Co. of TN (still in business today). Jim at Fulton is going to help with the new bellows.

post-54566-143138443516_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138443526_thumb.jpg

post-54566-143138443535_thumb.jpg