rag joint for '63 Riv

Guest Riv63

Riv63,

I have seen rag joint repair kits on ebay from time to time. This isn't a Riviera specific part, so you might try expanding your search to all fullsize GM products fro 63 to 65. If I do come across a source, I'll let you know. One place that I would check with is Lares Co. in Minnesota, they remanufacture steering gears, might make sense that the also have what attaches them to the column!

Good Hunting!

Tim

Guest Riv63

Thanks, Tim and Ed. I checked with Lares and they did have a rag joint coupler, universal for GM '59-'76 which I could buy through Advance Auto. I bought the coupler and found it to be the same one my mechanic used on his '70 Cutlass. As for the Riviera, it was a no go. Seems the Riv coupler is unique with is cone-shaped end. So I will keep looking and keep the forum posted.

• 10 years later...
On 7/13/2007 at 11:37 AM, RivNut said:

Open Google and search for steering joints. There are a lot of companies out there who are making universal universal joints to replace rag joints.

I know this is a fairly archaic post, but I was wondering what your opinion was RivNut. I got a new rag joint from Lares for my 63. I haven't touched it yet. Would you replace the rag joint or convert to a U Joint? I'm not going for original, I'm going for a driver.

There are safety pins that keep control if the rag joint should fail. I replaced mine about 20 years ago. So it is not 50 years old. I wonder how many 50 year old ones are still out there.

Some might be surprised at how well theirs have held up.

Original design is fine.

Bernie