Riviera Dash Trim

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

I recently purchased a 1984 Riviera. There is a plastic trim inserted around the front of the dash that has come loose. The previous owner tried to glue it with no success and I have tried with no success. I used silicone adhesive. Does anyone know of a glue that will bond to the dash? The plastic insert seems to bond to every glue that has been tried. Any help will be appreciated.

Good luck. This is a troubled spot on all of my Riv's. The ones that have the piece intact were glued in the past with some sort of adhesive that when it dries looks like an orange foam. Whatever that is it will work, but it always tends to expand when it dries and goes everywhere. It also has a tendancy to "sort of eat" the dash pad. After these were sucessfully glued then due to heat, the insert trim piece would shrink some and in most cases would destroy the corners of the dash pad. I have been looking on and off for some sort of aftermarket trim that would go in there and not be such a pain. As I said I've not diligently looked for it.

Jayson,

When you find the trim, I am sure you are going to let us all know. Mine is also loose and crappy looking. If I remember correctly, I had a 1980 Park Avenue that also had the same problem. If the trim was the same or not, I do not know but from my recollection it seems that it may have been the same.

I actually found one in a pull your own stuff yard and I could not get it out of the car. Wouldn't you just know it. I broke it trying to be as careful as possible.

Stevo

I had the same problem on my '84 convertible. I came up with what I considered a good fix. I took it all off and left it like that. I had the car at the ROA event in Eureka Springs in 2005, and no one asked me about it so I'm assuming that it wasn't noticable that it wasn't there.

Po' ways for po' people. smile.gif

Ed