2001 Meets?

Guest snkchevcol

Guest snkchevcol

Does anybody know where some of the meets will be next year? I looked in the Antique Automobile on the calander page, but it only listed tours along with one meet. <P>I got to reading about how the meets are divided into spring and fall and just got curious about next years meets.<P>Rock

As usual, the editor of ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE is a little behind in his work.. Overburdened by the many hats he chooses to wear I guess.<P>My schedule, which is admittedly a little out of date, shows the following Meets:<BR>Talladega, AL in April<BR>San Diego, CA in May<BR>Johnstown, PA in May<BR>Minnesota in June<BR>Hickory Corners, MI in July<BR>Bardstown, KY in August<BR>Denver, CO in late August<BR>Hershey, PA in October<P>I also believe there is a Meet in Punta Gorda, FL in late Feb or early March.<P>That's the best I can do. Perhaps if you write the the AACA Vice President of National Activities he could send you a 2001 schedule and maybe jack up Headquarters. I have had a list all these meets for over a year, except for Punte Gorda. Of course I got mine through the back door. Why the Calendar of Events is so out of date defies explanation. frown.gif ~~ HV<p>[This message has been edited by hvscotyard (edited 06-22-2000).]

Good point Peter. Unfortunately the 2001 schedule of events there is no better than what is in the magazine. Our future Meet schedule is apparently designed to be one of the best kept secrets around. Too bad we can't introduce that kind of security into Los Alamos! <P>There are many of us in the AACA, myself included, who like to plan their lives a little farther out than next weekend. Vacation schedules, family committments and financial considerations all come into play.<BR>I will now start getting a vehicle ready for the 2001 Grand National because it is in Moline, IL., only 800 miles away. Central PA this year was just too far. Hey Headquarters -- Some of us like to plan ahead. Give us a break!<P>Will the Vice President of National Activities please take note of this thread and see if something can't be done to better serve the membership. frown.gif<P>Perhaps the Vp of Publications and the VP of National Hq. Ops. could help out on this one.<BR>If nobody can improve the dissemination of information to our members then perhaps someone needs explain why our Schedule of Events is kept so scanty.<P>Just one member's opinion.<p>[This message has been edited by hvscotyard (edited 06-23-2000).]

I asked one of the directors in Cheyenne for next years schedule and he mailed it to me.<BR>The list contains the event, dates, location,<BR>chair, chief judge, Host hotel and chairman.<BR>It is not stamped confidential, secret, or even top secret as a mater of fact. It did not even come in a plain brown wrapper.<P>I will check this week end with the director and with his permission I will post it. I know of no reason that is is such a guarded secret.<BR>later-jac<BR>

Thanks Jim, Your data is more up to date than mine. It seems a shame that we have to resort to this in order for our fellow members to know the AACA Meet schedule a year in advance.<P>AACA publishes an expensive to produce magazine and pays an Editor and staff a goodly amount to do the job. You would think they could get the job done in a timely manner. frown.gif ~~ HV

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hi all, Boy, we are demanding! Our editor is involved in too many things and he is entitled to a life outside of the hobby. Maybe you National Directors could see to different staffing arrangements. SalG rolleyes.gif<p>[This message has been edited by SalG (edited 06-23-2000).]

Bill, There is no Meet in your part of the country right now because no one has requested to put one on. AACA does not place<BR>Meets, they only respond to applications to host meets. The club just can't say for example, ok Region in Midland, or elsewhere in Taxas, put on a Meet.<P>There have been numerous National Meets in Tucson and Dallas in years past. There are just so few Regions in the Southwest that it is impossible to get Meets there very often. All National Meets must be put on by a Region or Chapter or a group of them. It isn't easy finging groups willing to take on that responsibility.<P>So please don't fault AACA. They do their best to encourage meets in the SW. They just don't come to pass like they did in times past. smile.gif ~~ HV

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Do any of you find the calendar on the home page somewhat difficult to decipher? Currently, you must read through the details of the text to determine the location of the event. I think it would be helpful if the date was immediately followed by the location. That way, it would be easy to determine whether an event is close enough to your area for you to attend. Don't take this as criticism. This is the best web site going! It is only a suggestion.

HV,<BR>I don't fault AACA, I realize it is nobody stepping up to the plate down in this part of the woods. <P>I guess if we are ever going to get one, sombody is going to have to take the job on. <P>Maybe a little politicing is in order.<P>Bill

The Tucson Region had 4 national meets in 8 years... is that a record? smile.gif<P>Peter Gariepy<BR>Meet Chairman 1992, 1996<BR>Meet Registration 1999<BR>Grand National Meet Registration 1999<BR>(and STILL MARRIED!)<P> grin.gif<P>------------------<BR>Peter Gariepy<BR>peterg@aaca.org<P>www.aaca.org

Yes Peter, I think it is. Without you guys we would be very thin in the SW. Cheyenne has held Meets in '84, '89, '94, '98 and '00 but that is 5 in 16 years. Your average is better even if we claim the one in Laramie in '95. You guys WIN smile.gif ~~ Howard

Well, since we've just completed a great Founders Tour here in Virginia, I can start to catch up on some e-mail, etc. First let me explain something about the calendar in Antique Automobile Magazine. <P>The National Board of Directors grants Interim approval to an activity prior to all details being finalized. Once everything is firm and under contract we can grant FINAL approval. Only then can we list the activity in Antique Automobile Magazine. <P>At our June Board meeting in Nashville we granted Final status to most of the 2001 events and our next issue of Antique Automobile Magazine will reflect that. I will have Peter ensure this site is also updated. Later in the year we will also be printing business-card sized activities schedules and these will be available at the Fall Meet in Hershey at our Headquarters and membership locations and will also be available to Region and Chapter newsletter editors through the Rummage Box or by simply calling Hershey and asking. <P>The reason we don't list events until final approval has been granted of course is that dates, locations, etc are all subject to change. We wouldnt want anyone travelling to the other end of the country on the wrong weekend!<P>Here is the list so far:<BR>Feb 9-10 Annual Meeting, Philadelphia PA<BR>Mar 8-11 Winter Meet, Punta Gorda, FL<BR>May 3-5 SE Spring Meet, Talladega, AL<BR>May 20-23 E Divisional Tour, Montross, VA<BR>May 31-2 Jun E Spring Meet, Johnstown, PA<BR>Jun 8-9 Cent Spring Meet, Rochester, MN<BR>Jul 29-Aug 3 Founders Tour, Western, NY<BR>Aug 9-11 SE Fall Meet, Bardstown KY<BR>Aug 17-18 Grand Natl Meet, Moline IL<BR>Aug 27-29 W Divisional Tour, Ft Collins, CO<BR>Sep 9-14 Vintage Tour, Trexlertown, PA<BR>Sep 23-28 Glidden Tour, Mackinaw City, MI<BR>Oct 10-13 E Fall Meet, Hershey PA<P>Still with only Interim approval are<BR>May 17-19 W Spring Meet, San Diego, CA (possible date change to April)<BR>Jun 14-16 Cent Divisional Tour, Baton Rouge,LA<BR>Jul 5-7 Cent Fall Meet, Hickory Corners, MI<BR>Aug 24-25 W Fall Meet, Northglenn, CO<P>Hope this helps and explains why the magazine does not now list all 2001 events.<BR>Terry Bond<BR>VP Natl Activities<BR>

Terry ~ A lot of work up above. I was wondering why the SE Divisional Tour on tap for Nov. 1-3 which does have "interim approval" was not included? Thanks ~ Patt

Thanks Patt, in my haste to get the data into a readable format I skipped that one. I know it'll be a great tour!<BR>Terry

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Terry, How about list events that are tentative by saying it is tentative and then someone has a basic idea and they can check later aditions of Antique Automobile and the site for the most current info. Only and idea. SalG