best source for brake hoses

jimy

The right front brake hose failed last night on my 1935 KC truck. The truck just has a few hundred miles on it after a 10+ year restoration. I believe the brakes were done about 8 years ago and I do not know the source of the brake hoses. I am considering replacing the other side and the rear hose as well to regain some confidence (I live on a hill!).

I want a quality part and something that hasn't been on the shelf for years. Can anyone recommend a "go to" source for these hoses?

thanks,

Jim

Thanks, that does look like a good source.

It looks like there is a set that fits 1935 and a set that fits 1936. Does anyone know if my second series 35 might require the 1936 set of hoses?

Jim

Personally, I'd take the hose (or hoses if the front and rear are different) to your local wholesale brake and friction supply company. That would be the place that your local garages get their brake parts from. Same place will likely be able to match up your hydraulic cylinder parts and possibly also reline your brake shoes.

Barring that, what it the part number? A remarkable number of old Chrysler corporation part numbers will give a match to a modern equivalent on the NapaOnline web site. Very likely you can then use that modern number to pick up the hoses at your favorite local auto supply store which will help keep them in business and will give somebody to complaint to across the counter in person if they aren't up to proper standards.

Guest Bob Call

Take the old hoses to NAPA or a brake and clutch supply and they can match them. If you ever want to change master and/or wheel cylinders rockauto.com has Raybestos and Dorman brands in stock, or, call Northwestern Auto Supply in Grand Rapids, MI, 800-704-1078, they have everything.

If they are the same as '36 I can furnish you with Wagner numbers. If not, I have an old Wagner buyers guide; if you can give me the lengths and the end sizes I can probably get you the Wagner numbers, then they can be crossed over. They still should be available. Just PM me. Jim

Thanks for all the suggestions. New hoses have been ordered.

I feel lucky to have gotten the brakes pumped back up in time to only overshoot the stop sign by a foot or so. Not a good feeling when the pedal hit the floor! After that I had enough brakes to slowly limp home on a carefully chosen route. If only I had parked in my workshop rather than my smaller garage. As I inspected it, I gave the hose a wiggle and it just dumped the fluid at that point - so it will stay put for the repair.

Jim