'89 Reatta AC service

Have inherited this 82,000 mi Florida car from my Dad and need to get the AC working again - it's mighty sticky here in Myrtle Beach, SC, and I'm new to the area, so I don't have a mechanic that I know/trust!

I feel like a lamb ready for slaughter. The CRT is telling me of low freon and therefore won't engage the compressor to preserve it, or something like that.

Just wondered what out of the ordinary pitch I might hear about this vehicle's AC system (the engine is common enough!) Will I most likely have to switch from the old refrigerant? Is the compressor fairly common and avalable?

Any educated guess what price range I'm faced with, with or without a new compressor?

Thanks - any feedback will be appreciated

Brad

Can't help you in Myrtle Beach. If you want to drive about an hour north to Wilmington, I can recommend a mechanic that is honest, but any A/C work is going to be costly.

To give you an example of how the prices can run....

I recently obtained a 94 GMC Jimmy that has a bad compressor. I was quoted about $750 to replace the compressor and everything else to get the A/C working properly on that one.

Good luck.

sorry that this is so late but if you will unhook the battery you should be able to recharge the system. If you are still R12 then if you dont want to retro then find some freeze 12 on the internet and if your compressor is good you should be good to go. The system the way it works, it sets a code and I dont have the book in front of me and you must reset the code by unhooking the battery before you can do anything and then rehook the battery after a few min. Your compressor will kick in and run if it is a good compressor

Hope this helps