trim paint

ButchyBoy63

I do not suspect there was a replacement paint spec for that particular type of paint (at least in the paint code books), but GM obviously had some gloss spec for it. I suspect that GM Glossy Black Engine Paint might be pretty close as it matches the black on engine brackets and air cleaners and such. The word "glossy" in the name is a little misleading, though, as it's really a semi-gloss than a hard glossy paint (as an exterior finish normal black paint would be). I've used it to paint black air cleaners (matching the orig paint perfectly in gloss) and also sprayed some into a small glass bottle (carefully!!!) and then brushed it onto engine brackets and other places I was detailing and did not want to fully disassemble things. It works great both ways.

In painting the insert in a chrome item, trying to make it "perfect" would probably be making it "too nice". In many cases, the stencil used in that paint operation was not a "tight" fit and some light areas can happen near the edges of the paint insert area. Definitely NOT a sharp edge as masking tape would leave! But a smoother edge due to the angle of the spray gun to the item being painted--and usually some thinner paint in some areas than many would use if they were doing it themselves--more about "coverage" than "build thickness" of the paint itself.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

If your not an absolute purist - vinyl tape, or material used by sign shops can be laser trimmed to exacting widths. Available in hi-gloss or semi-gloss(semi-matte)finish, it is much more durable than a painted finish, and very easy to apply. In addition, permanent adhesion to smooth chrome or stainless surfaces is not a problem. I used this material on the lower stainless mouldings on my '68 that originally had a black painted inserts with very good results !