Street full of cars

West Peterson

Can't help with any of the cars or location but I love the old photography. I am so grateful to all of those men who had the foresight to capture the moment for us. Incredible street shot of both vehicles, structures and crowd ! Looks like a modern day black Friday sale...

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I would like to offer some observations of the circa 1910 picture. The store on the right has a sign that appears to say "E. L. Smith & Co.". From a web search, the E. L. Smith & Co. had dry goods stores in several towns. However, I did find at least one Smith store that sold Stoddard-Dayton automobiles. The car that is on the left of the center three cars could be a circa 1910 Stoddard-Dayton, because of the radiator shell design and that the shell is painted body color.

I tried, unsuccessfully, to identify the location of the picture, as there are more than 21 towns in the USA named Manchester. The picture seems to be a late 19th century mid-west farm town. The town seems to having a celebration or an automobile tour that originated in the town or passed through the town.

post-52807-143143102854_thumb.jpg

post-52807-143143102856_thumb.jpg

post-52807-143143102862_thumb.jpg

Hi 39BuickEight, Manchester, Oklahoma, seems much too small (at least today) to be the town in the vintage picture. Also, there are not any brick buildings (present day) in Manchester, Oklahoma, that match the vintage picture. Grandpa

I thought the same thing, but the ad is for E.L. Smith & Co. and I can't imagine that company had stores in multiple towns named Manchester. You never know I suppose. This article describes a RR passing through, and there is a RR crossing in the photo, though many towns had RR access at that time.

It is also evident that virtually none of the photos that come up are actually in Manchester, OK. A gift shop/cafe named "Oklahoma" that's actually in Manchester, England makes it confusing. Go figure.

http://www.oklahomacafe.co.uk/

http://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entry=MA009

That page indicates a population much greater then than now, if you consider 271 vs. 103 much to rely on. It has lost 2/3 of it's population over time.

If you go to Google Maps and look, there is a gravel/dirt lot where all of the brick structure would/should be....??? It fits somewhat when you line up the RR crossing.

The town appears to be a hub for one large grain operation and that's it. When you look down the streets it's very barren overall.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

I looked at Google Street View for Manchester, Oklahoma, and I think that it could be the location of the vintage picture. It appears that the picture was taken on Main St., looking east toward the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway grade crossing. The train tracks are now gone, but their route can be seen in aerial images. The brick buildings on the right side of the vintage picture are no longer there. However, the smaller brick building on the left side of the vintage picture is still standing. The slight rise in the distance in the Google picture (by the water tank) is the location of the old railroad grade crossing (that can also be seen in the vintage photo).

Grandpa

post-52807-143143103529_thumb.jpg