Garage find - 85 T-type for Sale

sosuzguy

A guy has contacted me locally, wanting to sell his car. It's an 85 T-type with I think 122k miles. Moderatly optioned, rear seat reading lights, light monitors, illuminated entry, digital dash, electronic climate control, power passenger seat, leather interior.

Says he bought it back around 1996, drove it for a couple of years. Parked it and it's set. For the last two years it's been hidden inside his fathers garage.

He's asking $1200.00 and will only sell it to someone who will try to restore it and appreciate it. He's turned down many offers to "the tricking out cars" bunch.

Robert Whisenhunt 972-345-0283, the car is in Richardson, Texas.

Pictures can be seen here. http://rides.webshots.com/album/560353487abYaTy

I think $1200 is pretty fair, it may be a little high because it's non running (assume?)

I wish you had more photos because I don't know a lot about these last of this generation T Types.

How many were made? Shouldn't the turbo have been pretty potent by 85, given the same motor was used in GN's?

Did the T-Type have special wheels in 85, as they did in earlier years?

He says it was running and running fine when he parked it. There was so much junk the the garage that's all the pictures I could get. In 1985 there were 65,305 Rivieras made. Of those 1069 were T-types. http://rivowners.org/features/productn.html

Yes this T-type has the special T-type wheels too. The engine in these cars are fine. They are very specific and sensitive to vacuum leaks so when working on them most people will not follow the service manual and check certain things so they end up bad mouthing the engine.

Hey Jayson,

By now you have to know that I just like to stir the pot every once in a while. Seriously, if you start buying parts on evilbay you will spend much more than 1200 and not have a lot to show for it. If someone needs parts, $1200 is a good price and another 6-700 for shipping and you still have a deal.

Later,

Stevo

Sure Stevo.. I just didn't know if you might of been offering $75 for it or what. lol Oh don't mention evilbay... I'm not sure why some sellers think you have to leave their feedback first, especially since they were the ones who received the 1st completed transaction (your payment to them) Those people are just suspicious crooks. Now I've got a negative on my score becuase the guy was mad I gave him a neutral. Of course ebay doesn't want to do a thing with it, but they want to maintain the integrity of their feedback scores !

\/\/hatever

Not that I have any real input on this particular car - but I am a Buick T-Type/GN/Turbo Regal afficiando from way back.

The turbo motors in 85 (affectionatley referred to as a "Hot-air") - is not a bad motor. They are not anywhere near as responsive to modifications as the 86-87 Turbo cars were - as they went to a front mounted turbo and intercooler setup. That 85 Riv will have the 200hp version non-intercooled unit with the turbo mounted right to the back of the intake. You can do some mods - and you can convert them pretty easily to the 86-7 style intercooled setup with the right intake, wiring, and exhaust. Not sure how that work on a Riv....

Anywho - my point was, its not a bad year for the turbo - its a step above the carbed slugs from 78-83, and a step down from the 86-7 units....

Thanks Todd. It would depend on if you wanted it totally original to maybe win a trophy at a BCA National or if you could tweek out an additiona 35-40 hp with intercooling BUT this is FWD so the premise is kind of different.

I never want to get in a habit of smoky burnouts in my FWD cars however, what would be nice is to be slugging along behind Grandma doing 50-55, stomp the gas, wait for (some) turbo lag then feel that lower back thrust into the seat as you confidently move around, that might be fun.

The subject has been brought up before about whether thse 79-85 Rivieras are collectible. In terms of style, accoutrements, and overal performance and handling they are. Of the 3 personal luxury FWD cars GM had, the Riviera had the best styling followed by the Eldorado.

The IRS rear suspension and 4 wheel disc brought these cars to modern (for then) safety and handling standards no seen on other FWD cars from any manufacturer. New they were pricey. Now they represent huge bargains as there are still several around with "low" per year averaged mileage.

There were, last time I checked, still 4 or 5 around central Iowa with under 90,000 miles for sale in the $3500 to $7500 range.

Some people say they can't be restored, but my 68 Riviera now under full restoration is just as complicated - with about 75 pounds of wiring harnesses and hide-a-away headlights.

I see the front seats are cracked. I've seen mint leather seats in boneyards recently, probably now gone