1964 Riviera Tail Light Lenses

Conroy

I am in the midst of rechroming my rear bumper, replacing the tail light bezels and lenses, and touching up the paint in this area. I had seen that CARS had replacement lenses. So upon my removing the tail lights and disassembling them, I had to tear out the lenses since they were calked in with silicone. The lenses were cracked anyway. I ordered several parts from CARS. Unfortunately the order came minus the lenses, with a note that they no longer stock the lenses.

HELP! Does anyone make reproductions, or is there a good source for used ones? I realize ebay has them occasionally, but I did not find any current postings. Any other ideas?

Steve Lancaster

ROA 9842

Guest oakland

There are listings now on Ebay under 1963 Buick Riviera for tail light lenses. I have a 63 and check Ebay every day for listings. I am quite qure that 63 and 64 have the same tail lights. One of the listings is for lenses only. It said one has a hair line crack on one end. It looks like the center logo is missing on both lenses. It expires in a little over one day. The other listing is for complete tail light assemblies with lenses. This listing expires in 6 days. You may want to check them out. If not keep checking daily, as they do come up quite often. Good luck.

Steve,

Don't forget the member/dealers in the Riview like Gene G. Larry Daisy and Dick Sweeney! They specialize in 1st Gen parts and all three are stand-up guys! One of them will have the good quality parts that you need!

Tim McCluskey

ROA 9686

The bezels are the same but the lenses and the emblems are different 63 to 64. The 63 have a round emblem, the 64's an oval one and they are not interchangeable unless you want to have 63 emblems and lenses in your 64. The recess that the emblem fits into is shaped like the emblem, hence no interchange.

I've had an easier time finding 63's than 64's. Also finding good core bezels for rechroming is getting tougher.

Larry

Thanks everyone. I would have to agree that the 63 and 64 lenses are different. There is a shallow recess for the larger oval 64 emblem vs. the smaller round 63 emblem. I did notice that GM Obsolete has new reproductions. I am a shopper and would like to make sure I have options. I will try contacting some ROA sources like Tim suggested.

I went out and took apart the tail light assembly on my 64 this morning. I learned something. smile.gif I guess I was thinking of the replacement lens I saw at an ROA event a few years ago. I think the replacement was made so that it was interchangable for both years; there was no indentation for the medallion, just the hole for mounting the medallion.

• 1 month later...

Azcarman, I want to put in a plug for the tail light lens I purchased from GM Obsolete. I received them today, installed them in the new bezels and mounted them on the car. The lenses are BEAUTIFUL. They are sharply reproduced and have a brilliant reflective quality. You know, I wanted to whine about the price, but we have to realize that having a 64 Riviera is not like owning a Mustang or Chevelle. We pay the price for having a car out of the mainstream of collectors. I am very happy.

Conroy,

Very well said. These cars are not belly button "A" bodies, and anyone who is willing to supply us with nice reproduction parts deserves our business, or they will stop doing it! That is why I always try to recommend vendors who advertise in the Riview!

Take Care,

Tim

• 11 months later...
  • 15 years later...
4 hours ago, cwheelin said:

Is there a certain way to remove the center emblem from the lens?

There is a cut nut on the back of the center emblem that holds it to the lens. You will need to get the tail light assembly out and access the back of the lens.

Bill

IMG_5339.JPG

IMG_5338.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...