Pinstripe question-redux

Cargirl

Sorry for yet another pinstripe question. Here is a clip from an old post:

4) the front section (fender and door) runs from 1" from the front of the fender tip, and runs 17.5 inches onto the front of the door.

5) the rear section covers a part on the rear of the door, onto the quarter panel, trunk, and around the other side. the distance on the rear section of the door is 9 1/4".

Can anyone with a car with original pinstripes confirm these numbers, specifically the 1" from the front of the fender, 17.5" onto the front of the door and 9 1/4 rear section of the door.

Also, the pinstripe is 1/8 on top, 1/16th to 3/32ths space and 1/16th on the bottom. Thanks a million for your help!

Guest my3buicks

post-30591-143143101783_thumb.jpgBrenda, I went down an measured with a sewing tape and came up with totally different results

if I put the tape on the end of the front stripe and measure around the end of the front fender to the edge there is 2 1/2 inches, the one inch could be a guestimate as to where the end of the fender side is, but to measure around to where the fender ends by the hood is more precise.

my front part of the door is 16.5, an inch less

and my rear part of the door is 8 1/4, an inch less

so mine are no where close to the ones you have listed.

post-30591-143143101751_thumb.jpg

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Better do some more research. It's possible the pinstripes are not uniform and may very slightly from car to car. I believe mine are original on both sides. Mine measures 1" from the front of the fender if you follow the same line as the pinstripe. Mine also measures 17-1/2" on the front of the door. It measures 7-3/8" on the the rear of the door. As you can see in the photo is stops even with the edge of the door handle.

post-52331-1431431021_thumb.jpg

post-52331-143143102076_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

I believe they were hand painted with a striping wheel, so discrepancies would and should be expected. Here are a couple other ultra low mileage original cars - can't measure the door stripes but the front is shown.

post-30591-14314310223_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143143102232_thumb.jpg

Keith have you checked the stripes on both sides of your car? My stripes on the front of the door are about 3/4" longer on the passenger side than the driver side. I don't notice it without measuring since the stripes stop under the mirrors. All the stripes are worn about the same and appear to be original.

Guest my3buicks

Mine are off about 1/4 inch on the door Ronnie between sides, fronts are the same, or close enough to be called the same lol

IMHO any persons who actually applied those gorgeous pinstripes that are reading this thread are LTAO!

Lots of latitude on those beauties before they went out the door in Lansing, but they certainly add a "sizzle" to the appearance of our beloved Reattas.

My extremely low mileage '91 red 'vert had them dealer-added and they look great. My '89 coupe had them

body-shop added last year and they also look great.

Bottom line.......enjoy them and STOP agonizing over an 1/8" or 1/4 inch of so-called accuracy.

Just my laid back opinion on the subject.

There was a video of the Craft Centre somewhere, perhaps on that DVD set that one of the members here made a few years ago, that showed the pinstriping being performed. There was a form that was pressed up against the side of the car. The striper then hand painted the pinstripes based on it. So there certainly was room for variation. I've also seen cars in wrecking yards that had fenders replaced with same color used ones, and the pinstripes did not exactly align between the fender and door.

Thanks for the help guys, I do have what I need at this point. That being said, just for the nostalgia value I would love to see the Craft Centre video about the pinstripes or any other production video for our cars :)

Guest my3buicks

The white convertible in the beginning of the 1990 Buick Preview video has the front stripes wrap around and appear to be an inch from the edge. I think I prefer the look of it not starting the wrap around the front better.