1925 Franklin Rad Cap - Ebay listing

yavid

My father has a rad cap that I believe is for a 1925 Franklin. The cap is a sitting lion that has one of its front paws raised in the air. He mentioned to me that he doesn't know why he still has it so I suggested he try to sell it on Ebay. Just wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not there'd be enough interest in this cap to make it worthwhile to do so.

yavid,

Those "Rampant Lions" show up once in awhile on eBay and they do sell. There's two on there now. I'd wait until those sell then give it a try.

Just so you know, not all are from Franklin grill shells. Many years ago there were repro's made by the Franklin club, mounted on various types of wooden bases and handed out as awards, gifts, or sold. My guess is that most of the ones that show up on eBay were never on a car. I've got one here that's mounted on a wooden desk set to hold pens, pencils, paper clips, etc.

Paul Fitz.

This one is definitly off of a car. My dad got the mascot from his father, who had it put away since the 30's or 40's. Along with the Franklin Mascot/rad cap were two Pontiac rad caps (both have since been sold) as well as about a half dozen ornaments we haven't been able to identify yet.

Weren't the repro lions made by the club more of a series 10 style lion molded into a trophy-like base? My father has a pair of those. There are also Franklin lions still available through JC Whitney, although they look about as good as you would expect for $27.99. It would be nice for your lawn tractor.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10114/s-10101/p-100000170053/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000170053/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000170053

I do agree with Paul that there seem to be more series 11 lions around than there were ever cars built for them. Maybe Paul remembers the details of the kegs of lions that showed up at the Trek back in the 70s. (I was too young at the time.) I know that a bunch of NOS lions were found, and sold as souveniers, but I don't how many.

Steve,

All before my time. You know more about them than I.

When some in "never used" condition showed up, I remember hearing that they were handed out at the Trek. Didn't know JC Whitney was in the act too !

Paul Fitz.

• 4 months later...

There was at least one wooden keg of NOS lions donated to the club and sold as a fund raiser for $50 each. I had one until it was stolen from the parts dept at a much later Trek. They were in perfect condition, each wrapped in newspaper. The Club reproduced the top part of the lion on a round base for the 10th and 25th Treks and without the base for the banquet table centerpiece at the 40th Trek. The 10th and 40th were a silvery color, the 25th was bronzey.

The pose for the lion comes from British heraldry and is properly called Lion Rampant.