Heater in 1930 car ????

Hi I have a 1930 Jordan Great Line 90 4dr 5pass car, and was wondering if the under-dash heater is ok in the car if "IT" was put in the mid to late thirty's?? I do bleave that it has the Jordan aproved fittings on the car. Due to the Big "G" stampet in all the fittings for the heater. Jordan did this with all parts on the cars "stamping the "G" on them". I can't remember what brand the heater is. I will post it when I have time to go and look. I was just wondering if this thing would make me loose points if it would be judged?? I would like to keep it in the car due to someone went through great work to put this thing in the car.

IF your question is a general one as to "judging" we cant help you in this "thread". HOW the "sport" of "Judging" is practiced depends on the typical car show and/or objectives of the event sponsors.

IF your question is directed specifically towards the Classic Car Club Of America's judging rules, let me give you my personal opinion - please note I have NOT been active in CCCA management for some years - the focus is changing.

Our original purpose was to encourage the preservation of the big "super luxury" cars of the late 1920's thru the late 1930's. Our judging rules were set up to encourage historical accuracy, meaning, a "100 point" car would be one that most faithly represents its condition as a new car on delivery day. Down thru the years, we have had great fun arguing about what to do about OVER-restored cars - cars essentially turned into costume jewelery, that look spectacular, but are finished in materials that did not exist during the classic era.

By the early 1920's, the more expensive cars could be ordered with "factory installed" fairly sophsticated heating systems. From your descrption, what you have in your particular car may not fall under that category. However, ALL car dealers had profitable sidelines of adding accessories at the dealer level. The "factory installed" heaters were obviously more expensive than something that could be quickly installed by hanging them on the firewall. So LOTS of cars of that era had those dealer-installed heaters. The problem I see you could have with a "picky" judge, is arguing whether that heater was "dealer installed", or an "after-market" installation installed AFTER the classic era ended. And if it was "after-market", was it installed during the classic era (we accept cars that were re-bodied during the classic era).

Have you thought of just servicing the car and enjoying it as a delightful mechanical device, coming on CCCA tours and events, and not worrying too much about what others think of your car..?

Guest Chuck Conrad

CCCA judges cars "as they could have been delivered to the original owner." That is different from the AACA idea of judging them "as they left the factory." Dealers very often installed accessories to suit the whims of their clientele. In the case of CCCA Classics, it can be difficult to draw the line between what is truly custom coachwork and what is simply a dealer installed option. I won't go in to the long and convoluted explanation for that guideline, but suffice to say that if the heater looks like something the dealer "could have" installed on the car prior to delivery to the original owner, then it would be accepted by CCCA. AACA would have a different interpretation.

A CCCA Judge would be well within his (or her) rights to ask you for documentation that the heater or any accessory) could have been put on the car by the dealer, before it was delivered to the original owner. Does a 1935 after market heater appear to be very different from a 1930 version? Without documentation, and without seeing it, I can’t give you a definitive answer. More than likely, not very many CCCA Judges are experts on after market heaters. That's not to say you won't find one that is.

Peter's advice is very good, unless you are trying to restore a car with the expectation of scoring 100 points. If you have an eye on the concours circuit and want to have a "Pebble Beach" quality car, you might want to do your research very thoroughly. There is nothing wrong with aiming that high. I commend the folks who do it, because it gives those of us with more ordinary means something to really admire. For most of us, simply enjoying the car for what it is, and having fun with it is reward enough. This is a hobby. Whatever your level of involvement is, be sure to have fun while you are doing it.

I have some info on that heater in the car. It is a "HA DEES" hot water fresh air heater. Liberty Foundries Company, Rockford,IL Pat # 17131. I am going to look up the pat# and see when it was given to them. I would just like to see when this thing was made. Thanks for all your input and info on this. I just don't know what way to go with this car. I would like to get it as near to a 100pt car as I can, But I would still like to drive it. I don't want to get to crazy with it. I like to drive my cars. I have a 1953 Plymouth that I am getting back on the road, and I use the heck out of that thing YEAR ROUND.