'63 Heater Core Replacement Options

Guest ZombyWoof

Guest ZombyWoof

The picture with this post is of my firewall and heater core covering.

I have a new heater core on the way. I've heard of the two ways to do the replacement (from the engine compartment, or from the inside) with the engine compartment method being easier.

Base on what you see in this picture, is the silver putty-sealant around the covering evidence that the core has been replaced once before, or is that the way it left the factory? (With silver sealant.)

Or, is it impossible to tell?

I'm leaning toward doing the replacement from the engine compartment, and trimming the firewall metal to get the old one out...the decision would be much easier if I knew it was already done that way once before.

post-53132-14313794516_thumb.jpg

Guest Gee_Rydes

I don't think there is any way of removing the heater core from the engine compartment without the use of a sawzall which I would think would be out of the question. The panel you see from the engine side has to loosened as the interior housing is connected to it with the bolts you will have to remove from the firewall side.

Certainly on a 65 there is no way. I can only assume a 63 would be similar.

I think the ROA magazine "Riview" has had an articles on both ways. I don't have access to the mags now but someone here will. That looks like seam sealer added after it left the factory, but doesn't mean the core was replaced from the engine compartment.

John