defective lumbar control

Guest mjf

I have a 99 Riviera 3.8, TC. The driver side lumbar does not work/broken. It is stuck in the 'out' position. Called local dealer and GM factory rep. Advised part no longer made.

Part # 16812707.

Can anyone help locate a replacement part or tell me how to release the lumbar from the outward position.

Thank you.

In order to get things "fixed", I would wonder if the lumbar mechanism is an air bladder or if it's run by an electric motor which turns a cable which moves a "jack screw wedge" up and down in a frame inside the seat. The method of actuation would determine how to fix it.

The air bladder would have a release port and the cable-run wedge could be run by either a ratchet or a battery-operated drill motor. If it's the latter type, it might be that the cable has broken and just needs that part (rather than the complete module), which might not be available. But, until you get the seat out of the car, you'll not know what needs to be done.

By observation, a good dealership trim technician could probably effect a fix without having to have a new part to replace the one that's broken. In this case, "the fix" would be to put the lumbar adjustment in approximately the place you might desire it, with no real guarantee that it'll ever adjust again once it's set.

If the GMPart Number is for the complete lumbar module, it's very possible that it's not around any more, but it could also fit other GM vehicles as the basic seat structures could be similar and use the same lumbar module item. In searching the salvage yards, they'll sell you the complete seat rather than a part of one.

Personally, when I was doing those things, when I found a discontinued-from-GM part that somebody needed, I'd ALSO check some of the parts locator services (i.e., PartsVoice) and also GM's own parts locator service to see what other dealerships might have current stock on an item . . . AND the full GMParts Inquiry to see how long the part had been discontinued. Only takes a little more time to do that these days, but not everybody is oriented toward those things.

You can also go into www.PartsVoice.com, do the free registration activity, and then put the part number in to check it for availability. It used to put up a dealership listing nationwide (of dealers that subscribe to Parts Voice, for a fee) and their contact information. I recall that some of the listings might be somewhat dated, though. There's also a place called "Vintage Parts International" (listed as "VPI" with a phone number beside certain part numbers in the GMParts database listings) that is a discontinued parts reseller.

Key things are that you have to have trust in that you have the correct part number to chase, plus that if you find one and get it shipped in to you (from the remotely-located dealership), there's "NO RETURN" if it's wrong or doesn't work--you ordered it, you bought it, it's yours. NOT like ordering a current part from GM which the dealership can return if it's not right or isn't what's really needed.

Still, the next step might be to find an understanding dealership service writer AND an experienced dealership trim tech that will know what's going on when they get the seat cover off and try to fix the problem area. If you have to "rig" the jack-screw-wedge adjustment, you might use the passenger's seat to gauge where the driver's seat adjustment needs to be--if the passenger seat has a similar adjustment situation.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest RivyRob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Thank you for your thoughts on this. It looks like I'll have to find a good trim technician.

MJF </div></div>

I'm a good technition....but I'm not all that trim hehehe!

Rob

• 2 months later...
Guest troyala

Dear MJF

New member... 99 Riviera similar lumbar problem. frustrated. part just discontinued like last couple of weeks 16812707.buick won't help.

warehouse in California. Can't get in touch with. did you have any luck?

can you help me? please respond! troy@colourcraftprinting.com