Malfunctioning 63 Riv turn signal switch

Guest Minnesota63Riv

Guest Minnesota63Riv

I have tried numerous adjustments on my '63 Riv with tilt steering. The turn signal tends to get "stuck" on the left-turn position. I have cleaned the switch and the cable is nice and free. It seems like an adjustment problem. the wire

seems to "Bind" up when doing a Right Turn signal.

Also, what does the spring on the switch mount actually do?

Thanks

This is a common problem. The plastic housing on your turn signal control wire has probably broken loose from the metal grommet crimped to one end or the other. Look at the end connected to the switch first (because it is out in the open) while you actuate the signal. See if the plastic housing seems to slide away from the switch. If it does, it is broken.

If not on that end, then probably on the signal lever end. Can't see that end so easy. Take the aluminum cover off of the under side of the column. Hold the turn signal cable housing from moving with your thumb while you operate the turn lever. If that seems to fix it, the cable has parted up inside the column head.

Temporary fix (and you can not move the tilt column after you do this, so put it where you like it and remove the tilt lever): to wrap a stainless hose clamp around the column and control wire housing (but not the horn wire) close to the end where it is broken from the end grommet. That holds it from moving when you operate the lever.

I do not think the spring down on the switch does a darn thing, and I suggest you remove it. I think it puts excessive strain on the plastic control wire housing when you tilt the column up, thus breaking the grommet loose from the housing at one end or the other...

HTH.

Guest Minnesota63Riv

You are correct about the wire. The end is broken down by the switch and the previous owner did have a hose clamp wrapped around the steering column. I did remove the steering wheel and noticed that the wire loop came off.

Thanks for your help.