68 Buick AC removal

Guest bugsy1955

Guest bugsy1955

Hello~

Son has a 68 Lesabre and the AC system is shot. Since we have to fix the heating system, he wants to remove the AC system (why have if doesn't work). Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Is it as easy as just removing the compressor and hoses under the hood?

Thanks!

Kevin

Yes it is that easy. Make sure you don't remove the heater hoses or you'll be cold in the winter. The process of a complete conversion is difficult. The hole in the firewall for a base heater unit is generally larger than the hole for AC units, so you'd be making more work for yourself. Jim

Guest bugsy1955

That sounds good Jim. Once the hoses are removed, is it necessary to do anymore than seal up the disconnected hose ends that are still on the car?

Thanks for the reply!

Guest Bob Call

Please read my replies to your postings under the Technical forum. I strongly disagree with jsmittie41's advice above.

Certainly you can just remove the a/c compressor, condenser, and seal the hose ends under the hood, BUT what does that solve?

What is "shot" about the system? Is the compressor worn out? Is the condenser leaking? Is the receiver/drier losing its dessicant? Is the POA valve stuck? Is the evaporator core leaking? Is the heater core leaking? Is the instrument panel control not working correctly? Once we know the answers to those questions, then we might be better able to offer information of how to "fix" it. I saw the other posting, but haven't read it just yet.

You and your son should realize, too, that with the a/c system "removed", the potential resale value of the car will take a HUGE hit? Regardless of where you might live.

It would be MUCH better to repair the system and have it working well on R134a (which can be easily done with an internal adjustment of the POA valve . . . they claimed it can't be done, but IT CAN, very easily once the valve is separated from the lines. I can supply the instructions if you'll send me a PM with your email address.

Please advise of the operational issues with the a/c system.

NTX5467

Now that I've read the more-detailed post in the other forum, IF the only issue is the defrost/floor issue, THAT should be an easy one! At least on the more modern cars with that issue, it means the hvac system has lost its vacuum source and goes into the "default mode" of air distribution, regardless of what operational mode you might desire it to be in.

The vacuum circuit feeds off of a vacuum source either on the intake manifold, the power brake vacuum check valve (at the booster), or possibly a cruise control vacuum line (if equipped). From that vacuum source, the hose will go to a vacuum reservoir, either a metal "grapefruit juice can" or a round plastic sphere near the a/c evaporator core housing. From there, the line will pass through the firewall into the inside of the passenger compartment, to connect with the vacuum selector switch on the back of the instrument panel control.

On the back of the instrument panel control, there is usually a round, pot metal "double-disc" vacuum mode selector valve, held together with a metal spring clip. The one section rotates against the other one, where the vacuum goes is controlled. As these two pot metal pieces operate "metal to metal", sometimes wear can make the seal imperfect. Some of the vintage a/c parts people might have them or can rebuild yours. While looking around under the instrument panel, check the vacuum actuators to make sure they are not leaking, for good measure (using a hand vacuum pump).

So, basically, trace the vacuum line from the engine through the firewall, checking the vacuum reservoir for integrity and/or leaks, then the line to the back of the a/c control. If that does not find some issues with vacuum loss, then the next item would be the a/c control in the instrument panel.

HINT: Sometimes mechanics who don't want to take in a particular job, which they might not have any knowledge of OR they figure can return to "Bite them", or one they'll "own forever", have been known to say "It's shot, not worth fixing . . . " so the customer will go away OR find another mechanic who might have a better idea of what's going on, especially on older vehicles . . . by observation. Then, too, this might be something easy enough for your son to trace out himself one afternoon, or even with your help.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest bugsy1955

Thank you for the replies. Everyone will be happy to hear my son is keeping the AC. Just removed the belt.

Thank you NTX5467! Had my son read and re-read your post. We will conquer in the coming weeks.

Anyone know of a good Buick mechanic in the Philadelphia, PA area. We live in Montgomery County.

Thanks!

K

Guest bugsy1955

Actually I just asked him the same question. I would love to fix his ac but not even sure where to start. Just so happens my cars never have ac - 62 skylark convertible, 55 Super.

Great point on the mechanics.

Unfortunately, "modern mechanics" grew up with fuel injection, electronic engine controls, and front wheel drive cars or maybe turbo-diesel pickup trucks. As "modern" as a late 1960s car might be for some of us, it's NOT "modern enough" to allow OR find "anybody" to work on it and THEY know what they're looking at.

Keep us posted on y'alls progress.

NTX5467