1936 6 cy engine parts

The engine runs fine, but I have found two broken off exhaust manifold bolts and can not get one freeze plug to stop leaking. Plan to have machine shop fix. Question is are manifold and exhaust pipe gaskets available? if so who has them? Not sure of part numbers, engine is in a 1935 Dictator. Would it use the same gasket as a 1935 engine? Ken, Deltaville, Va

When car was bought, I found and bought an original 1935 manual, but I subsequently  found out car's engine was 1936.  Then bought SI's master catalogs  1934-46; and 1929-1940.   Those two manuals appear to be in a foreign language.  I find the  post war Studebaker reprint catalogs  are far more useful.  Ken, Deltavilel Va

Also, what does "O" warning points mean? 

Edited by ken1007 (see edit history)

Guest 37Dictator

Ken....have you looked on the internet for the list of Studebaker part suppliers ....Studebaker International will have the gaskets you are looking for ....and the exhaust pipe gasket should be available at any muffler shop. When you say you are not sure of the part numbers have purchased a parts manual ..they are reproduced and you can identify the parts by number then.

• 3 weeks later...

Ken....have you looked on the internet for the list of Studebaker part suppliers ....Studebaker International will have the gaskets you are looking for ....and the exhaust pipe gasket should be available at any muffler shop. When you say you are not sure of the part numbers have purchased a parts manual ..they are reproduced and you can identify the parts by number then.

I'll try SI again, but so far, of a list of about 25 parts they came up with one, right side wiper motor.   Pulled the gas tank out today and it needs to be replaced   sending uni checked out.  Also there is a round "cap" on top of the tank on the opposite end of the gas intake; is that some kind of "breather"?    Ken, Deltaville, Va 

ken 1007

Why don't you post what you are looking for here. Keep it simple but I am guessing there are a lot of spare parts lying around out here that you could use.

I was able to find everything I have needed in restoring two 1937 Dictator engines on eBay, Studebaker International, and of course a network of Studebaker friends here on this site. A lot of us have a lot of stuff lying around. I just worked out a deal with another CE owner to get him two CE rear fenders to replace the shabby ones he had. Mine were just taking up room in the shop.

ken 1007

Why don't you post what you are looking for here. Keep it simple but I am guessing there are a lot of spare parts lying around out here that you could use.

I was able to find everything I have needed in restoring two 1937 Dictator engines on eBay, Studebaker International, and of course a network of Studebaker friends here on this site. A lot of us have a lot of stuff lying around. I just worked out a deal with another CE owner to get him two CE rear fenders to replace the shabby ones he had. Mine were just taking up room in the shop.

Hi Don, I have posted a list on this forum twice in October, a combined almost 200 views, but no replies.  I did buy a core EX-23 from you and an original manual from RBK.  Found lens and a few other parts on Ebay and leads from this and the Studebaker forum.  SI, who usually has every possible part for post war cars had only one part from my list of about 25 parts.  In some cases I have the part but am looking for a better part.  After several decades of frame off post war Studebakers, I took on this 35 Dictator project, and soon realized parts are very difficult to find, an observation noted by others on the forum.   I am still working on it and am grateful for the support received from guys like you and others, who have answered many questions as even the documentation for pre war cars is not a good as post war documentation.  Ken, Deltaville, Va

Ken

I could not find a list of parts you needed .

You bought the original parts manual from me.

The substitution of a 1936 engine in your car was common.

The 1932-1935 Cole-Vail engine blocks were prone to cracking just behind the starter .

For 1936 Studebaker added cooling water tubes in the block just behind the water pump

to improve water circulation and also eliminated the outline of the cylinders on the outside of

the block adding strenght to the casting.

Studebaker offered a complete conversion kit to install the 1936 engines in the earlier cars.

This included motor mounts and linkages and a complete engine.

If you are interested I have a complete engine with the aluminum head for the 1935 six.

The engine was reportedly rebuilt by a Studebaker dealer.

I also have a flywheel with the starter gear , crank shaft and many used parts for the 1935 engine and two complete T83 transmissions

I am having health problems ever since a stroke last year but am getting back to selling cars and parts.

Robert Kapteyn

http://www.studebakerstore.com/Studebakerstore.com/Welcome.html

Edited by rbk (see edit history)